For Earth Day

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Let's, for a moment, consider our planet.

599px-The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

Photo from Apollo 17 on December 7, 1972.

600px-NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg

Photo from Apollo 8 on December 24, 1968

And finally...

Pale_Blue_Dot.png

Image from Voyager 1, at a range of approximately 3.8 billion miles, sometime between February 14 and June 6, 1990. We are that tiny blue speck on the right hand brown sunbeam. Carl Sagan had this to say about the image:

Carl Sagan said:
From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.
Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.
It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

And here's a video to remind us exactly how small we are:

What is the most humbling to me is the beautiful sights seen while flying. What amazes me the most is that, prior to the invention of aircraft, I doubt that any creature on this planet was ever able to witness such sights. I made two motivational poster about sights of last weekend's flight.

Enjoy. :)

Attachments

• motivateinstrumentrating.JPG
    motivateinstrumentrating.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 32
  • motivateice.JPG
    motivateice.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 34
Now you're making me feel guilty about my after-work plan to spray the yard with MCPA and dicamba. But I was just going to spot spray...really...

Ted - love the posters. You should hang them in every FBO!!

AFA Earth - it's a resilient little orb, you have to give it that.

Dear Earth, I hope you're enjoying your stupid DAY. Sincerely, The planet formerly known as Pluto.

Ted - love the posters. You should hang them in every FBO!!

Thanks! I was inspired when I saw the views. Think if I offered them in poster form as a fund raiser for Cloud Nine people would buy them?

AFA Earth - it's a resilient little orb, you have to give it that.

Much like airplanes, it's a durable little critter.

What is the most humbling to me is the beautiful sights seen while flying. What amazes me the most is that, prior to the invention of aircraft, I doubt that any creature on this planet was ever able to witness such sights. I made two motivational poster about sights of last weekend's flight.

Love the posters, Ted. I still find myself humbled and awed every time I fly. I can fly over the same expanse of ocean day in and day out and it is never the same.

Both right on.

Back