ForeFlight vs Garmin Pilot

I tried really hard to read what you just wrote and simply couldn't get through it. I'd suggest you learn to use paragraphs if you're going to put that much work into writing something...

+1 I though it was only me. I don't even take the time to read long stories. By the time I get to the end I forget the begining. Oh well. Maybe I am getting old.

José

:eek:) (and here I sit knowing that, without name, on more than a few occasions I've been chastised for being the Grammar Nazi.)

:eek:) HR

I tried really hard to read what you just wrote and simply couldn't get through it. I'd suggest you learn to use paragraphs if you're going to put that much work into writing something...

+2 Impossible to read.

But the only GPS navigation systems that are FAA approved use vector based charting. I myself prefer vector based charts because you can declutter them to enhance what you actually need. All the airliners Navigation Displays are vector charts, with no VFR charts.
:confused::confused:
Huh??
Airline pilots use all kinds of charts, hi-altitude enroute, approach plates, etc, none of them are vector-charts, but all are FAA approved.
Perhaps you confuse look-up charts with information displayed on moving maps, etc.
Take a look at a typical airliner with electronic flight bag (EFB ) and look at the charts .. they are regular charts you can buy in printed form, none of them can be 'decluttered' but navigation maps displayed on PFD/MFDs can in fact be de-cluttered but they are NOT charts.

After all why would you need a VFR chart when you are using GPS for navigation.
What does one have to do with another :confused:
You navigate by whatever means AND you have charts (VFR, IFR, etc) handy for various reasons. Some charts (they may be VFR) you must have aboard to be in compliance with FAR regulations depending when you conduct your flying (for example I must have Los Angeles terminal area map if I want to fly through their VFR corridor).

Something tells me you aren't a pilot.

Last edited:
I thought only permanently installed panel mounted GPS units were "FAA approved"? Has this changed?

Personally, I use a VFR chart with my GPS for many reasons. One is the number printed in each grid telling me the height MSL of the highest obstacle in that grid. I fly higher that that and helps to keep me out of trouble. The VFR chart also shows towns, water, some roads, rail roads, very useful for keeping positional awareness if the GPS should stop working. It's also nice to know what I'm looking at as well. One reason I like ForeFlight is the VFR charts. I'm not flying an airliner, so VFR charts work for me.

Vector charts work for you and that's fine, I won't say it reflects on your flying or skills, it's just your preference.

VFR charts originated as a mean of navigation by ground reference for those planes that were not equipped with radio navigation equipment. But in a GPS navigator they serve no aid for locating yourself on the map since that is the purpose of the GPS system. But if the batteries on your iPad die so is your VFR chart. For navigation back up you will be better off having a paper VFR chart onboard.

I prefer on the navigation display those items that are relevant to my flight such as airspaces, MOAs, intersections, NAV aids, airports, ADIZ, weather, airspace boundaries and others. I careless for raliroad tracks, stadiums, city boundaries, farms and other stuff not relevant to the flight that clutters and degrades the overall contrast ratio of the display.

Here

https://www.google.com/search?q=B77...GKoHT2wX1j4HQDA&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1119&bih=580

you can see what airline pilots use. In the event of a loss of navigation display they just call ATC for vectors.

José

VFR charts originated as a mean of navigation by ground reference for those planes that were not equipped with radio navigation equipment. But in a GPS navigator they serve no aid for locating yourself on the map since that is the purpose of the GPS system. But if the batteries on your iPad die so is your VFR chart. For navigation back up you will be better off having a paper VFR chart onboard.

I prefer on the navigation display those items that are relevant to my flight such as airspaces, MOAs, intersections, NAV aids, airports, ADIZ, weather, airspace boundaries and others. I careless for raliroad tracks, stadiums, city boundaries, farms and other stuff not relevant to the flight that clutters and degrades the overall contrast ratio of the display.

Here

https://www.google.com/search?q=B77...GKoHT2wX1j4HQDA&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1119&bih=580

you can see what airline pilots use. In the event of a loss of navigation display they just call ATC for vectors.

José
I really don't care what airline pilots use. I don't fly that way, just VFR. I'm happy with the VFR charts on ForeFlight. I wasn't trying to convert you to the VFR charts, I only responded to the comment "Why would you need a VFR chart when using a GPS". I gave my reasons. As I only use an external GPS, I can still use the iPad charts if the GPS fails.

