For the FL pilots

When I live lived in Ft Walton Beach, I boarded up the windows, grab all the family pics and videos (mama's orders), and got in the slow line northbound. Seems like what took 3 hours normally to Montgomery AL took something like 6-7 hours due to everyone evacuating the Gulf coast. Hotels were sold out all the way to Birmingham (around 180-190 miles) but in-laws lived in Montgomery so I was covered.

I stocked up on scotch, vodka and water. Made sure I have plenty of batteries for flash lights and fans and gas in the car and gas for the generator.
I'll pick up all the lawn ornaments, outside potted plants and pool supplies and move them to the garage when the winds pick up.

The hangar door has four cane-bolts to secure them. I usually only drop one of them, but tomorrow I will drop the other 3.

I made sure my insurance is current.

But this one could turn out to be bad, in which case, I'll joint the massive traffic jam north. By time I decide to evacuate, it will be too late to fly.

Get some good bourbon ,put the airplane in the hangar,hunker down.

I know what the Air Force does. They'll send all their planes a lot further inland.

We lived pretty close to the alabama border in a pretty high area, house itself is on a hill. That eliminated a lot of potential flooding issues, however crazier things have happened. Otherwise, we have precut plywood sheets to cover the windows and clips to hold them in so we put those up. Test run the generator that plugs straight into the house, always keep 50+ gallons of gas on hand year round. Several cases of bottled water and plenty of ice packs in the freezers. When I was a kid we only had a problem during hurricane Ivan. Lost power for about a week, but no severe flooding. It was basically like camping. Used to make coffee on our BBQ and then cook dinner on it too.

Prepare for the worst. Stock up on booze..

Party time! Many folks stay in their condos and have hurricane parties. Many of those people have perished also, or required being rescued after being instructed to evacuate.

Depends on the strength of the hurricane and where is making landfall.

Cat 1 or 2 we just party at my house. I'm inland and above sea level far enough that flooding is not a concern. Winds aren't too much higher than the gusts in a bad thunderstorm.

Cat 3, 4, or 5 then I'm getting the f out of town. Nothing I can do at the house and I have insurance.

If I were on the coast then even a tropical storm can be devastating with flooding. I would make my decision based entirely around how high above sea level I was. My mother's house is 8 feet above sea level so she comes to my house for any named storm if it's predicted to have a storm surge greater than 5 feet.

Here's a link to a great website that has maps of expected flood levels based on storm surges:
http://www.floridadisaster.org/publicmapping/

relocated the Arrow from Merrit Island yesterday, getting ready to head a couple hours north to family in Daytona

Well, in no particular order,

- Buy gas for the generators and top off the vehicles
- Stock up on ammo, 9mm and 38sp
- Stock up on foods that don't require cooking
- Fill water jugs
- Lots of batteries
- Buy ammo, 7.62mm
- Move everything loose outdoors into the shop or garage
- Turn the horses out into the pasture
- Move the vehicles away from trees and each other
- Stock up on ammo, .223
- Make sure battery power is charged up for the ham radio
- Board up windows if it looks like a direct strike is likely
- Charcoal for the grill
- Draw down the swimming pool
- Buy ammo, 12ga, buck & slugs
- Charge cell phones
- Photograph property, especially roof and pool screen (helpful for insurance claims)​

If I forget anything essential I can usually get it from the neighbors, assuming I have enough ammo.

dont forget to freeze a bunch of ice in case you lose power and need to try and salvage some cold goods

"relocated the Arrow from Merrit Island yesterday, getting ready to head a couple hours north to family in Daytona"

This may be the wrong move !

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS

You all should be aware of hurricane preparations, but in case you need a refresher course: We're in the peak of the hurricane season. Any minute now, you're going to turn on the TV and see a weather person pointing to some radar blob out in the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico and making two basic meteorological points:

(1) There is no need to panic.
(2) We could all be killed.

Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Florida. If you're new to the State, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by "another big one."

Based on insurance industry experiences from some of us Florida "old timers," we recommend that you follow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:

STEP 1: Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.
STEP 2: Put these supplies into your car.
STEP 3: Drive to Nebraska as fast as you can and remain there until Halloween.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in Florida. We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE

If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built; and
(2) It is located in Wisconsin

Unfortunately, if your home is located in Florida, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance because then they might be required to pay YOU money; and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place. So you'll have to scrounge around for an insurance company who will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss.

STORM SHUTTERS

Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all the doors. There are several types of shutters, with advantages and disadvantages:

Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap.

Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well, once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December.

Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them.

Hurricane-proof windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection. They look like ordinary windows but can withstand hurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.

