Foreflight question…

TomRV4

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Straight forward direct flight airport to airport. Why is there a difference in fuel consumption between the “HDG TOTALS” of 3.6 g, and the “LEG” total of 2.1 g ? Same distance, same time.

Thanks

Attachments

• 55234A65-A680-4456-A2DA-3CF58AAAD137.png
    55234A65-A680-4456-A2DA-3CF58AAAD137.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
Thanks! Makes sense…for the most part…

But I wonder why Foreflight doesn’t just take that into account flying a point to point departure and arrival (or the first leg of a multi waypoint flight), and keep both numbers the same on that initial leg to keep ME from being confused :)

But I wonder why Foreflight doesn’t just take that into account flying a point to point departure and arrival (or the first leg of a multi waypoint flight), and keep both numbers the same on that initial leg to keep ME from being confused :)
Then it would confuse ME when I see too much fuel usage for the first leg.

Perhaps because they are just following the way we are supposed to flight plan old school. No, I actually didn't do it that way, but if you look at flight training materials and in many cases the performance section of our POH, the technically correct way to calculate fuel use is to separate taxi to takeoff from the rest of the flight. Here's a page from the performance section if a 172 POH.
upload_2021-12-28_18-54-40.png

Flight plan burn will include taxi and takeoff. Leg will be cruise only.

giphy.gif

Then it would confuse ME when I see too much fuel usage for the first leg.

You think that is confusing? Accidently add a zero to your taxi/takeoff fuel number when setting up a new aircraft profile. I could not figure out why a 172 would need 150 gallons for an hour flight?!

Back