Fore flight on airliner

To avoid confusion... Airplane mode turns off all transmitters but then they can be turn back on individually.

Not all airlines allow inflight use of GPS receivers. Check your airline's inflight magazine or website for their policy.

Correct. And once they are turned on again you are no longer in airplane mode in any meaningful sense.

Someone else mentioned airplane mode and GPS being separate on his android device. Android is a big eco system with many different devices, for some that's true. Others are like Apple in having the GPS and cellular circuits on the same board and if you're in airplane mode you cannot turn on the GPS received built into that board independently of the cellular function.

Yet another person mentioned that he didn't have to go into airplane mode as he didn't have a data plan. Be aware that even if you don't have an active subscription for your device, it's probably still trying to communicate. This is what causes those interruptions when you put your mobile phone near the speaker phone at work or your ANR headset in your plane. Certainly it's extraordinarily unlikely to cause problems, but you are still in the mix. I had to turn off three different phones in my most recent flight before I got the one that was causing the clicking in my headset.

If I want to use an aviation designed Blue Tooth product to ground on an airliner, I will do so with absolutely no sense of guilt.

Correct. And once they are turned on again you are no longer in airplane mode in any meaningful sense.
Sure it is. Everything that you haven't turned back on is still off. Much easier than going into settings and turning off voice, cellular data, GPS, and Bluetooth separately.

On United, for example, the wifi service is offered from gate-to-gate. To use it you have to put the device in airplane mode, to turn off the phone, data, etc., then turn the wifi back on to access the airplane's network.

I usually pull it up for takeoff and landing, but like a couple others have referenced I often lose GPS signal in the en route phase of flight for whatever reason. And I'm always in a window seat. That's with an ipad with built-in GPS. In fact I almost made a thread last week to ask why that is. If I can get a good lock on the ground, why lose it at 5000-30000'? Or is it more about the speed?

Where is the link for step 2?

You'll have to have both the FlightAware App and the ForeFlight App on the same iPad. If you do, in the FlightAware app you should see this button.

Attachments

• FlightAware.jpg
    FlightAware.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 22
Nope. Last month from DEN to MDW I was sitting with 2 corporate pilots and all 3 of us had our iPads out, comparing software. Company provides Jepp, I had FF. Most interesting, they didn't put them away or turn them off when the "turn off all electronics" announcement was made prior to landing.

Southwest You don't have to turn off all electronics anymore. Just Laptops and place Cell devices in Airplane mode. Ipads ok to leave on.

You'll have to have both the FlightAware App and the ForeFlight App on the same iPad. If you do, in the FlightAware app you should see this button.

Sweet. Thanks! Much better than typing in a whole route.

Back