ForeFlight 7.2 available

I teach CS part-time at a local university. The students always ask what my favorite programming language/computer/OS is. I explain that I'm language-agnostic - my favorite language is whatever I'm being paid to use, whatever computer I'm being paid to use, and that the check clears. In my non-business life, I use whatever benefits me most.

My point exactly. I don't do app-writing or CS-related work, but I have worked with plenty of software developers who can write the code in whatever language is necessary, it's not like there's zero similarity in writing an app for Android and iOS. It just takes someone who understands both.

My point exactly. I don't do app-writing or CS-related work, but I have worked with plenty of software developers who can write the code in whatever language is necessary, it's not like there's zero similarity in writing an app for Android and iOS. It just takes someone who understands both.

And it's not like that doesn't come at an expense. It would cost literally THREE TIMES MORE in development to build properly for both platforms. That's best case scenario.

Not only will it COST more to build, it's a larger technical debt and burden to your business which will complicate your support and future efforts.

Will they get significantly more than three times more sales? I seriously doubt it..hence why it's not going to happen.

They're not Garmin. Who the hell knows if Garmin even CARES about making money on the product right now or in the foreseeable future.

There are HUGE differences. They use different languages. Android uses Java and iOS uses Objective-C. The handling of files is also quite different -- iOS doesn't have a filesystem in the same sense that Android (or most other OS's) does.

Translation is labor intensive and VERY buggy, even if the languages are similar.

In principle, you could auto generate both sets of code, but that's a very expensive and not very reliable solution. You'll end up with pieces of crap in both OS's.

There are HUGE differences. They use different languages. Android uses Java and iOS uses Objective-C. The handling of files is also quite different -- iOS doesn't have a filesystem in the same sense that Android (or most other OS's) does.

Translation is labor intensive and VERY buggy, even if the languages are similar.

In principle, you could auto generate both sets of code, but that's a very expensive and not very reliable solution. You'll end up with pieces of crap in both OS's.

My point is that most people who develop software using Java and iOS will be familiar with those differences. For the people I've spoken to, it's not a big deal for those who are hired to do the work. They know how the file architecture works and where the hang-ups tend to be. Sure, it's a sizable investment, but that's what drives innovation.

Again, if they don't feel like the Android market share is worth it, so be it. I'm not anti-Apple, although I do greatly prefer the Android OS for mobile devices (I have a iphone 5/iPad at work, a Samsung Galaxy cell/Galaxy Tab S for home). For the day-to-day work I do, PC's are more than adequate for running the MS Office suite, so a Mac is just an overly-expensive piece of hardware. So, if given the choice between the two, I'll choose an app on the Android-side before I bother with the iOS stuff.

I teach CS part-time at a local university. The students always ask what my favorite programming language/computer/OS is. I explain that I'm language-agnostic - my favorite language is whatever I'm being paid to use, whatever computer I'm being paid to use, and that the check clears. In my non-business life, I use whatever benefits me most.
Ah! A rational human being! How rare! :)

Which is why I try not to support companies with lazy workers. Saying "we won't do android" is nothing but pure laziness.

Though, I don't use Android either, so it really doesn't prevent me from using it. But, I will refuse to ever use their product just on principle.

"Waaah! Waaah! I won't buy their product because it's only on Apple devices, but even if they did what I'm crying about, I wouldn't buy it anyway because I don't own an Android either!"

Wow. Compelling argument, and a clear business case with an obvious ROI. :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So, it's a religious issues for you, not a technical issue. That's cool. It's just important that we all understand the perspective's being offered in these discussions. I was never a huge Apple fan (some would have called me a strong detractor), but when I saw ForeFlight on the iPad I bought one immediately and never looked back. Features/usability trumped any ideological impediments.

Well put. I'm in the same boat.

I have yet to see any platform a solid and reliable as the Apple iOS and MacOS platforms. Sure, they have their occasional bugs, but compared to all other consumer-level OS's, they are far ahead in reliability. Why? Simple: Their OS's are designed ONLY for the hardware that was designed ONLY for them. Complete yin/yang.

That is the fundamental flaw with Android, Windows, and all other operating systems... they have to be hardware independent.

I'm sure many of my old colleagues would tell you how back in 1998 I was religious about how Windows was far superior to CrapOS, and at that time, it was. Now, much different story.

In my opinion it comes down to market fragmentation, and the related economics. While over 90% of Apple iOS users are up to date on iOS versions there are over 10 different versions of Android in the market. Also, the iOS devices have the same aspect ratio, which makes iPhone/iPad compatibility relatively easy. Drawing maps on the screen for 10+ different screen aspect ratios would be a nightmare and very very expensive to test.

In my opinion it comes down to market fragmentation, and the related economics. While over 90% of Apple iOS users are up to date on iOS versions there are over 10 different versions of Android in the market. Also, the iOS devices have the same aspect ratio, which makes iPhone/iPad compatibility relatively easy. Drawing maps on the screen for 10+ different screen aspect ratios would be a nightmare and very very expensive to test.
Thank goodness, Garmin manages it.

Garmin Pilot running on a Galaxy S 8.4" tablet rocks. :)

Drawing maps on the screen for 10+ different screen aspect ratios would be a nightmare and very very expensive to test.

Not much different that having to accommodate the various shapes and sizes of all the apple screens out there. Just ask any iPhone 6+ early adopter.

Thank goodness, Garmin manages it.

Garmin Pilot running on a Galaxy S 8.4" tablet rocks. :)

I haven't tried it yet on my Galaxy S 8.4 (just came in Sunday), but I bet it will work great. My wife's Nexus 7 never has any issues, either.

I haven't tried it yet on my Galaxy S 8.4 (just came in Sunday), but I bet it will work great. My wife's Nexus 7 never has any issues, either.
That's what I moved to after my Nexus 7 died, and I can vouch that it is great. The Samsung S has the Amoled screen -- the brightest currently on the market -- which makes sunlight visibility very good.

Since I fly a plane with a clear canopy, that's important to me.
(Garmin also runs great on my wife's El Cheapo Lenovo tablet, but her screen is so dim that it's almost worthless in sunlight.)

Back