Foreflight Embraces Lockheed Martin (a DUATS Horror Story)

LauraE51

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Laura
On Wednesday, i took my longest flight since returning to flying after 42 years, flying from Tracy (KTCY) to Palm Springs (KPSP) for a conference. I'd prepared several different routes, depending on the weather and my last minute preferences and i listened to LiveATC for many hours to understand the Palm Springs airspace.

The flight down was terrific, although i did feel some anxiety because this was a route and destination i'd never traveled to before. It was fun and relatively uneventful, unless you call my 40 minute adventure at KMIT where the gas pumps wouldn't work, a problem.

To my surprise, when i woke this morning and sent one of my FF routes to DUATS for a briefing, i was told that my route was invalid. Yes, FF (or probably DUATS) hated my route. (The exact language was, "Invalid route: Some parts not recognizable.") Now, i'd taken this route south, so i began experimenting with some of the other routes i'd saved. Some came back successfully with a briefing but most didn't. In between experimenting with routes, i emailed FF with the problem. They quickly replied asking for my exact route, with waypoints, so they could replicate the problem. On my end, i began modifying my route by eliminating one waypoint at a time and sending that route to DUATS. Eventually i found the exact waypoint that was the culprit, got the briefing, and went on my way.

Only when i returned home did i see an email from FF saying they couldn't replicate the problem, but asking to call me to talk through it. As it turns out, DUATS was probably the problem. Jeb, from FF, explained that FF had just scaled back their DUATS support, and had arranged for all briefings to go through Lockheed Martin instead. However, for me to take advantage of it, i'd need to sign out of DUATS within FF. He walked me through it and sent me the link to their blog post (dated yesterday) where they explained their reasoning.

The best part is that you don't have to have a Lockheed Martin account. Ask for a briefing. Get a briefing. Problem solved

Well, not before a whole lot of grief.

Here's their post: http://blog.foreflight.com/2015/03/19/faster-auto-router-now-available-duats-services-deprecated/

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'll see how it goes with DUAT and then try the disconnect.

Yep, same here. When I file it's nearly instant that I get a response from ATC and have an expected route within a couple of minutes. It's one of the best services out there.

Given the price FF charges for their service, there is no excuse for a problem.

Given the price FF charges for their service, there is no excuse for a problem.

I'd disagree. ForeFlight is one of the best values in aviation. When I add up all the charts and plates I don't buy. Then add dedicated handheld GPS I don't carry. And finally all the time saved flight planning, checking weather, reading notams, searching documents, etc. It's a bargain. And finally anyone who thinks if you pay enough you get problem free software, doesn't know software.

Yeah, LockMart works better via FF then DUATS.

Compared to Avare, it's quite expensive. The price delta is $75/$149 per year. That's a trip to see my folks. The best thing, there is. O extra charge for Enroutes or Approach Plates, it's all the same (FREE) price. There is, however, no link to weather, DUATS or flight service.

"Cheap" and "expensive" are in the eyes of the beholder. I use NOAA's free service, combined with my free weather app, to check weather, and a quick call to LockMart gets it official, on record and filed. To me, that's not worth &150 every year.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program . . . . .

Compared to Avare, it's quite expensive. The price delta is $75/$149 per year. That's a trip to see my folks. The best thing, there is. O extra charge for Enroutes or Approach Plates, it's all the same (FREE) price. There is, however, no link to weather, DUATS or flight service.

"Cheap" and "expensive" are in the eyes of the beholder. I use NOAA's free service, combined with my free weather app, to check weather, and a quick call to LockMart gets it official, on record and filed. To me, that's not worth &150 every year.

Ever wonder how long they'll continue to handle all the data updates, server support and monthly bandwidth costs? :dunno: I hope they're wealthy and can work for free forever, but not sure that's very realistic.

Many would say compared to Avare, ForeFlight is a mature program compared with a fledgling child with limited knowledge.

Signed, a realistic ForeFlight and Avare lover.

Have used FF since it came out,great product for the price,just the weight savings ,from paper charts is worth it.

CloudAhoy, an iPhone/iPad app that recorded your flight tracks, was free for a couple of years too. It's still free to install, but $45 per year to access the logged data.

Free is not a reasonable expectation for the long run.

If you brief and file through FF and Lockmart you can also open and close your VFR plan through FF. Makes it pretty nice.

*SNIP!* There is, however, no link to weather, DUATS or flight service.

You need to update your Avare, the newest version has the ability to file flight plans through Lockheed Martin, and every version I've had will display Nexrad data, though that's all the weather you really get. I'm a huge fan of Avare, partly because I hate apple products with a passion and Foreflight doesn't support the superior products.

And now SA's FlyQ app works with both stratus units.

Attachments

• efb.JPG
    efb.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 15
Back