Foreflight IFR flight plan - how quickly do ATC get it?

Daz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Daz
For those who use foreflight to file IFR flight plans, any idea on how quick it takes between hitting “submit” and it being available for ATC to give you IFR clearance? I think I heard once you need 30 minutes but not sure this is true considering I usually get a confirmation email from foreflight within 1-2 minutes.

Darren

Pdq, I usually get an acknowledgement within seconds and an updated route within 5 minutes.

in garmin pilot, which u didn't ask about, tower gets it in under a minute, in my personal limited experience.

You should get an acknowledgement from ForeFlight that your IFR plan has been accepted. This happens pretty quickly, within a couple minutes, if that. Try filing a flight plan and see for yourself...you don't have to really fly it.
Jon

Pdq, I usually get an acknowledgement within seconds and an updated route within 5 minutes.
A story from a buddy confirms this...

During a longish cross country, he said the frequency was busy and difficult to get “his turn”. iPad showed he had decent cell data signal, so he filed and quickly got the acknowledgment it was in the system.

Took a minute or two to get his turn at the controller. But when he did, the info was there for the controller to find and issue the clearance.

I have also filed while sitting in the control tower’s shadow and within a very short time after receiving the acknowledgment, the ground controller was on and asking if I was ready to copy.

Pretty much the same with any EFB, most (all?) of which are routing through Leidos anyway. System is automated so confirmation of filing is immediate with the expected clearance following quickly after.

From a controller discussion, it sounds like the amount of time you actually need to wait before it is available is more a function of printing and passing where using printed strips than anything else. But no more than 10-15 minutes should do it. Can any of our controllers shed light?

Back