ForeFlight ProPlus

Ronnie Godfrey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ronnie Godfrey
Do any of you use pro plus since you began flying IFR? It seems like it’s got some useful features for IFR but I’m not sure it’s worth an extra $100. Thoughts?

Georeferenced approach plates are very nice. Technically one shouldn’t need them, but having them adds situational awareness you don’t find in many panels.

I don't think Pro Plus is worth another $100 either, so I use Pro instead. Georeferenced plates are great and W&B is nice too.

Aero maps and SV are neat but I don't use them. Checklist seems like feature creep to me. I'm certainly not paying extra so ForeFlight can monetize my logbook.

I don't think Pro Plus is worth another $100 either, so I use Pro instead. Georeferenced plates are great and W&B is nice too.
Pro vs Pro Plus is a $50 difference.

I did Pro Plus for the SV as an ultimate IFR backup (I liked having an HSI Page in my Garmin GPSMap handheld too) and I decided I liked the enhancement the Aero charts gave me. I can do without the checklists and logbook, but the add on cost for the two I did want already brought me to Plus pricing.

If we are talking features, a definite yes for the upgrade to Pro rather than Basic version (with or without the Plus). Georeferenced taxi diagrams are a significant enhancement for anyone. Georeferenced approach charts are, as @denverpilot said, great for situational awareness, and, while some will say "ho hum" others find Plates on Maps to be a bit of an SA game changer.

Georeferenced approach plates are very nice. Technically one shouldn’t need them, but having them adds situational awareness you don’t find in many panels.
Georeferencing, approach plate overlay and terrain hazard advisor were the main reasons i purchased it.

Last edited:
I use FF pro US/Canada with SV, but I don't have the plus, I'm happy with it.

Minus the logs, if you don't keep everything exactly up to date they don't work as advertised.

I actually really like the checklist and logbook features. The logbook automatically tracks my flights and I just verify the info it puts in. I like the checklist because I can add in things on the spot, like I did the time I left my wallet in the airplane and left the airport lol! My “Securing” list now say “phone, wallet, and keys—check.” I’ve had one or two situations in my short piloting career where the geo-referenced taxi diagram would’ve been helpful, and I’m sure the approach plates are a game changer. Looks like I’m going Pro!

I’m very happy with the FF pro,however I’m considering pro plus,don’t need the log book function or W+ B function.

To answer the OP's question, I do find the ProPlus plan worth it.

There are a few features it offers that I don't use. But for the ones that I do avail myself of, the added cost is a good bargain to have these in a single app versus multiple apps.

Plus if my extra Benjamin per year helps with the ever improvement of the app, that's worth it too.

It’s a great app and the primary reason I flipped from Android to Apple land. I went with Plus primarily for the geo referenced plates and plates on map.

I have the option of overlaying plates on my EFIS screen but the Forelight on iPad implementation is superior. Why? My experimental GRT EFIS(s) are vintage 2010. They have all the bells and whistles including synthetic vision but the processors now seem slow and screen resolution a bit coarse. I’m on my 2nd iPad upgrade and still save $$$ over an EFIS upgrade.

I like the Aero map, the first truly digital air chart. I like the cloud docs which makes my paperless cockpit tidier. I use the logbook but only for IFR currency tracking, my EFISZ produces a Excel spreadsheet with all flights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does Pro still have georeferenced approach plates? I never upgraded to Pro Plus and I have them, but I also read that the feature level I have is no longer available to new purchasers, so I'm not sure.

Edit: or maybe it is, since they've added "build your own plan". Maybe not at the same price point though? :dunno:

Does Pro still have georeferenced approach plates? I never upgraded to Pro Plus and I have them, but I also read that the feature level I have is no longer available to new purchasers, so I'm not sure.

Edit: or maybe it is, since they've added "build your own plan". Maybe not at the same price point though? :dunno:
Yes, Pro is still available and still has georeferenced plates.

A feature that has recently started working real well is notification of expected route and “do you want the expected route loaded into maps?” It works well when filing flights along the DC-NYC or south FL corridors where one gets wordy routes. I say recently because it seemed for awhile those routes didn’t necessarily match what I was cleared for but now it usually does match. Not sure if that is a Pro or Pro Plus feature but it’s a time saver.

Georeferencing, approach plate overlay and terrain hazard advisor where the main reasons i purchased it.

Those are available on Avare for free. Love the georeferenced plates! But I won't swear that it has terrain hazard advisor--my G430W has that much more accurately anyway (haven't seen any WAAS tablets yet . . . ).

A feature that has recently started working real well is notification of expected route and “do you want the expected route loaded into maps?” It works well when filing flights along the DC-NYC or south FL corridors where one gets wordy routes. I say recently because it seemed for awhile those routes didn’t necessarily match what I was cleared for but now it usually does match. Not sure if that is a Pro or Pro Plus feature but it’s a time saver.
I think what you speak of is a core feature if you file via FF.

I too am a fan of it, and have found that the expected route FF obtains from the FAA routing computer is nearly always the same as what's read off by Clearance Delivery.

It's in Pro.

