Foreflight radar / what is this symbol?

mandm

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
IMG_3862.jpeg

This is a screenshot of weather radar from foreflight. What does the grey circle / arrow and 350 mean?

It is a storm cell with echo tops to FL350. The arrow is the direction of the cell movement and where it is expected to track in 15 minutes. This is from the ForeFlight Pilot Guide:

Storm cells legend.jpg

as someone said above- tops.. and the direction of movement. You do not want to be nearby where the arrow is pointing to. . .

When those start showing up, best to keep well clear of them.

Isnt foreflight amazing? My CFI is always complaining about how much easier it is to fly these days compared to when he was learning it all.

Where is foreflight getting the echo tops info?

I can't find it on any of the dot gov sites anymore.

Where is foreflight getting the echo tops info?

I can't find it on any of the dot gov sites anymore.
I wonder if they line it up and calculate it with Satellite and wind/temps aloft data? That’s how one would do it manually.

WSI Weather brief has had that for 5 years or so.
cb9a5852f6dc2b1dcb3b0eb85ea2e97e.jpg

If they did it radiometrically, would it be an echo top? ;)

nexrad, same as it ever was.

https://radar.weather.gov/, pick a radar, select echo tops as the product.

I don't see it like it used to be on the RCM.
Nothing that indicates like it does in the OP, and I'm fairly certain that the little green blobs aren't pushing (10km) FL330 as indicated on the local and FL600 on the national for the same location this morning.

RCM (radar coded message) effectively has been discontinued. See this SCN. That's good since they often produced some very bad information as I discuss here. I'll be giving a webinar Thursday, November 16th at 7:00 PM EST on datalink weather that discusses echo tops products. Anyone is free to join. I don't have a link to register as of yet. I'll be making an announcement of that in my blog for anyone who may be interested.
Thanks, Scott.

That symbol tells me to get on the ground.

I’ve flown through green rain but I’m not sure that I want to try flying through yellow rain. It does cool down the airplane though.

Anyone flown through yellow or red rain in a GA piston single?

Flew near yellow, it was occasionally difficult to see out the front.

What you really need to avoid is the yellow snow.

I’ve flown through smooth yellow and through bumpy green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a no fly zone!

Back