Foreflight “CallSigns”

Unless there's something I don't understand here, you'd still be broadcasting your ICAO identifier and you could still be tracked by someone willing to put in the extra effort.

More likely this is going to lead to a lot of vanity call signs. Are duplicates allowed? Get ready to hear a lot of people calling up as "Maverick".

Unless there's something I don't understand here, you'd still be broadcasting your ICAO identifier and you could still be tracked by someone willing to put in the extra effort.

More likely this is going to lead to a lot of vanity call signs. Are duplicates allowed? Get ready to hear a lot of people calling up as "Maverick".
"Fox 2, inbound"

It's just a number they assign you with foreflight in front.

Hey… I don’t want none of you jokers takin “Tools”.

“Tools” survived some mighty stupid, uh, ‘events’ and I ain’t givin her up easily. Just sayin.

Oh, gotta have a “FF”? Easy, I’m takin “ustratration”, ala The Tubes, “Non Stop Erotic Caberet”.

Benefit?
Pro/Con?

In my case, I use it mainly to have PDC available at airports which support it. I don’t care about any privacy issues.

If you use this in conjunction with the FAA PIA program, it’s supposed to enhance privacy.

If you use this in conjunction with the FAA PIA program, it’s supposed to enhance privacy.
With PIA, you change not only the flight ID, but the underlying ADS-B N-Number and hex code. The program requires a third-party callsign, which Foreflight provides. The result is two extra layers.

Aircraft N-Number: N1234A
PIA N-Number: N9876Z
Flight ID: FF567

The real N-Number is not broadcast. it all works fine for the FAA and ATC. The weird part is position reports at a nontowered airport. Using your N-Number becomes useless.

We think of it in terms of celebrities but I suspect it’s used by companies trying to avoid intellectual property theft and interference with advantageous relationships.

And, needless to say, it’s not foolproof.

Last edited:
With PIA, you change not only the flight ID, but the underlying ADS-B N-Number and hex code. The program requires a third-party callsign, which Foreflight provides. The result is two extra layers.

Aircraft N-Number: N1234A
PIA N-Number: N9876Z
Flight ID: FF567

it all works fine for ATC. The weird part is position reports at a nontowered airport. Using your N-Number becomes useless.
Question sir, why u got this rainbow map color-coded signature?

Question sir, why u got this rainbow map color-coded signature?
Like most with a map in their signature, the colored in areas are places I’ve landed. Some providers do single colors, other multiple. The colors used have no special meanings.Just a way to separate the states/provinces/countries.

Like most with a map in their signature, the colored in areas are places I’ve landed. Some providers do single colors, other multiple. The colors used have no special meanings.Just a way to separate the states/provinces/countries.
Oh I see, good memory aid.

I don’t see this as changing radio ID, only the ID that is broadcast on ADS-B out. There’s some FCC regs that apply to getting special use callsigns for radio traffic.

I don’t see this as changing radio ID, only the ID that is broadcast on ADS-B out. There’s some FCC regs that apply to getting special use callsigns for radio traffic.
If you file a flight plan using a call sign, that call sign telephony must be used in radio communications and it must be loaded into a mode S transponder and ADS-B Out system as the Flight ID

If you file a flight plan using a call sign, that call sign telephony must be used in radio communications and it must be loaded into a mode S transponder and ADS-B Out system as the Flight ID
Correct but this is different than applying for a special use or local callsign with the FAA. This isn’t “Maverick 11” it’s “Fore Flight 1234.”

Correct but this is different than applying for a special use or local callsign with the FAA. This isn’t “Maverick 11” it’s “Fore Flight 1234.”
Hmm this will be awesome hearing Twr...Foreflight inbound

Avgeek

this is different than applying for a special use or local callsign with the FAA.

You mean like the official ones in FAA Order JO 7340.2M, Section 1. Aircraft Company/Telephony/Three−Letter Designator Encode?

1708195018099.png

I wish I could also see the aircraft type, when I see traffic on Foreflight. It would help to know whether I’m looking for a Cirrus or a King Air. FF shows the traffic’s groundspeed, but near an airport that doesn’t vary so much.

I wish I could also see the aircraft type, when I see traffic on Foreflight. It would help to know whether I’m looking for a Cirrus or a King Air. FF shows the traffic’s groundspeed, but near an airport that doesn’t vary so much.
I agree it's should be good if we able to see type...FF engineer's are you watching this thread?

You can on the flightradar24 app.

098d468f3730198574af1910df7ba6bc.jpg
6adac4249f34c2e089c6d4098ed24cc4.jpg

Last edited:
With the AR on, you turn the I pad to the direction you want to look and it will show you other planes in the air around you. Not flying now but next time I do I'll take a couple pictures. Point it up above the horizon it will show planes above you, keep it level and it will show planes at your level.

I dunno. Foreflight doesn't have the same ring as "dot com."

If it is an uncontrolled airport, the traffic should be saying what their type is. I.e. "Podunk traffic, Foreflight 1234 is a King Air 200 on a left base for 35, Podunk. If it is controlled, ATC will tell you the type.

Back