HURRICANE PROOFING YOUR HOME

As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects such as barbecue grills, plants, patio furniture, visiting relatives, annoying neighbors, etc. You should, as a precaution, throw these items into your swimming pool (if you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built immediately). Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles or throw them into the pool anyway.

EVACUATION ROUTE

If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license. If it says "Florida" at the top, you live in a low-lying area.) The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely. This is a good time to observe various gestures from other drivers.

HURRICANE SUPPLIES

If you don't evacuate, you will need a whole mess of supplies. Do not buy them now! Florida tradition requires that you must wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with strangers over who gets the last can of Spam. In addition to food and water, you will need the following supplies:

30 flashlights and at least $167 worth of batteries that - when the power goes off - end up being the wrong size for all your new flashlights.

Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for, but it's traditional so GET some!)

A big knife that you can strap to your leg. (This will be mostly useless in a hurricane, but it looks rustic Rambo and cool.)

A large quantity of raw chicken to placate the alligators.

You will need $35,000 in gold or diamonds so that - after the hurricane passes - you can buy a generator from a man with no teeth and extension cords from a guy who doesn't speak English.

Of course, these are just very basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television if you have a generator that works. Keep the TV on 24/7 at a very loud volume so your neighbors know you have a generator that works. Be sure to watch the reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean as they tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.

Good luck, and remember: It's great living in Paradise!

Spent 30 years in S FL, most as an aircraft owner.

Motto? "If in doubt, get the hell out!"

Saw way too many damaged and totaled planes over the years, from Andrew to Charlie and so many more.

Insurance may help with relocation, and it's not like most of us need much of an excuse to go flying.

looks like people are taking this one seriously, I have never seen the ramp here at FMY so full.

bob

Yea I'm hoping the plane I rent doesn't get damaged and screw up my flight schedule lol.

Yea, in Daytona only to have the forecast change to hit Daytona... Oh well...
The forecast is already to hit Daytona as a class-4. Then it looks like it is going to swing around clockwise and hit us again.

I should be headed out, but it looks like we are going to try to ride it out here. I certainly wouldn't come here on purpose.

Meh... I've had the fortune of riding out Erin, Opal, Dennis, Ivan and Katrina... I won't worry till the roof comes off...

I found out when Floyd hit my house in 99 that St. Louis is a great place to be. Watched it all on CNN, warm and dry, drinking cold beer in the evenings under clear blue skies.

I was in Baton Rouge for Katrina and Rita. Wasn't yet an aircraft owner but learned a lot about hurricane preparedness. My wife and I were in line at the grocery store loaded down with water, batteries, etc. Looking at the other carts in line it was obvious we did not get the memo that massive quantities of alcohol were on the necessity list.

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS...

...Good luck, and remember: It's great living in Paradise!

Thank you so much for posting that. That really was LOL for me. It is a bit of an eye opener for my wife and I. We have reservations all over the state to do a tour in a month from now. The places we are going is exactly where this hurricane is going. The purpose of the trip is a deeper fact finding tour to our possible retirement there in nine years from now. I hope there is something left to look at. Good thing my wife always gets trip insurance.

We are actually hoping to do a bi coastal thing for retirement. Spend the legal majority of the year in Florida for tax reasons and the rest where we are now in California. This tells me, don't keep anything I really, really care about, or can't be replaced in Florida. The hurricane insurance is something we really will have to look into as well how to make a home really ready to take on the winds and the floods in that area. We really like it warm and have no love for winter, so we are mostly looking to the Keys, but our trip next month will take us all the way up to St. Augustine.

The forecast is already to hit Daytona as a class-4. Then it looks like it is going to swing around clockwise and hit us again.

I should be headed out, but it looks like we are going to try to ride it out here. I certainly wouldn't come here on purpose.

I saw the latest forecast and thought about my "old stomping grounds" in Ormond Beach. Stay safe!

Meh... I've had the fortune of riding out Erin, Opal, Dennis, Ivan and Katrina... I won't worry till the roof comes off...

We lived in S Broward when Andrew hit, well south of us.

A few days later made it down to ground zero - the devastation was heartbreaking.

Matthew is not Andrew, but major means major.

Mental exercise: imagine what a 50 mph wind feels like. Then remember that a 150 mph wind is NOT 3 times stronger - it's 9 times stronger.

If that elicits a "meh" from you, you're made of sterner stuff than I. Or something.

Anyway, the foothills of the Appalachians are beautiful in the fall. Just sayin'!

Last edited:
Not braver than the average Joe just took the necessary precautions and it is what it is.

Opal was a Cat 5 by the way and Ivan was a very strong 4, strong enough to remove the I-10 bridge from Pensacola Bay and almost removed Navarre Beach from existence.

