ForeFlight version 8 has been released.

Runs nicely on my mini2.

I have ff pro...the aeronautical is greyed out and says I need pro plus?? Unless in doing something wrong.

Just loaded it. I like the new display a lot. More often than not I use FF on the iPhone 6 instead of the iPad, so the decluttered display will really help on the smaller screen.

For those of you who use ForeFlight instead of a modern EFIS in the cockpit, this is a positive, modern upgrade. If, like me, you use ForeFlight for flight planning (as it’s name implies - Fore Flight) and for supplemental information in flight, this upgrade is a worrying upgrade. ForeFlight has spent a year making it’s app look exactly like Garmin Pilot instead of making it more useful. A year ago I tested both GP and FF and chose FF because the charts were better and flight planning easier / more intuitive. My personal, very modest, wishes are layers indicating Restaurant on Field and Mogas as well as iPad-style interface on our large iPhones. I’m sure other pilots have different wants for an updated ForeFlight, but was your wish really a more expensive version of Garmin Pilot?

Last edited:
I primarily run FF on my IPAD. So I updated my Iphone to see the changes. Then I logged onto my Ipad to see how the differences compared, and it automatically updated my IPAD, which I did not want until I gained more confidence in it.

Is there any way to keep it from also updating my mini before I open it there?

I primarily run FF on my IPAD. So I updated my Iphone to see the changes. Then I logged onto my Ipad to see how the differences compared, and it automatically updated my IPAD, which I did not want until I gained more confidence in it.

Is there any way to keep it from also updating my mini before I open it there?

Settings -> Itunes & App Stores -> under Automatic Downloads turn OFF Updates. *Edit - If its already on, and you've been on Wifi, it may have already updated

Tempted to see if anyone wants to start a business to get Business Pro as a group... Haha.

Almost kidding, but almost not. Only need two pilots and a business name.

I don't need nor want logbook stuff, with Eric's stuff out there, and wouldn't cry losing synthetic vision, and don't need two iPads plus phone, one of each would be fine.

Doing comparisons on this page, there's a funny web QA bug...

https://foreflight.com/pricing

- Personal flight plans say "new features!" and adds a bullet for ICAO flight plans. Business doesn't show it. I doubt that's accurate.

Wouldn't care at all about the centralized tracking of who's downloaded what stuff, but $49 off to dump logbook and synthetic vision wouldn't bother me at all.

"Save $49 on Foreflight without Logbook, LLC" sounds like a good business name. Haha.

Clubs should consider doing a managed business account. Can send club docs to members, etc. Good deal for larger clubs with a bit of a small PITA in tracking who's paid up.

Maybe I'll see if my co-owner wants to save a few bucks and do it through the airplane LLC. LLC perk! Haha.

It'd be nice if Logbook was a la carte. This seems a good way to make it so, without there officially being such an option for individuals.

Logbook and Synthetic Vision go away in Business Pro, am I missing anything else important?

I am just a tad ****ed at Foreflight.

I did not see where they said that you have to be a Basic or ProPlus subscriber to get the new maps....I was really looking forward to seeing what they had been working on, since I watched the videos the release at Oshkosh.

I download the update and find out that I have to be a ProPlus subscriber to get the new maps. I have had a Pro Subscription for years, now they come out with this Pro Plus bullSH*T and I now have to upgrade and be forced to get LOG BOOK which I neither need nor want, just so I can see what the new map feature looks like.

I think I am going to go cool down, right now I am of a mind to just go get Garmin Pilot

For those of you who use ForeFlight instead of a modern EFIS in the cockpit, this is a positive, modern upgrade. If, like me, you use ForeFlight for flight planning (as it’s name implies - Fore Flight) and for supplemental information in flight, this upgrade is a worrying upgrade. ForeFlight has spent a year making it’s app look exactly like Garmin Pilot instead of making it more useful. A year ago I tested both GP and FF and chose FF because the charts were better and flight planning easier / more intuitive. My personal, very modest, wishes are layers indicating Restaurant on Field and Mogas. I’m sure other pilots have different wants for an updated ForeFlight, but was your wish really a more expensive version of Garmin Pilot?

You can still use the regular charts. They just added a feature.

Maybe not the feature you wanted but for me vector maps are a huge upgrade.

I did not see where they said that you have to be a Basic or ProPlus subscriber to get the new maps....I was really looking forward to seeing what they had been working on, since I watched the videos the release at Oshkosh.

I download the update and find out that I have to be a ProPlus subscriber to get the new maps. I have had a Pro Subscription for years, now they come out with this Pro Plus bullSH*T and I now have to upgrade and be forced to get LOG BOOK which I neither need nor want, just so I can see what the new map feature looks like.

I think I am going to go cool down, right now I am of a mind to just go get Garmin Pilot

They announced it months ago AFAIK. Making vector graphics out of FAA data isn't free, so I don't mind a price bump for that. But I'm totally unimpressed with the logbook stuff, even the "remote signing" and whatnot.

