ForeFlight update

I dunno. Let me guess at a quick number of records here... There's what, um... Guessing here... Let's use round numbers... 300 charts including Canada, VFR, IFR, etc. Call it 500... (I'd go count but I'm being lazy.)

The next is an even bigger guess but I'll go high... 100,000 ChartCase users? (Probably way high.)

Tagging each chart with a, say... Ten character unique hash (also a guess as to how many uniques you'd need before you could re-use one... 'cause I don't want to do the math while I'm eating lunch), that's 5000 characters to transmit from the mobile device to know what charts it has installed at first, and need only transmit changes after that if the DB says it has the list.

Add some overhead since it'd probably be wise these days to stuff that into XML to make the coder's lives easier. Go crazy, call it 6000 characters to send.

As for the DB, a 100,000 by 500 record table is tiny. There'd obviously be some overhead there too, but they already have a DB of subscribers, so this is an addition of a table with 500 booleans to the existing DB. Could just stash the incoming string and post-process it later, into the booleans, too.

So 500 booleans in a referenced table against "customerID"... From a DBA perspective, that's tiny.

The challenge is the code to send the update, something to parse it on the receiving end, on the inbound side. That's cake. Much of the code stricture is already there. If you launch the App it sets a badge and knows what needs to be updated.

Just need to move that code from iOS to a central server.

All depends on how they implemented that piece as to how portable it is from iOS to say, C or Perl, or ... shudder... Python. :)

The heavy-hitter code would be the SQL query to compare each user against a master "current release" table, and build the badge notifications and send them. I think a modern RDBMS could easily handle the queries for that in a reasonable amount of time, the CPU burnt by the program/script could be throttled since it doesn't need to be done in near-real-time. A few hours after chart release is great. Up to a day is tolerable. And the fallback is the already existing code on the iOS side if the notification system barfs.

I don't think it's as insurmountable as it might seem on the surface. But I do understand if it's not a priority. I definitely don't think it's a "huge" database. They're storing almost as much data against my userID just to have my address info, contact info, etc. And booleans are wicked fast in any good RDBMS. Way faster than retrieving a VARCHAR with my e-mail address.

Just thoughts. I'm not complaining. It isn't *that* hard. Not quite "low-hanging fruit" either, though.

It's not really that it's that big of a database - as much as it's a project that requires man hours and it's obviously not that big of a concern for them.

What your missing is the knowledge of iOS and what you can and can't accomplish (which equates to not much without the user executing the app).

It'd be difficult to build it in a way that would be accurate. For example, if iOS suddenly decides to delete charts in the application (which it can do), the application then has no idea it happened and neither does the Foreflight central server. Therefore it can't push a badge to the device to tell it that it needs to download charts.

Basically I can think up about 10 ways this could get out of sync. That's only with about 30 seconds of thought into developing this feature. There are probably some other major PITA issues I haven't thought of.

Instead of them trying to track all this with an incremental badge that informs you when you have available downloads -- I'd prefer they just push a notification to *ALL* devices everytime a new chart comes out that pops up and tells you that it happened (which they could do).

Honestly it's never really an issue for me....

Last edited:
Basically I can think up about 10 ways this could get out of sync. That's only with about 30 seconds of thought into developing this feature. There are probably some other major PITA issues I haven't thought of.

Yeah, I thought of about a million bad things about my "design" from the Yukon sitting in front of Wendy's munching on lunch, when I was on my way home. LOL!

The assumption that the file system will, uh... leave your files alone... now with that goofy-assed change Apple made in iOS 5, certainly throws a big monkey wrench in the works.

Oh well. It was fun to play with the concept in my head instead of thinking about work, or a myriad of other things, while I was grabbing lunch.

Instead of them trying to track all this with an incremental badge that informs you when you have available downloads -- I'd prefer they just push a notification to *ALL* devices everytime a new chart comes out that pops up and tells you that it happened (which they could do).

Now that's not a bad idea... of course, it triggers what's essentially a massive DDoS when everyone opens ForeFlight and all start downloading at once... heh heh...

Yeah, I thought of about a million bad things about my "design" from the Yukon sitting in front of Wendy's munching on lunch, when I was on my way home. LOL!

The assumption that the file system will, uh... leave your files alone... now with that goofy-assed change Apple made in iOS 5, certainly throws a big monkey wrench in the works.

Oh well. It was fun to play with the concept in my head instead of thinking about work, or a myriad of other things, while I was grabbing lunch.

Now that's not a bad idea... of course, it triggers what's essentially a massive DDoS when everyone opens ForeFlight and all start downloading at once... heh heh...

They already have that problem when the new cycle shows up...trust me...

