Forced Landing - KPNC

SoonerAviator

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
SoonerAviator
Glad the pilot was uninjured. Just the facts for a change.

So no one would give him a ride?

"The pilot walked away from the emergency landing uninjured, according to News 9 pilot Jim Gardener. No word yet on what caused the plane to have to land in the field."

Sound like the news helo pilot clued the reporter in.

The airplane is registered to a pipeline patrol company in Ottawa, KS. Word around the airport is that he was doing a pipeline patrol at 500’ AGL and had a magneto failure.

Oh, and he actually landed near Cushing Airport (KCUH), not Ponca City (KPNC).

The airplane is registered to a pipeline patrol company in Ottawa, KS. Word around the airport is that he was doing a pipeline patrol at 500’ AGL and had a magneto failure.

Oh, and he actually landed near Cushing Airport (KCUH), not Ponca City (KPNC).

Yeah, the flight originated out of KPNC, so that’s the airport I referenced. The fact that he landed “near” Cushing’s airport seemed like a bit of useless information unless he was trying to get there and couldn’t.

Yeah, the flight originated out of KPNC, so that’s the airport I referenced. The fact that he landed “near” Cushing’s airport seemed like a bit of useless information unless he was trying to get there and couldn’t.

Sorry, wasn’t trying to be a jerk. Since the thread title said “Forced Landing - KPNC” and the news article title said “...Forced Landing In Field Near Cushing Airport” I thought it might create some confusion on where they were actually forced down at.

Ever since my forced landing everyone has been more interested in where I landed than where I departed from or where I was headed to so I’m not sure I’d agree that where he landed is useless information :) I do agree though that it was a well-written article.

Hopefully, their Cardinal won’t be stranded in Cushing for as long as mine has been :)

"He was able to set the plane down in a plowed field without incident."
From the pictures and videos, that sure looks like a rough plowed field. How he did not bury the nosewheel and flip the bird over is beyond me. Had I attempted a landing in that rough field, I would have probably left the gear handle in the UP position. (he did not have that choice)
Glad this one turned out good!!! :thumbsup:

I happened to be with the DPE that gave the pilot his ride. We were at Oshkosh and he called the pilot as soon as he heard about. The pilot is relatively low time and took the job with the pipeline company to build hours. My friend said he was pretty shook up yet when he talked to him. He has only worked at the flying job for a few weeks. The story related to me was that he was at 500 feet and just completed a run near the Cushing tank farm when the engine quit. With just seconds to react that was the only field he could set up for. Lots of trees in the area and not close enough to reach the Cushing airport. The only damage to the plane was the wheel pants. They had not yet determined the cause of the engine failure at that time. My friend thought it sounded like he did an impressive job getting it on the ground.

They had not yet determined the cause of the engine failure at that time. My friend thought it sounded like he did an impressive job getting it on the ground.

I saw the airplane in the hanger in Cushing when I was out there working on mine. The Bendix dual magneto mount worked loose and the magneto fell out. If you own an airplane with the single drive Bendix dual mag (The engine model number usually ends with “D”) you want to be very familiar with FAA SAIB NE-08-26R2 and Lycoming Service Instruction 1508C that deal with this issue.

I hope the pilot is able to shake off this incident and doesn’t let it haunt him. I heard that it was his first solo patrol since starting with the company. I agree he did a fantastic job with literally just seconds to react.

Back