Foreflight Airspace

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
On map view saw something I haven’t seen before. A box in the lower right corner that said ‘showing all airspace. I clicked on it and this came up. I cleared all the buttons except Controlled Airspace. It just shows B, C and D’s. No other Controlled Airspace except some Oceanic Control Areas.

On map view saw something I haven’t seen before. A box in the lower right corner that said ‘showing all airspace. I clicked on it and this came up. I cleared all the buttons except Controlled Airspace. It just shows B, C and D’s. No other Controlled Airspace except some Oceanic Control Areas.
What other controlled airspace are you expecting to see?

What other controlled airspace are you expecting to see?
Seeing as how they label it Controlled Airspace, show all Controlled Airspace. But yeah, that would mean pretty much the entire Lower 48. I would expect them to label the button B C D Airspace. Because that’s what it shows. They are contributing to an all too common misconception that Controlled Airspace means Airspace where you must establish communication with ATC and sometimes get a Clearance in the case of B.

@luvflyin … try turning in “Auto highlight”

This is a helpful function as it brings to the front the airspace you are about to enter or are already in. The other sectors remain dim.

For me, this is used as I operate under and in the DFW Bravo.

Seeing as how they label it Controlled Airspace, show all Controlled Airspace. But yeah, that would mean pretty much the entire Lower 48. I would expect them to label the button B C D Airspace. Because that’s what it shows. They are contributing to an all too common misconception that Controlled Airspace means Airspace where you must establish communication with ATC and sometimes get a Clearance in the case of B.
it does have a separate toggle for class E if that’s what you want to see.

I would assume someone who knows the basics of airspace knows that the dimensions of class E and A airspace are very different from D/C/B airspace, and would find a default depiction of all E and A airspace quite unhelpful if they selected controlled airspace. Labeling it BCD airspace just makes the button more visually cluttered on the app. I’m not opposed to labeling it as such but I don’t think ForeFlight is contributing to airspace misunderstandings.

Last edited:
There it is
I think i's a minor change of what I've seen before. As I recall, there used to be as setting that said something like "Controlled airspace except Class E." I remember it because I turned Class E off. Depicting it in the US doesn't give us much. In other countries it can be important. For example, if I understand it correctly, there is Class G IFR in the UK, apparently used pretty often by those with their Restricted Instrument Rating, who are not permitted to operate IFR in Class E.

I'm not surprised at the use of shorthand terms in the app.

@luvflyin … try turning in “Auto highlight”

This is a helpful function as it brings to the front the airspace you are about to enter or are already in. The other sectors remain dim.

For me, this is used as I operate under and in the DFW Bravo.
I know how that works.

Back