If there is any Meh in me it's because I have no material things to lose, my house was completely emptied by burglars while I was on deployment and the ex wife took the rest.

So, prepared for the worst and hoping for the best :)

Thank you so much for posting that. That really was LOL for me. It is a bit of an eye opener for my wife and I. We have reservations all over the state to do a tour in a month from now. The places we are going is exactly where this hurricane is going. The purpose of the trip is a deeper fact finding tour to our possible retirement there in nine years from now. I hope there is something left to look at. Good thing my wife always gets trip insurance.

We are actually hoping to do a bi coastal thing for retirement. Spend the legal majority of the year in Florida for tax reasons and the rest where we are now in California. This tells me, don't keep anything I really, really care about, or can't be replaced in Florida. The hurricane insurance is something we really will have to look into as well how to make a home really ready to take on the winds and the floods in that area. We really like it warm and have no love for winter, so we are mostly looking to the Keys, but our trip next month will take us all the way up to St. Augustine.

Be sure to include the Gulf Coast in your tour. Not as busy/crowded as the east coast. (With the exception of the Sarasota to Tampa area.) Good deals on homes. Great flying and sailing weather. We moved from upstate NY to Punta Gorda and we're loving it. Ten minutes to the airport and the sailboat in the canal in our backyard. Don't miss the snow and cold at all.

Not braver than the average Joe just took the necessary precautions and it is what it is.

Opal was a Cat 5 by the way and Ivan was a very strong 4, strong enough to remove the I-10 bridge from Pensacola Bay and almost removed Navarre Beach from existence.

If there is any Meh in me it's because I have no material things to lose, my house was completely emptied by burglars while I was on deployment and the ex wife took the rest.

So, prepared for the worst and hoping for the best :)

Gotta love ex's. I came home from work one day to a mostly empty house and no kid.. Still fighting to get him back

Well, in no particular order,

- Buy gas for the generators and top off the vehicles
- Stock up on ammo, 9mm and 38sp
- Stock up on foods that don't require cooking
- Fill water jugs
- Lots of batteries
- Buy ammo, 7.62mm
- Move everything loose outdoors into the shop or garage
- Turn the horses out into the pasture
- Move the vehicles away from trees and each other
- Stock up on ammo, .223
- Make sure battery power is charged up for the ham radio
- Board up windows if it looks like a direct strike is likely
- Charcoal for the grill
- Draw down the swimming pool
- Buy ammo, 12ga, buck & slugs
- Charge cell phones
- Photograph property, especially roof and pool screen (helpful for insurance claims)​

If I forget anything essential I can usually get it from the neighbors, assuming I have enough ammo.

Don't forget bacon! Must have bacon... :):)

Those jump-start LiPo battery packs with USB ports are great for charging cell phones. I guess if you have easy access to a garaged car, you could use its battery too.

I hope that suckah takes a hard right out to sea.

Be sure to include the Gulf Coast in your tour. Not as busy/crowded as the east coast. (With the exception of the Sarasota to Tampa area.) Good deals on homes. Great flying and sailing weather. We moved from upstate NY to Punta Gorda and we're loving it. Ten minutes to the airport and the sailboat in the canal in our backyard. Don't miss the snow and cold at all.

Yeah, we did the gulf coast on an earlier trip. We went from the Keys up to Tampa, Clearwater area.

Considered using the insurance money to get the plane out, but I'm in Chicago, headset and hangar keys are in Ft Lauderdale and the plane is by Daytona

...neighbors may be packing a Kalashnikov. :eek:

I prefer my SKS to the AKs anyway; SKS has a bayonet and a grenade launcher. :)

Actually, one of the neighbors is out of town so we're looking after their house as well as ours. We're as prepped as possible. Now it's just a waiting game.

Ordinarily I'd be on the hurricane net with the ham rig by now, but my base station took a lightning hit and wiped out my power supply and transceiver. The radio is still in the shop. All I have at the moment is a 2m/70cm handheld.

In 2004 we caught Charley, Francis, and Jeanne, each 3 weeks apart. The tracks of the three storms intersected about 12 miles from my house, and the eye of Charley went directly over us. I live inland on high ground (by Florida standards) but we still seem to get a rough ride.

I live inland on high ground (by Florida standards) but we still seem to get a rough ride.

I think that's because as far as I can tell, Florida doesn't have any high ground. Winds blowing over seas are only slightly slowed by 30' trees and cooler surface temperatures.

I think that's because as far as I can tell, Florida doesn't have any high ground. Winds blowing over seas are only slightly slowed by 30' trees and cooler surface temperatures.

Well, we're up about 200'. We're only a few miles from the highest point on the peninsula. Not much help with wind, but no worries about flooding.

Florida has "High Ground." They're called landfills.

Back