For Chipotle lovers

Never understood the hype around chipotle. I much prefer Moes or Qdoba. Better yet a madre and padre taco stand.

Never understood the hype around chipotle. I much prefer Moes or Qdoba. Better yet a madre and padre taco stand.

Agreed. We have great hole in the wall places here ten times better than Chipotle.

I'll agree with you about a lot of mom and pop places being better, but Chipotle is hands down better than Moes and Qdoba. I may be biased because the Moes around me is really bad, but even at a normal Moes the quality is no where near Chipotle!

Are Qdobas still around? We used to have them in Chicago, but I think they are gone. I didn't mind them, but we have so many mom and pop as big as your head burrito places, that we don't eat at the chains too often.

That being said, I do like Chipotle. I like their steak, and the smoky flavor of their salsa.

Now that I think about it we used to have Jack in the Boxes in Chicago a long time ago. I guess I am surprised they tried Qdoba here.

I got turned onto Chipotle when the franchise near the airport was giving away free burritos to pilots for a week. Just had to show your pilot certificate.

I got turned onto Chipotle when the franchise near the airport was giving away free burritos to pilots for a week. Just had to show your pilot certificate.

Dang I missed it. Although I assume that was before the Cirrus hit next door.

Chipotle can be healthy if you pick the right ingredients. It also tastes decent too which is hard to find for healthy stuff.

I spent $1,700 eating lunch at Chipotle in 2014. Crazy or what?

Chipotle can be healthy if you pick the right ingredients. It also tastes decent too which is hard to find for healthy stuff.

I assume Chipotle is a chain food place ????

I don't get out to big cities much...:no:

Eating at Chipotle roughly every other day? ...for a whole year? That is just a little bit insane. :yes:

Over rated ,over priced,much prefer mom and pop taquerias.

Mmmmm, burritos!

In the ~80% of the country without mama y papa taquerias, Chipotle is an acceptable substitute. I like the flavor of their carnitas and barbacoa, but wish they had a salsa bar like Moe's.

Either one at lunch makes a long, sleepy afternoon and eliminates the need for supper.

But no thank you, I'll pass on the tofu. It ain't Mexican, Texican or Tex-Mex, it's Oriental, and I didn't care for it when I lived in the Orient.

Eating at Chipotle roughly every other day? ...for a whole year? That is just a little bit insane. :yes:

Yep... I was trying to eat "healthy". My usual was "no rice, black beans, a meat, salsa, and maybe guacamole".

Low carb, low calorie, high protein.... And I didn't mind eating it. I ate there so often, occasionally, they'd throw in a free drink, and sometimes they'd just comp the whole meal since I was a "regular"...

But no thank you, I'll pass on the tofu. It ain't Mexican, Texican or Tex-Mex, it's Oriental, and I didn't care for it when I lived in the Orient.
You might be pleasantly surprised by the sofritas (a few 'committed carnivore' types I know have been). It's not in big, gelatinous chunks as it's sometimes served in Chinese cuisine, and tofu tastes mostly of whatever you cook it in.

Did the Cirrus turn into a sizzling Fahitas ?
Unfortunately, that is not too wide of the mark for the fate of the occupants. Accident was apparently survivable if not for the fire (pilot got himself out, but died a few hours later due to burns).

Yep... I was trying to eat "healthy". My usual was "no rice, black beans, a meat, salsa, and maybe guacamole".

Low carb, low calorie, high protein.... And I didn't mind eating it. I ate there so often, occasionally, they'd throw in a free drink, and sometimes they'd just comp the whole meal since I was a "regular"...

I love Chipotle for this exact reason. What other fast food type place can you get quality low cal. ingredients that taste good. I sometimes splurge and go to In-and-Out Burger, but mostly because the dogs love it. Other than Chipolte, Pei Wei is my only other go to.

If we had little tendenitas here like the southwest I'd go nowhere else. We don't. Hence Chipotle is an acceptable subsitute. We had the sofrites the other day, and it was yummy. We will probobly have the same on Monday. The tofu was delicious.

Never tried a Chipotle. Not sure if we have any. Never tried Qdoba either.

I generally don't do chain mexican food, but my wife loves Ted's, so we go there on occasion.

If it says its mexican food and it isnt from Texas, then I wont even bother with it. Im 8th generation, and nothing taste like mexican food than Tex-Mex

At home I have much better options that Chipotle...but when traveling, love that place.