:confused::confused:
Huh??
Airline pilots use all kinds of charts, hi-altitude enroute, approach plates, etc, none of them are vector-charts, but all are FAA approved.
Perhaps you confuse look-up charts with information displayed on moving maps, etc.
Take a look at a typical airliner with electronic flight bag (EFB ) and look at the charts .. they are regular charts you can buy in printed form, none of them can be 'decluttered' but navigation maps displayed on PFD/MFDs can in fact be de-cluttered but they are NOT charts.

What does one have to do with another :confused:
You navigate by whatever means AND you have charts (VFR, IFR, etc) handy for various reasons. Some charts (they may be VFR) you must have aboard to be in compliance with FAR regulations depending when you conduct your flying (for example I must have Los Angeles terminal area map if I want to fly through their VFR corridor).

Something tells me you aren't a pilot.

EFB are not used for navigation guidance but for reference. A Navigation Display is actually used for enroute and approach guidance providing horizontal and vertical cues up to CAT-II. Vector chart GPS navigators are FAA approved for LPV approaches but I have yet to see an EFB or iPad approved for an LPV approach.

I have a G530W that depicts more accurately the airspace around LAX without being cluttered by ground reference stuff in a VFR chart.

Something tells me you are a dog.

José

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can overlay the approach plates in Garmin Pilot like you can in Foreflight?

Thanks that will work if you get georeference in both. I use foreflight now and love that feature, but plan to switch to GP.

Looking ahead for 2020 ADS-B in/out. Will need to update my transponder then need a WAAS GPS to feed to it, so Garmin GX 330-ES (mode S ) and hoping the Garmin GDL39-3D will do. Then need to swap Foreflight for Garmin Pilot. Any suggestions or advice for the upgrading?

Looking ahead for 2020 ADS-B in/out. Will need to update my transponder then need a WAAS GPS to feed to it, so Garmin GX 330-ES (mode S ) and hoping the Garmin GDL39-3D will do. Then need to swap Foreflight for Garmin Pilot. Any suggestions or advice for the upgrading?

The GDL39 will do for in but it'll only display on your portable devices. If you want to display ADS-B In data on your panel-mount gear, you'll need something else - GDL 88 would work, and with that you wouldn't need to update your transponder.

And ForeFlight with a Stratus 2 would give you the same capabilities as the GDL39-3D with Garmin Pilot - No need to switch.

... hoping the Garmin GDL39-3D will do.
As a WAAS data source for the transponder? I doubt it. Garmin is not going to let you use a cheap data source where they have expensive ones for sale.

My guess is that as the day approaches there will be multiple vendors with all-in-one boxes, WAAS GPS+Out+In, and that competition will drive prices down. That will probably end up being the way to go for many of us. If I understand it correctly, the current Garmin GDL-88 is an example.

Get a GNS430W, and a stratus 2 for the iPad. The GDL39-3D will not drive your Garmin GTX 330ES transponder.

Thanks guys for the info. Best to wait and let them battle it out with tech-o boxes. Guess for now get a stratusII for my FF and cancel my Garmin 496 XM subscription.

This year had both. Prefer flying with the Garmin, flight planning with the FF. With the 6.0 update switching over to GP completely (I've the GDL box). Either one is a great product though.

As a WAAS data source for the transponder? I doubt it. Garmin is not going to let you use a cheap data source where they have expensive ones for sale.

My guess is that as the day approaches there will be multiple vendors with all-in-one boxes, WAAS GPS+Out+In, and that competition will drive prices down. That will probably end up being the way to go for many of us. If I understand it correctly, the current Garmin GDL-88 is an example.

Garmin isn't the outfit that won't permit it, it is the FAA by regulation:

91.225 Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Out equipment and use.

(a) After January 1, 2020, and unless otherwise authorized by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft in Class A airspace unless the aircraft has equipment installed that--

A portable GPS or ADSB receiver is not considered as an installed piece of equipment! The installation must be installed in an approved manner, AC 20-165A describes a means to accomplish this.

Can anyone tell me if Garmin Pilot ( in split screen mode - map on top and approach chart on bottom ) show the position Geo-referenced on both, when within the range of the chart? Also is the flight path displayed on the chart and can you edit the path on the chart, as one can in Foreflight?

Back