??? for California motorcyclists...

I rode for 5 years in college (WSU). And I have the screws in my left ankle to prove it. Idiot ran a stop sign and hit our bike broadside. Thank goodness 1968 Ford Mustangs have flimsy front ends, if he had been driving my 1954 Buick Special he would have killed us. I had a line of curb paint about 6 inches long from where I hit the curb on the 3rd summersault coming off the bike. My wife was also saved by her helmet. Broke both bones in her lower left leg. That was 45 years ago and we still pay for it.

BTW, a 350 cc bike is not small. We were riding a Honda CL-175 the night we got hit. 3rd gear at 25 mph is not a place in the torque curve where you will get any response when you twist the throttle. Teach her how to RIDE that thing. Not just the simple stuff, the stuff that will save her life when some brain dead idiot is out to get her. And, as noted by someone else, ALWAYS wear a good helmet. I don't know about your state, but they are required here. If you ride without one, have your head examined while you still have a head to examine. I knew 4 people in high school and college who needed helmets (my wife and I are two of them). 3 had them and are alive today. One did not, and he died at the scene. And he wasn't riding a small bike. A large Harley, IIRC.

My accident was my own fault. I veered off a curve on a mountain road going triple digits, and hit an asphalt drainage curb. The impact was so great it sheared the side cases off the bike, sent me and the bike flying about 50 feet, then the bike spun across the road and impacted a rock on the other side, and burned up. I don't think there was a single part left on that bike big enough you couldn't carry it.

I was wearing mostly full gear, and spent three days in the ER with "blunt force trauma" to most of my body. I had some bad road rash on my leg, and the paramedics pulled the clutch lever out of my side. My helmet took a lot of impact. The face shield was ground down pretty bad. If I had been wearing anything less than a full face helmet, I would have been dead.

Back