ForeFlight 6.6 - Synthetic Vision

Marc CYBW

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marc CYBW
The new Foreflight with synthetic vision came out today. Quite impressive - no - BLOODY IMPRESSIVE!!

But, to use it in my DA40 you need to mount the iPad in landscape mode and exactly parallel to the G1000 displays. That would of course block the screens. But if the screens went dead in IMC (god forbid) it would be a lifesaver.Any suggestions on how to rig up a bracket that would be used only in an emergency?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all,
Marc

The new Foreflight with synthetic vision came out today. Quite impressive - no - BLOODY IMPRESSIVE!!

But, to use it in my DA40 you need to mount the iPad in landscape mode and exactly parallel to the G1000 displays. That would of course block the screens. But if the screens went dead in IMC (god forbid) it would be a lifesaver.Any suggestions on how to rig up a bracket that would be used only in an emergency?

Marc

Be a lot better off to buy a Stratus 2 and mount that in a fixed location.

Has anyone ever compared one of these ipad navigation apps with synthetic vision to the instruments in the airplane? I am curious how accurate they are.

Has anyone ever compared one of these ipad navigation apps with synthetic vision to the instruments in the airplane? I am curious how accurate they are.

Just as accurate provided you have a good source like the Stratus 2. Keep in mind that the speed is GPS ground speed. There is no way for it to determine heading, instead it is showing you course.

Also altitude is GPS altitude not pressure altitude.

I flew with the Stratus 2 for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I found a quiet moment during the flight to try a couple of subtle roll and pitch changes. It correlated instantly and accurately to the screen. I worked out pretty quickly that the heading, speed and altitude are all GPS derived and different from what you'd normally have on normal glass display. As long as you're aware of those limitations, you're good.

What Jesse said; but just to be clear, "synthetic vision" is intended to give you a view of terrain, obstacles and airports/runways in your flight path--that's not something that "instruments in the airplane" typically depict, unless you're flying a Garmine G-series or Aspen Evolution with SVT, or one of the many good Experimental options.

See http://foreflight.com/sv/ for pictures and video.

Marc

Marc, SV in ForeFlight works in both landscape & portrait, in either full or "split" screen.

Or is the Landscape requirement for a space constraint, or some other reason?

- Josh

I have two attitude indicators (vacuum + electric) and the Stratus 2 VERY accurately tracks both. In fact, I can't really tell any difference, other than the obvious GPS based speed and altitude.

Downloaded synthetic vision (SV) today on the iPad. Will play with it tomorrow while shooting a couple of approaches. However, does not look like SV is available for the iPhone? At least I did not see it on the iPhone after I downloaded Foreflight 6.6. I was hoping to use SV in full screen mode in the iPhone 6. If anyone figures it out please post something here.

The App Store says that version 6.6 also has MOS weather forecast products, but I can't find them. Where should I look?

The App Store says that version 6.6 also has MOS weather forecast products, but I can't find them. Where should I look?

On the iPhone it's under the airport info, then Forecast and has a toggle on the top labeled MOS.

Have you tried the Stratus app?

No terrain, but it has a depiction of a PFD.

Yes. I have it on my iPhone 6. I was hoping they would add synthetic vision to that app. It would seem the logical thing to do. I have an iPad mini mounted on the yoke. At night and specially in IMC I need the mini to display the approach plate in full page mode. I was hoping to use the iPhone stratus app to display synthetic vision.

See the blog for more details. It looks like it should appear on the airport screen where a TAF would appear for an airport that doesn't have its own reporting. I'm downloading the update now.

Ok, thanks. So MOS forecasts are on the airport pages. I was looking in the maps and imagery pages where other weather products are found.

I found it is a bit tricky to add SV by buying the subscription.

At first I tried to find a way to do this within FF itself, but I didn't find it. No way to give FF money through its own app?

So then I used the Google app on the iPad to google ForeFlight and subscription, and I found a web page I could log into. After stumbling around there briefly, I found that one can modify my subscription by adding SV. The page seemed to offer letting me do this by diminishing the remaining duration of my subscription. I clicked something to proceed but there seems to be a bug there, that just sends me back to a page I viewed earlier that tells me which subscription I have, and this was not updated to include my selection of the new SV. To confirm the transaction, I had to check my email app.

Last edited:
The MOS forecast is a nice addition.

But if the screens went dead in IMC (god forbid)
Both screens going dead while your are in IMC?
Frankly I don't think of such eventualities which have astronomically low probability, for this reason I wouldn't be mounting such Ipad anywhere, perhaps keep it where it belongs - on next seat or my passenger's lap.

Is MOS making a projection of conditions based on the TAF or is it averaging the METARS? How's it deriving it's info?

Is MOS making a projection of conditions based on the TAF or is it averaging the METARS? How's it deriving it's info?

You can read about it here

From the FF blog linked above:

MOS stands for Model Output Statistics. As the name suggests, MOS is derived from the output of weather prediction models developed and run by research meteorologists at NOAA. The use of MOS has actually been around for decades, but has only recently been introduced for aviation use.