Little tip if you are going there with "healthier" reasons in mind...you can order "plain" brown and white rice. They will get it from the back before they toss all the seasoning in it...MUCH less sodium per serving. Sodium content is the biggest gripe I have with them for as healthy as they claim to be.

apparently miramar got a chipotle since I left.......have eaten lunch there for the last 3 days straight even though I'm not that big of a fan. I guess it is the "experience" I must like :)

We have a chipotle and qdoba within a half mile of each other. I'm partial to qdoba, myself.

So, what is Sofritas any way? Can't find it on Chipotle's website menu.

David

What is the attraction to a food chain? Does slick marketing have that big of hold on people that they cant break away? It's FOOD people!

This is why so many Americans are over weight? They think eating is an Olympic event. Where you eat defines who you are as a person and where you fit into society. Sad really.

Now where did I leave those Chick Filet coupons. :lol:

Last edited:
Where I live, we have great taquerias on every corner,(California), but I travel a lot. I tried a mom and pop Mexican place in Door County Wisconsin and it was one of the worst eating experiences I have ever had. There are some places that you just don't have Mexican food... I eat at Chipotles maybe a couple of times a year and the burrito bowls aren't bad and they're fast and healthy. I'll take one of our local taquerias any day over that, though.

The original Chipotle is here and started as one of those hole in the walls that folks have said are better than chains.

The stainless steel and warehouse look they've homogenized into the chains is actually because the original was and still is in a small building and that was the only furniture they could buy.

It's also in a non-affluent neighborhood just off of a strip of bars, and night life stuff, and the rice and beans and big portions were really cheap back before they were a chain. It was hangover food. The spices were hotter back then, and the steak was tougher, too.

It's still fine for a quick bite but if I want a real burrito I'll go to Santiagos.

On a bet, I once ate two steak burritos from
chipotle for lunch. I was really hungry that day. I also won the bet.

What is the attraction to a food chain?
Probably the fact that what you get is going to be pretty much a known quantity. Mom and pop taco stands could be much better or they could be much worse. You don't know until you try them. I think this is true of all mom and pop vs. chain arguments.

Cue Jay to chime in about chain hotels. :D

Chipotle is a yawn to me. I've eaten there before, and I get salads (I'm a low carb guy, Mexican is a special challenge to me) and I always go away hungry. It's okay, there are just so many better choices where I am it isn't even on the radar.

I like Chipotle. I usually order the burrito bowl and substitute veggies for beans. I also like the soft tacos.

Probably the fact that what you get is going to be pretty much a known quantity. Mom and pop taco stands could be much better or they could be much worse. You don't know until you try them. I think this is true of all mom and pop vs. chain arguments.

Cue Jay to chime in about chain hotels. :D

I agree it is a known. May not be great but you have a clue what you will getting.

Jay will say all mom and pops are better :).

This is funny it made me go look and to my surprise I have only spent $1,199.96 over the past eight month. I typically get the "Quesa-rito" which isnt on the menu but is awesome. I go because it is quick and the meat is good quality. I'm in Dallas so there are lots of other "mexican" joints but for what I get there I dont think of it as mexican (ie. fajitas, enchiladas, etc).

It is a lot better than bueno or taco hell. Better quality ingredients...

Chipolte is probably my favorite of all the "fast style" mexican chains. I feel like it tastes very fresh compared to others, and that its a pretty healthy place depending on what you get. I like Moes but it tastes more processed than chipolte does. Chicken bowl and a steak taco, with a sweet tea (if your in the south). Love it!

Last edited:
We have both a Qdoba and a brand new Chipotles here. I've been to Qdoba exactly once and the food sucked. Never been to the new Chipotles yet but probably will never go due to their politics. Apparently most of WFalls feels the same because every time I drive past the place the parking lot is empty.

Funny thing is we have Taco Casa here and it's always jam packed with a line for the drive-thru wrapped halfway around the parking lot. Owned by a local pilot who flies an old Bonanza. His biz is so successful that he just built a 2nd restaurant. The food is classic TexMex fast food and very tasty. Blows Taco Bell, Taco Bueno, Taco Cabana, etc, completely out of the water. I go there at least every couple weeks and get a couple tacos.

Last edited:
Surprised at the chipotle love thought I read that stuff wasn't as healthy as folks think. Maybe it was just a ton of calories per meal.

Greatly prefer Qdoba to Chipotle, but I was damn impressed with the sofritas. I think it's going to be my new standby for when I don't feel like heading far from the office for lunch.

Back