ForeFlight 9 - Track Up is here!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hey folks,

I've been excited for this during the testing phase - ForeFlight 4.9 is now out, with a new mapping engine that supports track up, for those of you who are afflicted with that particular disease. ;)

It also has "Earth View" - The new mapping engine is spherical and allows you to zoom out and see the entire planet.

Enjoy!

Lots of new features...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 83
my subscription is up for renewal ... considering Garmin Pilot as a replacement. Thoughts?
Pros and cons?

Gotta say... that map motion is very smooth now.
Tim

my subscription is up for renewal ... considering Garmin Pilot as a replacement. Thoughts?
Pros and cons?

Several items on the short list of the advantages of Garmin were just eliminated by this FF update? :dunno:

I'm a Garmin guy, generally, and I never liked Pilot compared to FF. n=1.

Last edited:
If my experience is typical, the update defaults your device to track up, forward mode. Jst FYI for those who love north up.

Pros and cons?

I still have a few months to go on my garmin subscription.

The one thing I like better about garmin is a CDI display for enroute navigation in a cub or 152.

That's the one thing. Foreflight is better. I currently have a subscription running to both, but use FF

If my experience is typical, the update defaults your device to track up, forward mode. Jst FYI for those who love north up.

I do hope that that is easily changed, for I am a north up guy.

Wells

I do hope that that is easily changed, for I am a north up guy.

You can change the default in Settings, or switch between orientations on the fly by tapping an icon on the map screen.

JKG

Good update

I especially like that you can now view your user waypoints.

Last edited:
Another very happy ForeFlight user here..

You can change the default in Settings, or switch between orientations on the fly by tapping an icon on the map screen.

JKG

Yes, but I shouldn't be forced to change the default from the old default - without notice that the default has changed. If folks want track-up, let them enable the option.

Another case of arrogant programmers making a change to the program default from the OLD default rather than allowing folks to change to the new OPTION if they choose.

Yes, but I shouldn't be forced to change the default from the old default - without notice that the default has changed. If folks want track-up, let them enable the option.

Another case of arrogant programmers making a change to the program default from the OLD default rather than allowing folks to change to the new OPTION if they choose.

woah woah, have you considered that maybe the developers put this function as default because they wanted everyone to see the change?

Or do you really believe people read changelogs?

woah woah, have you considered that maybe the developers put this function as default because they wanted everyone to see the change?

Or do you really believe people read changelogs?

There are better ways to do it than changelogs or changing the default. The change in default is NOT listed in the (very brief) changelog on the update screen. It certainly could have been listed there rather than as a "surprise" when I try to use the program.

To be sure, this is NOT the only set of programmers that do this sort of thing, I had it happen with another set of program updates on something else recently. You shouldn't have to change your defaults if the PROGRAMMERS make a change.

(soapbox off)

I agree that the old behavior should generally be the default, but in this case, it just isn't a big deal at all. The behavior can be changed on the map screen, and the default can be changed in Settings.

The reality is that when functionality is changed or enhanced, it is logical that the new functionality will replace that which has been retired. In this case, the old functionality is still there as an option, but I suspect that a majority of users probably prefer track up. Why should they have to change the default simply because you don't want to?

Now, a one-time notice of a change in default behavior on the first launch of the new version might be a good idea.

JKG

Last edited:
PIREP: I just flew with it and I really liked it for nav. It was just a short local flight to another airport and back with a few vectors from NorCal.

I just downloaded it (can't use it for a while) but it looks pretty cool. I wish they had an option for an object database like a 430/530 display though.

My didn't go to track up without me changing it.

There are better ways to do it than changelogs or changing the default. The change in default is NOT listed in the (very brief) changelog on the update screen. It certainly could have been listed there rather than as a "surprise" when I try to use the program.

To be sure, this is NOT the only set of programmers that do this sort of thing, I had it happen with another set of program updates on something else recently. You shouldn't have to change your defaults if the PROGRAMMERS make a change.