The very last thing I would ever want to do with a logbook is trap it in a proprietary system again. Did that with LogTen and got screwed. Plus, paper still seems to work great and it still appears that for the time being I'll be keeping both.

Which means electronic logging is mostly a double entry pain in the ass than actually useful for me, anyway. Wastes more than double the time of writing a line in a logbook.

I did not see where they said that you have to be a Basic or ProPlus subscriber to get the new maps....
If I'm reading this right, what kind of logic would have you get the feature with Basic, but not with Pro? I thought Pro was just Basic with added features.

You can still use the regular charts. They just added a feature.

Maybe not the feature you wanted but for me vector maps are a huge upgrade.
You're correct. For now. From the ForeFlight 8 intro video it's clear this is their new direction. I'm guessing just a matter of time before ForeFlight charges extra for charts. I'm sure they have to pay for the data and if their focus is on Garmin-style vector maps I don't see why they wouldn't.

If I'm reading this right, what kind of logic would have you get the feature with Basic, but not with Pro? I thought Pro was just Basic with added features.
That was my thought as well.

Someone that pays $99/yr gets it, but me at $174/yr does not.

I am looking at the Garmin Pilot App as I type this and considering switching. I have the GTN650 with the Flightstream 210, so my Stratus 2 is not worth anything to me anymore anyway.

Pro was $145, not $174....?

Chuckled looking back at the charges over the years, though... They didn't charge tax in 2011, now they do apparently, 'cause the number isn't nice and round anymore. :)

Telling ya, Business Pro with a friend, is the sweet spot... Same pricing as before, no logbook, and no synthetic vision, and the new maps. $5 more a year.

That was my thought as well.

I am looking at the Garmin Pilot App as I type this and considering switching. I have the GTN650 with the Flightstream 210, so my Stratus 2 is not worth anything to me anymore anyway.
From their web site:
https://foreflight.com/products/foreflight-mobile/maps/?_ga=1.147782577.769099817.1472585338
ForeFlight Aeronautical Maps are offered in our Basic Plus, Pro Plus, and Business Pro plans.

They announced it months ago AFAIK. Making vector graphics out of FAA data isn't free, so I don't mind a price bump for that. But I'm totally unimpressed with the logbook stuff, even the "remote signing" and whatnot.

The very last thing I would ever want to do with a logbook is trap it in a proprietary system again. Did that with LogTen and got screwed. Plus, paper still seems to work great and it still appears that for the time being I'll be keeping both.

Which means electronic logging is mostly a double entry pain in the ass than actually useful for me, anyway. Wastes more than double the time of writing a line in a logbook.

I agree, it is not free to do these upgrades.

And if they came and said that, at renewal, your Pro subscription is going up $10 a year or whatever to get the new Maps feature, I would be fine with that. What I do not like it that I am forced to Pay for LogBook when I do not want it, do not need it, just because they want to tie people tighter to their product. I am with you, there is no way I would have my log books tied to a proprietary program. Not going to happen....Ever.

The people who have ProPlus got the map upgrade for Free, they did not raise the price for them.

So what is to stop them at the next "Feature" from making a SUPER PRO PLUS Subscription? Then every feature after that point is only available for them.

Now I am forced to renew for another year, at a higher rate, with features that I do not want or need, just to see if I like the new Maps. If I don't like them...well tough titty said the kitty.

Flav.

Hi Deverpilot,

My renewal subscription on Dec15 was $174.99 for the year with SV.

I wanted SV and it was available as an add-on, an add-on that I wanted so I was willing to pay for it.

Flav

So what is to stop them at the next "Feature" from making a SUPER PRO PLUS Subscription? Then every feature after that point is only available for them.
Competition.

I have already emailed them to ask about this. And I not-so-subtly mentioned that I may be thinking about GP or Wing-X if this stays true.

I also mentioned that I have had the Pro version since the beginning solely for the geo-referenced taxi diagrams, since I am a VFR pilot.

I'm hoping Tyson aka @CodeMonkey from ForeFlight will stop by and add to the conversation.

And if they came and said that, at renewal, your Pro subscription is going up $10 a year or whatever to get the new Maps feature, I would be fine with that. What I do not like it that I am forced to Pay for LogBook when I do not want it, do not need it, just because they want to tie people tighter to their product. I am with you, there is no way I would have my log books tied to a proprietary program. Not going to happen....Ever.

The people who have ProPlus got the map upgrade for Free, they did not raise the price for them.

Now I am forced to renew for another year, at a higher rate, with features that I do not want or need, just to see if I like the new Maps. If I don't like them...well tough titty said the kitty.

Flav.

Or, if you are happy with what you have, just keep it as is. And if you want to see what the maps look like, play the video on their blog.

Very confused at the new levels. I renewed my subscription in April and have the ForeFlight Pro subscription. So I DON'T get the new stuff? I have to upgrade further?

Very confused at the new levels. I renewed my subscription in April and have the ForeFlight Pro subscription. So I DON'T get the new stuff? I have to upgrade further?

