Foreflight Logbook... Major oversight?

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
For those of you who use Foreflight logbook, is there really no option to pull up and view/print/edit your individual log entries on a computer? If not, this sucks.

I am trying to print out 6 full, individual logbook entries for my checkride tomorrow. The best I can do is screenshot them on my ipad, and it would take multiple screenshots per entry to get the whole thing.

I can get flight experience and summaries online but its very limited information and not what I am looking for.

WTF

Don't mean to hijack your thread but have another logbook question. Do any of you all find that foreflight logbook inserts too much time for a flight? I believe it is counting my taxi / runup time for a flight. I see the setting to auto start/stop tracklogs. Does logbook take it's time from tracklog?

The only selection I find relative to "speed" on/off is regarding hazard advisor.

Foreflight should know that my 10 knot taxi speed is not part of the time I need to log.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but have another logbook question. Do any of you all find that foreflight logbook inserts too much time for a flight? I believe it is counting my taxi / runup time for a flight. I see the setting to auto start/stop tracklogs. Does logbook take it's time from tracklog?

The only selection I find relative to "speed" on/off is regarding hazard advisor.

Foreflight should know that my 10 knot taxi speed is not part of the time I need to log.
Well, since under the official FAA definition, "flight time" starts when the aircraft begins moving under it own power, what exactly is the problem?

Well, since under the official FAA definition, "flight time" starts when the aircraft begins moving under it own power, what exactly is the problem?

Exactly.

But even with that in mind, I notice Foreflight logs more time than I log via my watch. Because it's often way off... no idea why, I don't use their calculations.

I'm pretty sure that the FAA has stated that just logging Hobbs time is acceptable, even if you spend a few minutes on the ramp configuring everything and getting the ATIS and maybe having to wait for a taxi clearance.

OP, you can export the FF log to excel and print it that way.

Apparently my understanding of what I should be logging. Lol

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree with Cajun though. Sometimes it seems to include the preflight.

Yup, log it prop start to stop

OP, you can export the FF log to excel and print it that way.

Yes, but the format it comes out in is not suitable for printing. I would have to work a ton of excel magic to get anything close to decent.

As others have said, you do want to log the taxi time. If you want to log separate flight time, you can but that is not what you will find in everyone else's logbook.

I e-mailed ForeFlight asking them to add this feature. Well not a feature, this should be a core part of the logbook program!

So there is no way to print a foreflight log up? That seems like quite the thing to forget when making a electronic log lol

Been quite happy with my good sheets log

FF logging still seems to be a bolt on and isn't their core competency. I don't even bother with it.

There's better stuff that is designed for logging and has no other job to do, so the developer is completely focused on logging, like @EricBe 's stuff.

I simply make three entries. Tach start and stop times. Hobbs start and stir times. AOA start and stop times. Works 100% of the time

FF logging still seems to be a bolt on and isn't their core competency. I don't even bother with it.

There's better stuff that is designed for logging and has no other job to do, so the developer is completely focused on logging, like @EricBe 's stuff.
The FF logbook is one of those features I'm a bit cynical about. I'm probably off base, but I see it as a customer retention gimmick. An average user can find a number of reasons to switch EFBs, but having to also go through the process of transferring an electronic logbook is daunting to most.

My use of the FF logbook is simply to keep up with my flights between entries into my hard copy logbook and Myflightbook app. It's handy to go every couple weeks and transpose the flights. FF keeps me from forgetting a flight it is completely nonessential.

Exactly.

But even with that in mind, I notice Foreflight logs more time than I log via my watch. Because it's often way off... no idea why, I don't use their calculations.

I've noticed it counts a lot more time than Hobbs or stopwatch from engine start to shutdown.

The FF logbook is one of those features I'm a bit cynical about. I'm probably off base, but I see it as a customer retention gimmick. An average user can find a number of reasons to switch EFBs, but having to also go through the process of transferring an electronic logbook is daunting to most.

I understand the thought, but it's actually very easy to export the log and import info other efbs. I did it quite a bit while testing.

I understand the thought, but it's actually very easy to export the log and import info other efbs. I did it quite a bit while testing.

How big was it? The more data in them, the more likely errors happen in transfer, and they're very hard to find. I'm still missing .2 in mine and I've been through the paper to electronic read-every-page game twice now. I decided I don't care anymore.

I wouldn't have any trouble. I've done exports, imports, and transfers a few times since my first electronic logbook about 25 years ago. But based upon inquiries I've seen, I doubt the "average user" understands the process well enough to do that.

How big was it? The more data in them, the more likely errors happen in transfer, and they're very hard to find. I'm still missing .2 in mine and I've been through the paper to electronic read-every-page game twice now. I decided I don't care anymore.
LOL. Probably some small input error. I'm still finding discrepancies like that. The funny ones are when I use MyFlightBook's ability to map flights and see those airports I supposedly landed at in China because I mistyped a letter in an identifier.

That sounds miserable. I would decide the same.

It wasn't very big. I tried to use every data field I could, across a test of 50 or so flights. I compared the exports between a couple of different apps, with no errors. And, while it's true that more data is more opportunity for errors, when you consider the fact that even a 12,000 hour pilot is still likely to only have 10,000 records or so ... odds are pretty low you'd get an error on import or export.

Carried a paper logbook around with me for about a year and realized that it's way too time consuming to write all that junk down after every flight. Now, putting it in electronically was just easier. So I started using myflightbook.com.

Last year I started using FF and thought I would give the LB a try. I exported all my stuff from myflightbook.com over and hated it. Switched back to myflightbook.com within a week.

LOL. Probably some small input error. I'm still finding discrepancies like that. The funny ones are when I use MyFlightBook's ability to map flights and see those airports I supposedly landed at in China because I mistyped a letter in an identifier.

I'm impressed with how well MFB and @EriceBe handle all the airports in my logbook that don't exist anymore. :-( Ft Collins Downtown, Aurora Airpark... etc.

Congrats, Ren!

Thanks! Not a major milestone but every check-ride is a bit of an adventure... nice to have it behind me. I ended up getting signed off with 5.5 hours in a Twin Comanche miller conversion.

Last edited:
Carried a paper logbook around with me for about a year and realized that it's way too time consuming to write all that junk down after every flight. Now, putting it in electronically was just easier. So I started using myflightbook.com.

Last year I started using FF and thought I would give the LB a try. I exported all my stuff from myflightbook.com over and hated it. Switched back to myflightbook.com within a week.

I am switching back to MyFlightBook.

Back