(soapbox off)
Fwiw it's generally not the "programmers" that are making those decisions.

Pros and cons?

They're almost a horse a piece these days, with cross platform ability going to Garmin. I still LOVE the FF user interface. I have both and will probably keep both for awhile. But you can't go wrong with either.

I did a night xc with it tonight. It's buttery smooth on the display. Never was all that concerned up with track up, but I liked it. Good upgrade.

I think this would make for a good thread topic.
I too am a North up kind of guy and I have my very good reasons for being that way.

It has been a recurrent thread topic on these boards over the years. There seems to be a slight preference of Track Up people. But people are very hard-wired in their ways.

I am North Up, because I have always looked at maps that way. I do not turn maps or approach charts upside down or on their sides to view them-- my brain just does that pretty easily. When I am looking at a weather system, I like to think of "about 30 miles east of Greensboro", for example. When I need or want to think "10 degrees Right", it is easier to make that transition and keep my overall situational awareness.

In fact, this preference extends to car GPS systems. Sure, it is easier for turn-by-turn directions, whether spoken to me by the GPS or displayed on the map to get where I am going, but if I use a car GPS in track up and merely follow the voice, I find I never really learn my way around a new city. I like maps and knowing where major landmarks/streets are. I like to be oriented.

I guess I have accepted that the world does not revolve around me.

Wells

Sweet, ForeFlight is finally catching up to it's competition

On 4.9's obstacles feature, the obstacle icons just rapidly flash off and on about two times per second when viewed with any base map on my iPhone 5. I haven't tried it on the iPad yet. Is this expected behavior?

P.S.- you North Up guys can do that in Track Up mode... Just fly north!

On 4.9's obstacles feature, the obstacle icons just rapidly flash off and on about two times per second when viewed with any base map on my iPhone 5. I haven't tried it on the iPad yet. Is this expected behavior?

P.S.- you North Up guys can do that in Track Up mode... Just fly north!

Mine don't. At least not when I'm sitting in my living room viewing them on my iPhone.

Mine don't. At least not when I'm sitting in my living room viewing them on my iPhone.

It's only on the iPhone, and when zoomed out a bit, either using the + / - tools in the lower left, or via pinch/zoom. I reported it to ForeFlight, and Jason replied quickly (on the weekend!), asked for a reboot and a video if it happened again after that, which I produced for him. Great customer service, as always...

It's only on the iPhone, and when zoomed out a bit, either using the + / - tools in the lower left, or via pinch/zoom. I reported it to ForeFlight, and Jason replied quickly (on the weekend!), asked for a reboot and a video if it happened again after that, which I produced for him. Great customer service, as always...

Confirmed fixed in today's update.

You mean I've been accepting all this free medical advice (which has always proven to be both sound and practical) from a north-up guy? Shouldn't you have disclosed this affliction at the start? ;)

It has been a recurrent thread topic on these boards over the years. There seems to be a slight preference of Track Up people. But people are very hard-wired in their ways.

I am North Up, because I have always looked at maps that way. I do not turn maps or approach charts upside down or on their sides to view them-- my brain just does that pretty easily. When I am looking at a weather system, I like to think of "about 30 miles east of Greensboro", for example. When I need or want to think "10 degrees Right", it is easier to make that transition and keep my overall situational awareness.

In fact, this preference extends to car GPS systems. Sure, it is easier for turn-by-turn directions, whether spoken to me by the GPS or displayed on the map to get where I am going, but if I use a car GPS in track up and merely follow the voice, I find I never really learn my way around a new city. I like maps and knowing where major landmarks/streets are. I like to be oriented.

I guess I have accepted that the world does not revolve around me.

Wells

You mean I've been accepting all this free medical advice (which has always proven to be both sound and practical) from a north-up guy? Shouldn't you have disclosed this affliction at the start? ;)

Does that leave you disoriented?

Back