Hrm, now do I cancel the XM for my GDL 69 and move it over to something to stream to the iPad?
How much will the transfer cost? Is it worth it to do it now or wait for other alternatives to come along and lower the price.

For now, I'm keeping my 396 and its XM. And with more aircraft I'm coming across having XM already, I might never make the change unless it's very cost-effective.

honestly I'm keeping an eye on mobile sat internet. If I can wifi the plane screw XM...

I notice the charts are expired, a note on the map itself and when I click Downloads, they are all listed as expired.
No option to update, no small number indicator.
I go to the app store, "all apps up to date".

How to push the downloads??

Attachments

• expiredcharts.PNG
    expiredcharts.PNG
    109.7 KB · Views: 20
  • appsUTD.PNG
    appsUTD.PNG
    38.2 KB · Views: 13
The App Store knows NOTHING about the maps. It only knows about enhancements to the Foreflight application itself. AFAIK, You have to manually go after new chart updates. They do not download automatically.

Ah, I see what you mean. Usually, there's another line item for that State with a checkbox for the next/current data cycle. I'm not sure why yours doesn't have that.
Try the typical power off/on fix. Try deleting the state, then adding again. You might then have the option to download the data again. A message to Foreflight might be in order.

A few cycles ago, I spent 28 days with my charts & plates displaying messages that they were expired, even though the download screen showed they were up-to-date and verifying the info on the charts/plates also showed this. When the next cycle came out they downloaded fine and the "Out-of-date" flags were gone.

Wierd.

Ah, I see what you mean. Usually, there's another line item for that State with a checkbox for the next/current data cycle. I'm not sure why yours doesn't have that.
Try the typical power off/on fix. Try deleting the state, then adding again. You might then have the option to download the data again. A message to Foreflight might be in order.

A few cycles ago, I spent 28 days with my charts & plates displaying messages that they were expired, even though the download screen showed they were up-to-date and verifying the info on the charts/plates also showed this. When the next cycle came out they downloaded fine and the "Out-of-date" flags were gone.

Wierd.

I have been using FF for a year, and until last month my "Download" button would show that there were updates waiting for me to click download. Last month, no joy--all my charts were expired. Now I can't remember what I did to updated them, but I wish that I could remember, as again this month, my charts all expired on Dec 15 and there is no automatic prompting to update.

Wells

I have been using FF for a year, and until last month my "Download" button would show that there were updates waiting for me to click download. Last month, no joy--all my charts were expired. Now I can't remember what I did to updated them, but I wish that I could remember, as again this month, my charts all expired on Dec 15 and there is no automatic prompting to update.

Wells
Um... Isn't FF a 1 year license? Is it possible that it's expired? Of course, if that is the case, it should give you a better message and an opportunity to renew!

Um... Isn't FF a 1 year license? Is it possible that it's expired? Of course, if that is the case, it should give you a better message and an opportunity to renew!

My subscription has not expired yet. BUT. .and I must appologize to FF for this: my WiFi had only been turned back on an hour or so (I turn it off when flying to preserve battery life). Yesterday, after reading Dave's words, I turned on FF, saw that my charts had expired Dec 15, and realized that my WiFi was off. I turned it on, and even some 20 min later it still had not found that it needed to update the charts (maybe that feature is an hourly thing?). But when I looked at it 30 min later-- Voila!.. it was telling me I had updates to authorize.

What a great product. Thanks again, Foreflight.

Wells

Do these guys ever sleep?

Last night around 9:00pm I sent an email to FF on what I thought was a problem:

To whom it may concern:
>
>First, thanks for a great product.
>
>Second, I'd like to mention that KRYV, Watertown WI Municipal, has right
traffic on BOTH runways 5 and 11. This is per the AFD, but your RUNWAYS page
only shows one of them.
>
>Thanks

I received a response at 11:03pm:

On the KRYV Airport Page that I am looking at, I see RP for both 05 and 11.

Can you verify you have the latest airport database? You can see this on the
Downloads page.

If possible, you can take a screen shot of the 11 - 29 runway info. Just press
the top button on the iPhone/iPad and the home screen button on the iPhone/iPad
at the exact time, and you should see a flash on the screen. That will take a
screenshot which is stored in your Photos. You can use that app to send an
email with the picture.

More details on that are here: http://tinyurl.com/yayakfe

Also, be sure to upgrade your version of ForeFlight. Here are instructions for
updating your app to the latest version:
http://www.foreflight.com/support/iPhoneUpdate.php

Take a look at that and let us know if you have any questions -- we're happy to
help!

Robert Heise, CFI
ForeFlight Pilot Support
ForeFlight LLC

Sure enough, I didn't have the most recent version. Now, I need to update my OS first, which I'm having problems with, but I'm amazed at their response time.

Well done, FF!

Back