MOS transforms the model data into weather elements that the model does not directly forecast. This includes sensible weather elements basic to aviation such as sky cover, ceiling height, visibility, wind speed and direction, the probability of precipitation, and the precipitation type.
MOS is such a great tool that it’s used by local NWS forecasters all over the US to create more accurate local forecasts for specific towns or cities. These forecasters also rely on MOS as one form of guidance to construct and amend a TAF. While TAFs provide the official forecast for 635 airports throughout the US and its territories, MOS provides weather guidance for over 1800 airports including some military air bases.
MOS is especially accurate in the first 6 hours and, since it is location specific, will usually provide you with more detailed guidance than using the area forecast (FA) alone. One thing to note, however, is that MOS should never be used for legal requirements such as determining an alternate on an IFR flight plan (more on that below).
Another distinct benefit to pilots is that MOS is updated hourly. You’ll get a refreshed forecast at an airport that will tend to track better with the actual weather than with the area forecast. Moreover, MOS is highly tailored for each airport. So if the airport is in a valley or near an ocean or next to a river, MOS is aware of the nearby terrain features and local effects of the weather for that airport.

The MOS feature seems like a great thing, to fill in the gaps between terminals with TAFS.

I've enjoyed using the usairnet site, which portrays its GFS MOS data as a timeline, like this one for my local drome.

I'm guessing that the Foreflight version is at least partly the same data as in usairnet, but presented in a compact TAF-like text format.

I found it is a bit tricky to add SV by buying the subscription.

At first I tried to find a way to do this within FF itself, but I didn't find it. No way to give FF money through its own app?

So then I used the Google app on the iPad to google ForeFlight and subscription, and I found a web page I could log into. After stumbling around there briefly, I found that one can modify my subscription by adding SV. The page seemed to offer letting me do this by diminishing the remaining duration of my subscription. I clicked something to proceed but there seems to be a bug there, that just sends me back to a page I viewed earlier that tells me which subscription I have, and this was not updated to include my selection of the new SV. To confirm the transaction, I had to check my email app.

I also have not been able to upgrade. Couldn't do it from inside the app itself, so logged onto ForeFlights's account page. From there, it thinks I have "2 pilots" associated with my account, and wanted to charge me $350 ($175 x 2) for the feature. Opened a support ticket.

Downloading now with an IFR flight tomorrow...looking forward to seeing it in action.

Got it yesterday. Cannot wait to fly with it.

Got it yesterday. Cannot wait to fly with it.

I put about six hours worth of XC and half a dozen approaches on it yesterday with one of my instrument students. I'm very impressed. It's buttery smooth on my iPad Air and the graphics are excellent. (See attached.) As you descend the terrain goes from green to yellow to red. The "safe" areas around the airport seem to always be green. I like the approach plate overlaid on the enroute chart with SV beside it. It would be an excellent standby system if everything else went TU.

Downside: It seems to really burn through the battery....more than twice as fast as I normally see running FF standalone (remembering that I'm adding WiFi for the Stratus II plus the SV over my previous "normal" configuration.) But I've tested the Stratus II before and didn't have this much impact on battery.

One other nit to be picked....the airport tags ahead of you are often obscured by the attitude indicator bar. I've suggested they move that behind those tags since it wouldn't impact it's visibility but would keep the airport tags visible.

Attachments

• 20141230_163402000_iOS.png
    20141230_163402000_iOS.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
  • 20141230_163730000_iOS.png
    20141230_163730000_iOS.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • 20141230_163843000_iOS.png
    20141230_163843000_iOS.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • 20141230_163911000_iOS.png
    20141230_163911000_iOS.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • 20141230_163927000_iOS.png
    20141230_163927000_iOS.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • 20141230_163930000_iOS.png
    20141230_163930000_iOS.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • 20141230_163940000_iOS.png
    20141230_163940000_iOS.png
    1 MB · Views: 78
I just upgraded as well and cant wait to give it a go.

I'll mention it again folks...... If you want the SV now, you have to renew your entire subscription. You can't just pay the $25.

My subscription was bought May 15' 2014 and I was credited $55 towards my renewal. So you get pro rated for your current subscription and have that subtracted from the $175 for Pro plus SV.

Also, you cannot do it in-app. You have to go through the Foreflight webpage.

I just upgraded as well and cant wait to give it a go.

I'll mention it again folks...... If you want the SV now, you have to renew your entire subscription. You can't just pay the $25.

My subscription was bought May 15' 2014 and I was credited $55 towards my renewal. So you get pro rated for your current subscription and have that subtracted from the $175 for Pro plus SV.

Also, you cannot do it in-app. You have to go through the Foreflight webpage.

Which is one of the dumbest things I've seen FF do.

I'll wait.

Is there a way to make the SV display on the full screen instead of half?

Yes. See attached (though just grabbed a screen shot here at home not hooked to Stratus.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 82
Oh, that is nice.

If you had two iPads, one on each knee for example, you could make one like a full screen PFD with SV, and the other like the moving map on an MFD.

Can a flight be recorded with SV visible?

Last edited:
Which is one of the dumbest things I've seen FF do.

I'll wait.

If they let you purchase in the app, then it becomes an "in-app purchase" and they owe Apple 30% or whatever it is.

And I get the renewing the subscription thing. It actually ends up being cheaper, because the add on to your subscription gets prorated correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they let you purchase in the app, then it becomes an "in-app purchase" and they owe Apple 30% or whatever it is.

And I get the renewing the subscription thing. It actually ends up being cheaper, because the add on to your subscription gets prorated correctly.

Anyone that cares about SV has committed to FF by purchasing the Stratus that makes it all work. Extending your subscription to take advantage of it is a non-issue or them. In my case they honored my NAFI discount so it cost me $56 to extend my subscription to the end of 2015. I think I had renewed back in August.

Back