Foreflight Logbook vs. MyFlightbook

I've also added is a "beta playground" where I can start playing with alternative user-interface models that might work better. I've long felt that the MyFlightbook user interface is, well, shall we say "vintage"? The most important area for a refresh, IMO, is the main logbook page. So please check out http://myflightbook.com/logbook/Member/LogbookNew.aspx and send me any feedback. It's your live logbook (and the graphics are just as function-over-form as always), only the UI is different - mostly in that it lets you do more on a single page, it's a more integrated view. But I hope the flow might be a bit cleaner. This is a playpen of sorts, so you will experience a jolt when you cross the boundaries between the playpen and the legacy site, but my hope is that I can get some good feedback from you, tweak it and improve it, and over time move the UI from the 1990s into the 2000s sometime before we hit 2020. :) Please send me feedback, either here, or via the "Contact" link on the website!

Slick! Liking what you got going on there!

It's free to CFIs:

Doesn't appear so on the site. Looks like it's free to CFI's and pilots IF they refer people.

From the site:

Instructors, sign up 2 students a year and you will always have your logbook for free!

Personally I use MyFlightbook.com because it's easy, offers simple import/export features and has a lot of other cool stuff.

I've also added is a "beta playground" where I can start playing with alternative user-interface models that might work better. I've long felt that the MyFlightbook user interface is, well, shall we say "vintage"? The most important area for a refresh, IMO, is the main logbook page. So please check out http://myflightbook.com/logbook/Member/LogbookNew.aspx and send me any feedback. It's your live logbook (and the graphics are just as function-over-form as always), only the UI is different - mostly in that it lets you do more on a single page, it's a more integrated view. But I hope the flow might be a bit cleaner. This is a playpen of sorts, so you will experience a jolt when you cross the boundaries between the playpen and the legacy site, but my hope is that I can get some good feedback from you, tweak it and improve it, and over time move the UI from the 1990s into the 2000s sometime before we hit 2020. :) Please send me feedback, either here, or via the "Contact" link on the website!

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the left nav :). There IS something to be said for saving screen real-estate like you did though, I like that. One thing I like about the old layout is the currency totals. If you lose the nav, but find a way to put the totals up there and still keep the extra top room, that would be cool I think.

Maybe totals on the left, keep everything centered with the little pop-downs. It's nice to be able to get a top-down view at a glance. Got used to that.

One thing I like about the old layout is the currency totals. If you lose the nav, but find a way to put the totals up there and still keep the extra top room, that would be cool I think.
You mean the totals + currency on the same screen, with some quick date filters?

You mean the totals + currency on the same screen, with some quick date filters?

Eric, yeah something like that. I'm attaching a rather crude mockup of what I was thinking. I just like the overview I guess :). Helps me know where I stand at a glance. Maybe the currency goes above the totals.

Dunno how others feel about it.

Attachments

• example.JPG
    example.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 10
When I use the Myflightbook iPhone app it appears that unless I check the 'MyFlightBook' checkbox at the bottom of the screen, this flight will not be saved to the cloud.

This seems like a design bug to me, or is it a feature?

@JimNtexas, that checkbox is for sharing to "social media" buddies within MFB.

If you have a good net connection, the flight details get sent to the cloud as soon as you tap either "Add" in the top right, or "New Flight" on the bottom icon bar.

If no good connection, the flight is stored on your device until a connection is made.

When I use the Myflightbook iPhone app it appears that unless I check the 'MyFlightBook' checkbox at the bottom of the screen, this flight will not be saved to the cloud.

This seems like a design bug to me, or is it a feature?
The flight is saved to the cloud when you press "Add" or "Update" (upper right of the new flight/recent flight details screen). The MyFlightbook checkbox simply indicates whether other people can view (limited) details of the flight. The only difference in behavior as a result of that is that if someone were to follow a link to the flight (e.g., if you posted it to Facebook), and the box was not checked, they'd go to a map screen with the route of flight and nothing else. E.g., something that looks like this: http://myflightbook.com/logbook/Public/MapRoute2.aspx?Airports=KPAE BVS KPAE. But if the "MyFlightbook" checkbox is checked, then they will see something like this: http://myflightbook.com/logbook/Public/ViewPublicFlight.aspx/2674991. In BOTH cases the flight is saved to the cloud, it's just a matter of how much is revealed to people other than you.

Are you pressing Add/Update and NOT seeing the flight uploaded or in your recent flights list? That would be a (bad) bug, but I have not encountered that.

Back