For G1000 users,

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
When you turn on the STBY battery switch, it powers the essential buses and turning on master switch powers electrical bus1, and2.
In systems page, chapter 7 if you look carefully at the electrical system schematic, it does not say anything about GPS1 and GPS2 or GIA.

When I turn on the STBY only, I noticed G1000 was still able to align itself and derive location based on GPS. But I am no sure which battery (STBY or MASTER) powers GPS1 or 2.

John.

The main battery can power everything. The Standby battery only powers the ADC, AHRS, PFD, and GIA1.

Ok so, we have GPS1 and GPS2. When we turn on the avionics, does it turn on gps2?
Where can I find the schematic on this?

Ok so, we have GPS1 and GPS2. When we turn on the avionics, does it turn on gps2?
Where can I find the schematic on this?

Have you been in a G1000 aircraft?

Have you read the POH?

What are you trying to accomplish?

From the Pilot's guide:
Each GIA 63/63W Integrated Avionics Unit (IAU) contains a GPS receiver. Information collected by the
specified receiver (GPS1 for the #1 IAU or GPS2 for the #2 IAU) may be viewed on the AUX - GPS Status
Page.​

From the Pilot's guide:
Each GIA 63/63W Integrated Avionics Unit (IAU) contains a GPS receiver. Information collected by the
specified receiver (GPS1 for the #1 IAU or GPS2 for the #2 IAU) may be viewed on the AUX - GPS Status
Page.​
so,the Master batt willpower GPS1 and avionics GPS2?

To add to MAKG1's post, what document are you referencing? My earlier post assumed you were talking Cessna. Regardless the electrical diagram in any POH will make the power distribution clear. In any event each GIA contains a com radio, a nav radio, and a GPS. The standby batt can only power GIA #1 while the main batt /alt powers both 1&2.

Asking about turning "the" avionics on in a G1000 leads me to believe the OP is several steps beyond his understanding.

Start with the manual. THEN ask questions about it. A message board is an incredibly poor substitution.

Honestly, dude. You'll get much more helpful answers if you give some indication WTH you're trying to do. Getting specs for a sim model on the sly, while pretending to be a pilot is NOT cool.

so,the Master batt willpower GPS1 and avionics GPS2?
Not sure what that means.
The Master must be on to power anything*. After the master is on, you can turn on the Avionics masters (1 & 2), and any other electrical equipment in the plane.
*The only exception is that the Standby will power the 'essential' avionics even if the master is off or main battery has failed.
Have you ever been in a G1000 equipped plane?

Back