Foreflight, expected route email

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
I noticed yesterday when I filed that the Foreflight expected route email provided an expected squawk code. I haven't seen that in prior emails, neat feature, and it's two for two on my flights.

FF SC.JPG

I noticed yesterday when I filed that the Foreflight expected route email provided an expected squawk code. I haven't seen that in prior emails, neat feature, and it's two for two on my flights.

View attachment 54805
Now if only there was some internet based CPDLC system (app) for us GA guys to use on the ground to get complete clearances.

The expected route is absolutely useful, but I can't see the usefulness of a potential squawk code. They even have to have the "do not set" disclaimer.

The expected route is absolutely useful, but I can't see the usefulness of a potential squawk code. They even have to have the "do not set" disclaimer.
They get it and somebody thought it'd be cool to include? Pretty common with some features that are developed 'just-cuz'.

It would be pretty awesome to pick up SFRA codes that way.

Interesting.... I hope some folks will report if that is the actual squawk code they got.

Foreflight is preparing to win the bid to privatize ATC
Ooooooh, I'd be onboard for that!
Cuz those guys ACTUALLY ARE PILOTS and know how flying works. :thumbsup:

Just please please PLEASE don't let FltPlan win the bid. Then we're all doomed! Those monkeys haven't seen an airplane even from ... well ... an airplane. :D

The expected route comes from the FAA SWIM system and the squawk is provided with the FAA feed. It is the same information that is sent to the controller who issues your clearance, but until you have received your actual clearance, you can't use it. I would write it down as part of my CRAFT before I ask for the clearance, that way it is already copied, just like the rest of my clearance. Saves copy time if it is correct, simply change it if not. Here in the Charlotte area, they often switch departure frequencies during the day, so I prefill my F on CRAFT with all three possibilities and just circle the one they include in the clearance. Same with the altitude, I pre-copy M30 Exp 50 10 AD.

If you don't want to use it, don't.

The expected route is absolutely useful, but I can't see the usefulness of a potential squawk code.

One less thing to write down while trying to keep up with the clearance radio. Just cross check to verify.

Nice, so if the email says anything other than as filed or direct I know to just request VFR flight following when I call up ;)

The expected route comes from the FAA SWIM system and the squawk is provided with the FAA feed. It is the same information that is sent to the controller who issues your clearance, but until you have received your actual clearance, you can't use it. I would write it down as part of my CRAFT before I ask for the clearance, that way it is already copied, just like the rest of my clearance. Saves copy time if it is correct, simply change it if not. Here in the Charlotte area, they often switch departure frequencies during the day, so I prefill my F on CRAFT with all three possibilities and just circle the one they include in the clearance. Same with the altitude, I pre-copy M30 Exp 50 10 AD.

If you don't want to use it, don't.
Pre- filling as much of the CRAFT info as I already know is a valuable tip I got early on in my IFR training. Allows me to have some items already there while I focus on writing down key items such as routing

I can confirm that so far the codes I've received in the email were what I was actually assigned by ATC. 3/3 so far, pretty cool feature!

FltPlan has long given "expected routes" after filing and I still think their planning and flightplan printouts are better than ForeFlight. Still use ForeFlight in flight though.

Expected routes are nice because if you get something other than you filed you can take a moment to study the new route and gain situational awareness before getting in the plane.

The squwak code thing is an interesting novelty but I fail to see how this is really all that useful. You still need to get the code, read it back and punch it in so it saves no time and it doesn't matter what the code is so there's not much situational awareness benefit to knowing it in advance.

Oddly enough, I just had a flight where this would've come in handy. Departing KJAC, ground said "expect squawk at a later time" and read me the rest of my clearance. Then holding short of the runway, I got "N11111 cleared for takeoff squawk 1234." And then about five seconds later "N11111 cleared for takeoff, expedite, traffic five mile final." Controller was probably expecting me to begin rolling as soon as I got the clearance like the Delta flight ahead of me did---you know, the Airbus with two pilots up there. :)

Granted, this is a VERY specific situation, but it would've been kind of nice to have had it already programmed into the transponder, a quick double check, and then go. Annoyingly enough, I did use FF for that trip, but by the time I got the mail, I had turned off the radio in my iPad. :-\

I find the expected route clearances incredibly helpful, especially in unfamiliar locations where I don't know the spelling of the "common" intersections. It's nice for everyone when the controller doesn't have to disambiguate among WATTR, WATER, WAATR, or WATRR over the radio.

Back