"Plus" compared with "Pro" comes down to Aeronautical Maps, Synthetic Vision, Checklist, and the Logbook. The logbook or any two of the others covers the $50 price difference.

Not a big fan of the aeromaps, just moms someone taking a highlighter to stuff that was already there.

I think what you speak of is a core feature if you file via FF.

I too am a fan of it, and have found that the expected route FF obtains from the FAA routing computer is nearly always the same as what's read off by Clearance Delivery.
yes that is true at least for me so far.. every FP file through FF was exactly what CD read back as well. even the few amended on while in CLT all while taxxiing..

in addition ive heard pilots say FF is suppose to include the proposed squawk code.. i have yet seen that...

The expected squawk code is in the routing update emails.

Do any of you use pro plus since you began flying IFR? It seems like it’s got some useful features for IFR but I’m not sure it’s worth an extra $100. Thoughts?

I just looked at the program on the Foreflight site. I like Foreflight, but I get all of those features with Garmin Pilot for $150.00

Question i have....

Are the Jeppesen charts worth the additional $100 on FF? I dont fly out the US..

Why would i use jepp vs naco?

Thoughts?

Question i have....

Are the Jeppesen charts worth the additional $100 on FF? I dont fly out the US..

Thoughts?
These days, mostly bragging rights.

There's no difference in the regulatory information they contain, but once upon a time, Jepp charts had a definite advantage in usability, readability, and even paper quality, so many pilots preferred them for good reason. I preferred them too (and I lived about 3 miles from the company).

Then along came the Volpe briefing strip to highlight the most important numbers and most of the major differences went away.

There are still a few differences, but it's more about just liking things or the Jepp name than anything really substantive.

Question i have....

Thoughts?

Depends, do you prefer jepp? I'd say if you're asking the question that answer is no.

Personally I prefer gov plates.

Depends, do you prefer jepp? I'd say if you're asking the question that answer is no.

Personally I prefer gov plates.
well to be honest i cant prefer something i have never tried... i am quite satisfied with the naco/gov’ment charts. they work well for me.

well to be honest i cant prefer something i have never tried... i am quite satisfied with the naco/gov’ment charts. they work well for me.

As was mentioned by others, it's really all the same information so it just comes down to what you're used to looking at.

In your case I doubt you'd get $100 worth of value from the jepps

my conclusion as well, was trying to get a few other opinions. the other features offered by moving up are more for jet pilots. last i checked i am not getting into the flight levels in the planes i rent...

Frank, I did my IR on naco charts and I’m perfectly good with them. I never saw the need to $pend the extra for Jep.

I got a $100 iTunes card as a gift so I splurged on the Jepp charts. I prefer their approach plates and airport details over the government version. The way the info is provided is a better fit to how I want to take it on board.

But as stated above, for a non-corporate pilot, the choice of which flavor is personal. I would suggest sitting down with someone who has Jepp, looking at both, and use that experience to determine if the extra cost is worth it to you.

my conclusion as well, was trying to get a few other opinions. the other features offered by moving up are more for jet pilots. last i checked i am not getting into the flight levels in the planes i rent...
Yep. Once you get past "Pro Plus" it's all directed to the turbine market.

Yep. Once you get past "Pro Plus" it's all directed to the turbine market.

Actually that is noteworthy in another way... most of the tablet charting big names aren’t really making their nut off of GA anymore and couldn’t pay the bills (or would have layoffs) if they didn’t have fleet contracts.

We aren’t as important to any of their business models as we were in the early days. It’s quite realistic to think many of our complaints tuned into trouble or development tickets inside these companies are “Tier 2” or lower behind any complaints sent in by the big fleet folks.

Just a normal side effect of growth and industry uptake of any technology. The early adopters aren’t the real customer base needed to keep the lights on at these companies anymore.

Actually that is noteworthy in another way... most of the tablet charting big names aren’t really making their nut off of GA anymore and couldn’t pay the bills (or would have layoffs) if they didn’t have fleet contracts.

We aren’t as important to any of their business models as we were in the early days. It’s quite realistic to think many of our complaints tuned into trouble or development tickets inside these companies are “Tier 2” or lower behind any complaints sent in by the big fleet folks.

Just a normal side effect of growth and industry uptake of any technology. The early adopters aren’t the real customer base needed to keep the lights on at these companies anymore.
OTOH, ForeFlight is one of the few aiming for this market and I suspect part of it is the availability of Jepp charts. FliteDeck has not really taken hold, except perhaps in the airline world. Who knows, maybe Jepp leaving it to them. It's also the need to meet that market which costs them the most in both R&D and HR expenditures - most of the new features have been for them. Most everything else in the past year on the GA side have been tweaks.

OTOH, ForeFlight is one of the few aiming for this market and I suspect part of it is the availability of Jepp charts. FliteDeck has not really taken hold, except perhaps in the airline world. Who knows, maybe Jepp leaving it to them. It's also the need to meet that market which costs them the most in both R&D and HR expenditures - most of the new features have been for them. Most everything else in the past year on the GA side have been tweaks.

Rumor was that WingX got a large DoD contract last year also.

I think Avare and a couple of other bit players are the only companies without large fleet contracts paying the majority of their bills now.

Back