ForeFlight 6.6 - Synthetic Vision

Hey Jonesy I stole one of your synthetic image screenshots to make a point to a friend.. I really like how it works, and I think with the new Stratus 2 I got for Christmas the capability is potentially lifesaving.

Hey Jonesy I stole one of your synthetic image screenshots to make a point to a friend.. I really like how it works, and I think with the new Stratus 2 I got for Christmas the capability is potentially lifesaving.

I couldn't agree more. After using it for a couple of flights I'd be very comfortable using it as a backup to lost instruments in an emergency.

Looks like Santa was busy delivering Stratus 2s this Christmas! I left extra cookies for him to assure delivery.

A question. Anyone think it might tempt someone flying an approach where it is below minimums to continue on down?

A question. Anyone think it might tempt someone flying an approach where it is below minimums to continue on down?

Not anyone who appreciates its limitations. But if I was on fire I'd take my chances with it.

$800 for a Stratus 2?? Out!

$800 for a Stratus 2?? Out!

Rly? Granted, it's the only ADS-B + AHRS that works with ForeFlight, but Stratus 2 is also several several hundred $$ less than the iLevil and Clarity SV. Only the GDL39-3D is the same price.

For what it's worth, the SV still works without the AHRS: you'll see the obstacles/terrain, you'll just get no pitch/roll info on the SV display.

Attachments

• picture2.png
    picture2.png
    1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Not anyone who appreciates its limitations. But if I was on fire I'd take my chances with it.

Hopefully the aircraft would be on fire and not you... Yet. ;)

If you're on fire, I doubt you'd be caring too much what's on the screen of the gadgets. :(

But, to use it in my DA40 you need to mount the iPad in landscape mode and exactly parallel to the G1000 displays.

Why? I mount the iPad in Portrait about halfway between the panel and me and to the left of the PFD when I'm flying the DA40.

That would of course block the screens. But if the screens went dead in IMC (god forbid) it would be a lifesaver.Any suggestions on how to rig up a bracket that would be used only in an emergency?

RAM makes all the pieces to mount things just about any way you want. FWIW, I use a suction cup mount and put it on the canopy just above the pilot window.

http://ram-mount.com/

My "flying" variable glasses are designed to read the panel and for long distance. I tried using the iPad mini on a bracket next to me on my immediate left (on a mount attached to the canopy) but could not read it as it was too close. So now I use my iPad on my lap.

In addition, I would not want to try flying with my head crooked to the left for more than a few moments at a time.

Thanks,
Marc

I made a video demo of FF's synthetic vision using MSFS X just to try it out (it works great, btw). Figured it'd be useful to see the features and what it can do.

http://youtu.be/HgVQbzEETqI

I flew with it in the plane yesterday attached to a Stratus II and it worked equally well, as expected, of course. ;) Great for situational awareness but I'm still not sure where I'd want mount the iPad to be able to take full advantage of SV...

I made a video demo of FF's synthetic vision using MSFS X just to try it out (it works great, btw). Figured it'd be useful to see the features and what it can do.

http://youtu.be/HgVQbzEETqI

I flew with it in the plane yesterday attached to a Stratus II and it worked equally well, as expected, of course. ;) Great for situational awareness but I'm still not sure where I'd want mount the iPad to be able to take full advantage of SV...

Nicely done! How did you capture the iPad video?

Nicely done! How did you capture the iPad video?

Thanks! With OS X Yosemite, Quicktime introduced a feature that enables it to natively capture video from the screen from an i-device [running iOS8+ plugged in via a lightning cable]. It works great though I'm 50% on figuring out which source is recording the audio - hence the echo-ey voiceover on this video. :mad2:

Thanks! With OS X Yosemite, Quicktime introduced a feature that enables it to natively capture video from the screen from an i-device [running iOS8+ plugged in via a lightning cable]. It works great though I'm 50% on figuring out which source is recording the audio - hence the echo-ey voiceover on this video. :mad2:

I missed that. Good to know. It was a great look at SV in use, matching my experience flying with it so far.

Back