Correcto mundo my good man.

You need to get the Pro Plus subscription to keep your current features and get the new one.....plus some you might not even care about.

Correcto mundo my good man.

You need to get the Pro Plus subscription to keep your current features and get the new one.....plus some you might not even care about.

I'm still getting georeferenced plates and the profile view, which according to the Foreflight website I shouldn't be without upgrading. Thus my confusion. Having logged on to the website though, I am able to get a pro-rated subscription if I want to upgrade. Also, looks like I can renew my current subscription at the same price (if it was time)...we'll see how long that lasts.

Or, if you are happy with what you have, just keep it as is. And if you want to see what the maps look like, play the video on their blog.

While I agree, I can just keep what I have and at this point will for the next 5 months.

The problem with watching the video is that I cannot really get a feel, on my Ipad, rather it is something I can or would use in real life. It looks good on the video, but it could actually be crap.

I won't know unless I pony up for another 12 months.....

I'm still getting georeferenced plates and the profile view, which according to the Foreflight website I shouldn't be without upgrading. Thus my confusion.

The straight Pro subscription has geo-referenced taxi and approach plates.

For an extra $25/yr you could have gotten the Synth vision.

Now to get the new maps, you need to get the PROPLUS subscription.

Deceiving reading their website then. They really need to make that more clear. Like I said above, I logged on and could see that I could do other things, but it doesn't really read that way.

FF has been playing games with pricing and features for a while now. If you want the new (useful) features, you have to upgrade your subscription. Yes, adding features isn't free, but no one gets FF for free--it is entirely subscription-based. It sure seems like they're heading in the direction of FF Basic becoming essentially a paid "lite" version of the real thing.

GP has had vector maps for quite some time, and the last time I checked, they were available in the base subscription which was competively priced with FF Basic.

If FF needs to raise their prices, I would much prefer that they do it in a transparent manner rather than conceal the increases in new subscription tiers. In my opinion, there should be three tiers at most (perhaps Basic, Pro, and SV) and the basic tier should include features like vector maps and W&B that every pilot would likely use.

JKG

FF has been playing games with pricing and features for a while now. If you want the new (useful) features, you have to upgrade your subscription. Yes, adding features isn't free, but no one gets FF for free--it is entirely subscription-based. It sure seems like they're heading in the direction of FF Basic becoming essentially a paid "lite" version of the real thing.

GP has had vector maps for quite some time, and the last time I checked, they were available in the base subscription which was competively priced with FF Basic.

If FF needs to raise their prices, I would much prefer that they do it in a transparent manner rather than conceal the increases in new subscription tiers. In my opinion, there should be three tiers at most (perhaps Basic, Pro, and SV) and the basic tier should include features like vector maps and W&B that every pilot would likely use.

JKG
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding.....Ding

We have a winner.

Yep, I agree completely.

Transparent easy to understand pricing would be nice.

We put the new pricing plans together last year to do two things: *not* raise prices for customers that were fine with what they had, but also provide a way forward for new features that are built at an additional expense. Here's the current plan comparison:

https://www.foreflight.com/pricing

The new Basic Plus plan ($99.99) has a ton of features now, including the new maps and digital airport maps. It may be sufficient for many customers that don't want every bell and whistle.

They really need to do something about these names. Pro Plus etc. I think it would be easier to just call the different options, Level 1, 2, 3.

First test of the new maps on a quick local flight today. Love it, especially on the iPhone, and especially in "track-up" mode. Sample screenshots (much better resolution in the original):

VFR sectional chart only (the way it was before):

VFR_zpsvocvce4e.jpg

New "Aeronautical" chart only:

Aero_zps68rpzgx0.jpg

"Aeronautical" chart plus VFR sectional:

AeroVFR_zpsxnerglzk.jpg

So....if I have a Pro Plus subscription and want to keep my raster format charts, I can? I don't have to use the vector charts?

I missed it on their website.

I just watched their videos about the upcoming upgrade and I don't remember it being mentioned in them.

Does not really matter, by subscription is up in December and will relook at all this then.
Even when I went to the web site to look this up, it didn't jump out at me at first that plain-old "Pro" was not listed.
We put the new pricing plans together last year to do two things: *not* raise prices for customers that were fine with what they had, but also provide a way forward for new features that are built at an additional expense. Here's the current plan comparison:

https://www.foreflight.com/pricing

The new Basic Plus plan ($99.99) has a ton of features now, including the new maps and digital airport maps. It may be sufficient for many customers that don't want every bell and whistle.
Does basic have geo-referenced taxi diagrams yet? That is the only reason I pay for Pro.

So....if I have a Pro Plus subscription and want to keep my raster format charts, I can? I don't have to use the vector charts?
If you want to keep your Pro-Plus, you can keep your Pro-Plus.

Where have we hears something similar before?

Correct. Same with a "Basic Plus" subscription. Or you can combine raster and vector in the same display, as in the third example above, or like this with the IFR chart:

AeroIFR_zpsz8gp1ha6.jpg

Back