ForeFlight 7.0

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Lots of new features. My favorite is the procedure advisor / visualizer. SIDs and STARs aren't often named in a way that makes it intuitive "which one approaches from the west", for example.

Chart legends are cool, as are one touch cycling through charts and quicker downloads (only what has CHANGED gets downloaded in the new cycle)!

http://blog.foreflight.com/2015/04/...dure-preview-faster-downloads-foreflight-7-0/

And web based planning? Nice.

http://www.foreflight.com/products/foreflight-web/

It's already there. Fire it up.

The procedure advisor is a good idea, but it needs some work in the details. It's not so great if there are a lot of procedures, and it doesn't let you tie them together unless you already know which procedures to use. It also doesn't know about TEC routes. The good news is that it has some approaches. No holds, though, and no missed procedures, so it's not entirely complete.

Last edited:
It's already there. Fire it up.

The procedure advisor is a good idea, but it needs some work in the details. It's not so great if there are a lot of procedures, and it doesn't let you tie them together unless you already know which procedures to use. It also doesn't know about TEC routes. The good news is that it has some approaches. No holds, though, and no missed procedures, so it's not entirely complete.
Yep, the procedure advisor is missing some procedures at some airports also. Checking on RDU when I updated I found 2 IAPs missing from the advisor. If you want to check if airports in your airea are affected, take a look at airports that have both a "normal" and a "CAT" ILS to the same runway. You may find that the procedure advisor only shows one of them.

I reported it to ForeFlight yesterday evening.

The thing I'd really like to see from these folks is vertical planning.

IFR plans around here in spam cans tend to have a lot of climbs and descents, because the MEAs vary by several thousand feet. Topography is long mountain ranges of ~4000 feet alternating with long sea level valleys. And of course I'd like to plan the letdown.

But for fuel planning, IFR minimums are about cruise performance, but I'd really like to know how much fuel I need to fly to my destination including the approach, go missed, fly to the alternate, fly another approach, and then land, and add 45 minutes to that. Approaches are not always available in the correct direction due to terrain, and flying an ILS from over the airport can take 30+ minutes in a slow plane. E.g., arriving at SNS VOR and then flying the ILS 31 into KSNS. I'd be nervous as hell if I'd just gone missed at Watsonville and had only the required reserve.

FF is only getting better give them some time after every improvement,to tweak the updates.

The new version has some really nice features. One thing I've been asking for for several years is a simple timer on the approach plate page. Yes there are still a lot of approaches where we have to time to the MAP.

Maybe it was my imagination yesterday but I swear "Chart Touch" was presented with the small trademark reference after it ("TM") now its not.

Only reason I ask is "ChartTouch" the same as "Chart Touch" in the world of trademarks ?

Last edited:
The new version has some really nice features. One thing I've been asking for for several years is a simple timer on the approach plate page. Yes there are still a lot of approaches where we have to time to the MAP.

That would be really nice.

The airplane I flew a few weeks ago had a second hand that clearly needed help. It kept good time, but it took much longer than a minute for that second hand to cycle all the way around.

I really like the new procedure advisor. Looks like it will be a handy tool loading approaches in the air. Really nice to see all procedures laid out visually. Couple of taps and its loaded into the route and the approach plate is on your map. Really cool.

I think the web planner will be a great addition to the package. I am looking forward to trying it. It will probably end up being alot more of my trips planned on the pc and just flown on the ipad.

I probably wouldn't have installed this release so quickly but my new ipad was set to auto download updates (now fixed). I am hoping Foreflight doesn't experience any bugs with this release.

I have asked for the same thing.

I too can not wait for the web flight planning. Will be nice!

Maybe it was my imagination yesterday but I swear "Chart Touch" was presented with the small trademark reference after it ("TM") now its not.

Only reason I ask is "ChartTouch" the same as "Chart Touch" in the world of copyrights ?
No. But it might be in the world of trademarks.

Back