For non-certificated aircraft unfortunately

MikeS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MikeS
Poor choice of titles. I realized later that LSA's are certificated aircraft, whether S-LSA's or E-LSA's. So, I guess one can't put one in an LSA - but I know little on this subject. There may be a way.

Meanwhile, it's certainly usable on all the Experimentals out there.

I recommend you turn the sound off for much of this video - some people think backing things with some musical racket somehow enhances things. Also, the speaker, towards the end of the video, admits that at the end of his flights he "sees trees" and often "gets lost". It was painful to listen so I'd suggest you skip generously until you get to the fellow with the Hummel.

Parts of it are also somewhat tedious for this fast-moving crowd on POA - at least I found it so. The real interest comes at the end when he shows the components. This use of high-torque servos designed for (BIG) model airplanes and UAS's (I think) tabs which do not necessarily connect to flight controls (you can put them where you want) make this what you want of it. Just a wing leveler and altitude pitch hold (poor man's altitude hold) is less than $200. For the full Monte - navigator-driven approaches, etc. the price climbs dramatically . . . well into the hundreds. I think as much as $600!

TruTrak was working on this same concept and actually got several out the door before the sale to BK. Also a factor that killed it, probably THE factor that killed it, was TT deciding to only sell the autopilot with some "kit" designed for each separate aircraft design. The concept itself was brilliant but whoever was calling for the "kit" either wanted to kill the project or would just as well be working for John Deere. They did get a "kit" developed for the RV-4 I think so there's perhaps a few of those flying around with TruTrak's low cost autopilot that died on the vine.

But . . . someone has apparently picked the idea up and that's what you see below. I've no doubt this will really evolve quickly - first thing probably being the screen. It doesn't look very sunlight readable, may or may not have a rheostat for night flying, doesn't look quite as brilliant as it should. Hopefully it's a plug-/on screen, replaceable with something really nice. I'm sure he'll soon find a better screen and use it as an excuse to push the price up another $5. Being open source and the low cost of electronics, anything can be made of these devices and it's a great freedom to be able to do what one wants with ones own airplane.

Company Website:
https://www.xflighttech.com/

Last edited:
TruTrak was working on this same concept and actually got several out the door before the sale to BK. Also a factor that killed it, probably THE factor that killed it, was TT deciding to only sell the autopilot with some kind of "kit" designed for each separate design.

I've looked at this system but not quite ready to go that way. I do like the concept of the autopilot using the trim tabs. The TruTrak system was a grand idea that moved the ball forward and I hated that it didn't get to full fruition. Their xCruze 100 is $2100 for experimental aircraft but it's really a great system. Can I spend Covid money on a TruTrak? LOL ...

I realized later that LSA's are certificated aircraft
FYI: while all aircraft are certified in one way or another, in the case of an S-LSA it does not have a Type Certificate. Key word. Rather it falls under a consensus standard. Any major alteration would need the "approval" from the S-LSA manufacturer vs from the FAA. So it can be possible to install this system on a S-LSA and I believe a E-LSA as well. And worth noting, there is no category of "experimental" parts. You can install any part on any aircraft with the proper documentation regardless what the vendor calls it.

To make any modification to a S-LSA you need manufacturer approval. An E-LSA is experimental, so you can modify or add anything you like, as long as the modifications don't take it out of the LSA category.

Good Gawd did anyone else see his A/P installation? Have to love the bungee cord and zip tie installation of the servos. No thank you. So much for standards and practices.

Back