Foreflight needing 10.3 or higher

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
I got an email today saying FF will require (for new updates only) ios 10.3 from here on out and of course my two will not ever get that update. I use a mini 1 and love the form factor so Im thinking of a mini 4. Does the mini 4 run FF smoothly when displaying traffic and weather? My mini 1 locks up and is very slow when too much going on within the app.

I know I can still use my old stuff and never upgrade past the current FF version but honestly my mini 1 is very very sluggish so Im fully okay getting a mini 4.

Does this mean no more FF on ipad 2??? Right after I renewed, it will no longer work??

My sole concern with the Mini 4 is it's longevity. Mine runs FF (and my other 5 EFBs) well, but it's "old tech" at this point.

We're already starting to see deals on it. You can view that as an opportunity or as the beginning of the end.

My sole concern with the Mini 4 is it's longevity. Mine runs FF (and my other 5 EFBs) well, but it's "old tech" at this point.

We're already starting to see deals on it. You can view that as an opportunity or as the beginning of the end.

I'm one to keep it for a while, I mean I still use a mini 1 and a gen 3 ipad that Ive had since 2012. Ill still keep the 3rd gen for a back up as it is cellular too.

i just dont think I like the full size pad in the cockpit. I currently yoke mount the mini and find it perfect and it does not obstruct any instruments. BUT Id really hate to spend 400 bucks and in a year they stop supporting it and then FF says well now you need X to run FF. that's my luck!

I'm one to keep it for a while, I mean I still use a mini 1 and a gen 3 ipad that Ive had since 2012. Ill still keep the 3rd gen for a back up as it is cellular too.

i just dont think I like the full size pad in the cockpit. I currently yoke mount the mini and find it perfect and it does not obstruct any instruments. BUT Id really hate to spend 400 bucks and in a year they stop supporting it and then FF says well now you need X to run FF. that's my luck!
On full size vs Mini, do what I did in reverse. I used an iPad 1 and 3 in the cockpit and was concerned about the Mini readability. So I borrowed one to give it a try in flight.

But, while I like the Mini form factor better, I'd have no problem moving back to a larger tablet. The new, larger iPhones are also an option for those who choose to stick with iOS.

As much as I love the mini 4, I don't think it makes any sense to go out and buy one at this point. So your kind of stuck with the larger size.

Love my Mini 4 for running FoeFlight. Wish it was going to be around (size-wise) forever as I find it about perfect in a small airplane. Suction cup side window mount = thumbs up. Easy to see/read/interact with, no need to rotate head up/down to see it, it’s in a fixed position for easier data entry, it doesn’t move around like tile mounted setups, etc.

Definitely see some lag these days on a Mini 2. Mini 4 would be a little better but iOS updates are going to keep bloating along.

I would likely never update the iOS. I try not to on my Samsung but the thing is persistent and bugs me enough to where I do it. The mini 4 is going for about $300 now vs a pro at over $600. So im stuck at the moment. It's a dedicated FF machine is all its for. I hate apple but I bought the cool-aide all the way to the ESG so Im stuck with it all until I sell my plane one day.

Back