Foreflight - predictive search for fix?

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by Salty, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Salty

Salty Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    So, I got a direct to last night and I misunderstood the fix name. I had the first three letters right, but foreflight doesn’t seem to have predictive search, it can’t even find the fix with all but the last letter.

Is there a way to search that I’m not aware of, or is asking atc to spell it the only alternative here?

067B81A0-52A7-4FCB-BBA8-71C869930B40.jpeg B3DB54EA-8B63-4B35-BAF0-C12ABB0E48EF.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Let'sgoflying! likes this.
  2. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Hmm. That's funny. I get it with the first 4 characters on the planing website but not on the phone.

One would think ForeFlight would use location services to start with the closest ones.

But when it comes down to it, there are enough similar spelling fixes around, I usually ask for the spelling if I don't know it can't actually see it on the map.

3. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Meh... On a reroute, they're often giving you fixes halfway across the country.

It'd be nice if there was a way to do the search the way you can on Google where it tries to figure out what you meant, but these fix names are sometimes pronounced completely differently than you'd expect, and "local" vs faraway controllers pronounce them differently.

I've even heard that there's a guy in Chicago Center who pronounces one particular fix/arrival the "gahppick" because he's such a big Bears fan that he refuses to say "GOPAC" (Go Pack!) :rofl:

4. NealRomeoGolf

NealRomeoGolf Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    NRG
    Obviously a top notch controller.