ForeFlight and Stratus 2S question: Why are the radar layers grayed out?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Asking for a friend who called me last night.

She has FF on her tablet (WiFi version, no built in Cell data/GPS). Both FF and the tablet are current with software versions. And she has the 2S to obtain the GPS and ADS-B In signals.

While in flight, what would cause the radar layers selections (Radar (composite) and Radar (Lowest Tilt)) to be grayed out and not selectable?

On the ground, in range of a WiFi signal or hotspot tethered to her phone, these selections are white and selectable. But in flight, no joy.

She said she has called Appaero, but got the answer of "that only works when you have connection to the internet" wasn't helpful since we all know interwebs connectivity in flight isn't always available to us.

She shared that email queries to ForeFlight support weren't much help either.

I have plans to see her in person this weekend to see this for myself and try to puzzle out. But thought I would ask the group mind here for ideas of what to look for and try.

(note, this image is from my iPad, not hers with the grayed out items)

UZweEY3vQFPghy6CSoLs4pmvfv0ILepjc0-gAUSbTtGMVnf62QrSWLKTkR9Z4Potl-FUpcRiEhOM6AqIhVf__1cX7MLXzt-CNRGIDHnjE06hlJ4w6ZTqOb1GXKYn8271rUA22r7iodFsfynsQYPhfdn70rQ6T-342_E73ZUQzoIdpBKHvp1jGg-nbr-4zbKelXR40_NKKYa6Y2nUb8FtJZytBBb2zT8muecED-unMvmzDXKqzEEn-PqApElKHMf3Nr28pXKKn3FCisHsEmbLgtpKqtHj8Ner1SS--_kIlb-nw_u-HjsyOZNrG0X7goAKZd2A7XWoYf3m7X8D6zzl6WmBjEE0EtBwWABtzm1jrpNJFD6TqtWaIUap5X_iNgiNdS9A8wkVNp1WTyAQ6sEXjnITU5_IUXOTvXHJTBW8TTjRenk-5C3qHdCXAXK4lFNJ0upe2y6z42KwiDikIJ_byZfdfGKXWUwnvqH4eCiqAippdXWvew2zFcmsWT9rIJq-JLjgJD5zUqbwTKjYmhbdKTo2QRH6mybzGQm8V8iLm5obQ8UtRylpvF1UVGzog8Ufedp5FqeWnhmO3qUMj4TYRrwQCQj0bryewruRfy4=w953-h649-no

Last edited:
I almost always have mine selected before I get in the plane and it's always just worked although the ADS-B radar images are a lot more blocky than you get over the internet. Do we know where she was/how many towers she was receiving? Maybe some kind of software "feature" so you can't select radar when you're not receiving radar data? I'm just speculating...

I believe that is just a Foreflight feature, and not an ADS-b feature. Mine is grayed out too.

Do we know where she was/how many towers she was receiving?
No, we don't.

The plan when we meet up for lunch is to try to do it somewhere on the NW side of Fort Worth where, if we are lucky, we might be in range of a ADSB Tower.

is cockpit sharing turned on in settings ...more.... settings....? and 4 color radar?

Not sure yet. As far as I know, this was a "sole pilot" scenario.

My understanding is that the “lowest tilt” radar is not available over ADS-B, only via internet on the ground. The “composite” should be available in flight, though.

Contact FF support yet? Let us know what you find out.

Jef has the right answer... That data is only available over an internet connection. There is lots of FF data not available in flight, This is part of the reason FF has you "Pack" the flight plan before leaving, while still on the internet.

My wish is one day we can all have planes with lower cost continuous connectivity.

Assuming she had her location displayed on the chart, assuring a GPS signal and proper connectivity with the Appareo device, It sounds to me like she was not receiving transmissions from an ADS-B tower. And yes, she would only have one option for composite radar via ADS-B in.

FF doesn't always update the information it should be displaying when you, say, switch WIFI via hotspot off and turn Stratus on. Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

I find the best practice is to force-close FF by double-pressing the Home Button and swiping up on FF. Then, reopening it allows it to sync to the Stratus correctly wherein FF goes and does its auto update thing.

Using an I pad,I go to the settings page and check to see that FF is linked to the stratus.

When you're on the regular map display it should say "stratus" in the upper left corner along with the number of towers it's receiving if everything is working.

Using an I pad,I go to the settings page and check to see that FF is linked to the stratus.
That step is on my pre-flight checklist. Sometimes the iGadget needs a kick in the pants to join the Stratus WiFi. Usually just opening the iOS Settings page (not the Settings page in the FF app) is enough. Then the WiFi symbol appears, ADS-B traffic shows up, and all is well.

Last edited:
If she is indeed connected to the Stratus (sometimes it disconnects), then it sounds like she is not in range of ADS-B. Could be too low or too far out in the middle of nowhere. There are dead pockets. Also, if I recall from some time in a trainer 172, if the plane is not ADS-B OUT equipped, the Stratus will only receive ADS-B IN when in the "halo" of other ADS-B OUT transmitting planes. Basically the ground stations send the data skyward only after receiving a ping from ADS-B OUT planes in the area.

Radar lowest tilt is a product that is only available when one is connected to the internet. Radar composite can be displayed if you have an internet or a Stratus connection. With a Stratus connection, you must be receiving ADS-B weather data. The Stratus will receive any weather data as long as the antenna is line of sight to a ground station, ADS-B Out is not a requirement to receive ADS-B weather.

One point easily missed is that the Stratus is a wifi device that does not have internet access, so even if you have a cellular service with internet, the iOS chooses the wifi from Stratus over cellular. This can be an issue if you are doing an operation in the App such as Filing, Activating, or Closing a flightplan and the Stratus is connected. The operation will fail because the Stratus wifi blocks access to the cellular connection. If as the OP indicated that on the ground they were tethered to a local wifi or cellular hotspot, one can't simultaneously be connected to the Stratus wifi. You have to connect to the Stratus wifi when airborne if you wish to receive ADS-B weather via the Stratus. So you have to manage which wifi you are connected to.

Back