Foreflight TPA

F

Flying Guy

I was recently flying into an airport in mountainous terrain that was new-ish to me. I'm getting back into flying after being out of it for a few years, and this was my first time back at this airport in quite some time. I did all my flight planning in Foreflight.

As we approached the airport, I entered the downwind on a 45 and everything just looked off, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I was also distracted by the terrain that was not close enough to be worried about, but was certainly close enough to get my attention and distract me. Abeam the numbers I started my normal pattern decent for landing. It looked like I was high so I extended my downwind a bit. I turned base, and I could tell I was WAY too high. I dropped the rest of the flaps, and slipped the plane as much as the rudder would allow me. It ended up working out just fine and I touched down on the 1,000' markers.

After landing I pulled out my iPad and realized what the problem was. In Foreflight, when you look at TPA, the default numbers shown are the turbine TPA numbers. I was flying the wrong TPA. That's why I was so high. In then end, it worked out, and everyone was safe, but just be aware that you need to make sure you're looking at the right TPA when you are looking at the airport data.

Does anyone know if that is a setting you can change?

During my PPL training, I had an instructor that warned us about TPA in Foreflight. He selected a local airport, which the foreflight dialog box showed TPA as airport elevation +1000ft. Pull up the chart supplement and the remarks state TPA for light aircraft is 800ft, with larger aircraft at 1300 feet. I have found other airports in my area this happens as well, sometimes as little as 5 feet but still not accurate. The takeaway was that we should only ever determine TPA (and any other critical flight information) from a current chart supplement. This was in early 2020, maybe they have already improved this, but I still reference the chart sup and write tpa down before flying.

I'm not aware of a setting you are looking for though, just thought I'd share my experience with Foreflight TPA data. I bet if you sent the question to foreflight support with a screenshot they would get back to you pretty quick. I have found their support very helpful.

If you hadn’t noticed, there has been a rapid phase out of published TPAs because the FAA considers 1000 agl for pistons and 1500 agl for turbines as the standard TPA.

As with most things aviation, there are a few exceptions.

Last edited:
Isn’t TPA non regulatory

Just fly what you feel comfortable, within reason

I’m normally just 500+ elevation

Cause a problem because there are 6 in the pattern following the guidance and you just might find out how "non-regulatory" it is.

The AIM is Not Regulatory.

So follow them visually

I’ve never had a tower or anyone at a uncontrolled mention my pattern, but since flight school, outside of a check ride I’m just direct to the ramp own risk.

That link also doesn’t come close to mentioning TPA, most all recommendation is 1500 for turbine but the crop dusters fly at helicopter 500agl, we see each other, alls well, life goes on.

Do most look for traffic out their windows, or on their iPad?

Last edited:

I'll bite -

Mostly out the window glancing at le iPad for situational awareness.... for people doing odd things in the pattern like flying at odd altitudes... that are hard to spot.... because they are much lower than standard pattern altitude for their type of aircraft....

I'll bite -

Mostly out the window glancing at le iPad for situational awareness.... for people doing odd things in the pattern like flying at odd altitudes... that are hard to spot.... because they are much lower than standard pattern altitude for their type of aircraft....

Entering and in the pattern, out the window.

When approaching the airport environment, 5-10 miles away, ADS-B to get a feel for current activity.

As mentioned above. PA is 1000 above airport elevation for simple GA operations. Verify airport elevation before you fly and plan accordingly.

As mentioned above. PA is 1000 above airport elevation for simple GA operations. Verify airport elevation before you fly and plan accordingly.

That is the standard pattern, many airports have nonstandard TPAs published.

I was recently flying into an airport in mountainous terrain that was new-ish to me. I'm getting back into flying after being out of it for a few years, and this was my first time back at this airport in quite some time. I did all my flight planning in Foreflight.

As we approached the airport, I entered the downwind on a 45 and everything just looked off, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I was also distracted by the terrain that was not close enough to be worried about, but was certainly close enough to get my attention and distract me. Abeam the numbers I started my normal pattern decent for landing. It looked like I was high so I extended my downwind a bit. I turned base, and I could tell I was WAY too high. I dropped the rest of the flaps, and slipped the plane as much as the rudder would allow me. It ended up working out just fine and I touched down on the 1,000' markers.

After landing I pulled out my iPad and realized what the problem was. In Foreflight, when you look at TPA, the default numbers shown are the turbine TPA numbers. I was flying the wrong TPA. That's why I was so high. In then end, it worked out, and everyone was safe, but just be aware that you need to make sure you're looking at the right TPA when you are looking at the airport data.

Does anyone know if that is a setting you can change?
Don’t know where in Foreflight you are seeing this TPA thing. But I’d like to know. Anyway, it is very easy to find any published TPA’s for a particular airport. Info tab, look down to Chart Supplement and click on AF/D. It will take you directly to the AF/D entry for that airport.
upload_2022-1-6_7-55-58.png

Don’t know where in Foreflight you are seeing this TPA thing. But I’d like to know. Anyway, it is very easy to find any published TPA’s for a particular airport. Info tab, look down to Chart Supplement and click on AF/D. It will take you directly to the AF/D entry for that airport.
View attachment 103441
Tpa is on the screenshot you just posted

Tpa is on the screenshot you just posted
By gum by golly there it is. With a drop down that shows all the runways and the day night stuff. And it is consistent with the AF/D. So I guess the default numbers the OP was talking about are for Airports that don't have published TPA altitudes.

I just use my best falsetto voice....''Outta the way, boys, I'm going to land now...''

I actually knew someone that did something something similar, including just landing without radio calls. I know the radio isn't required at non-tower airports, but with other planes in the pattern this person would jut bust in and land. She took herself out of the gene pool in the Arctic Ocean.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back