Follow up on Superstition Scenic Flight

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
Well, I made the flight this AM that I asked about a couple of days ago. I thought I'd give a quick follow up. See the Flghtaware screen shot a couple of posts down for the ground track. (thank you @eman1200 )

I also will mention that I was doing this flight with my CFI. After talking about it with him this AM, he recommended NOT pursuing flight following. Besides the Bravo transition, this was all VFR.

We departed from KCHD and lifted off the ground at about 6:30 AM. We headed out over Firebird Lake at about 3,500'. I called up PHX approach and let them know we wanted "Bravo transition North followed by transition of Scottsdale to the East VFR."

We were cleared through the Bravo no problem at 5,000'. The floor of the Bravo Shelf just North of the airport is 5,000'. Once we cleared the "bow tie" portion of the Bravo, approach called and gave us contact information for KSDL. This is roughly how it went.

PHX Appr, "Skyhawk 123AB, contact Scottsdale tower 119.9, resume own navigation and appropriate VFR altitude" (at this point I started a descent)

Me, "Approach, Skyhawk 123AB, we're transitioning Scottsdale to the East."

PHX Appr, "Skyhawk 123AB, sorry about that, where are you going today, did you want flight following"

Me, "Skyhawk 123AB is flying to the East out to Canyon Lake, we'd like VFR"

PHX Appr, "Understood, Squawk VFR, remain clear of Bravo airspace, Freq change approved, good day"

We stayed down at 4,500 until we cleared that Bravo shelf. Then we climbed to 5,000' and slipped between KSDL and the Bravo, flew over the McDowell mountains and Fountain Hills. Looped around Saguaro Lake, stayed to the West of the Superstitions, desended and ducked back under the 5,000' Bravo shelf and transitioned KIWA.

KIWA tower WAS BUSY!!!! Wow, we could barely get a word in. We never got an early frequency change, so I deviated a bit to the North and stayed above the Chandler Delta until we got in touch with them. Made a downwind entry for 4L and made a mediocre landing.

It was a fun morning flight. 1.6 more on the Hobbs.

Last edited:
just take a screenshot of the flightaware track........

also, what does "we'd like VFR" mean? did u mean to say you want FF? I thought that was the whole point of your original post.

Sounds like a great flight!

After talking about it with him this AM, he recommended NOT pursuing flight following. Besides the Bravo transition, this was all VFR.
One little detail on your terminology. Saying that you are "VFR" does not imply that you are declining Flight Following services.

Pilots receiving Flight Following services are VFR. It's called VFR Flight Following. The alternative to VFR is IFR, not Flight Following. Just tell the controller that you are declining radar service or negative flight following, something like that.

(There are actually some instances where a flight will receive IFR Flight Following but it's relatively rare and I'm not aware of anywhere in the CONUS where that occurs. It would be in areas with significant areas of Class G airspace in which ATC does not have any authority to issue IFR clearances.)

just take a screenshot of the flightaware track........

also, what does "we'd like VFR" mean? did u mean to say you want FF? I thought that was the whole point of your original post.
LOL, I know...

I was intending to do FF. But once I got with my instructor this AM, and talked through it, he recommended not using FF.

Sounds like a great flight!

One little detail on your terminology. Saying that you are "VFR" does not imply that you are declining Flight Following services.

Pilots receiving Flight Following services are VFR. It's called VFR Flight Following. The alternative to VFR is IFR, not Flight Following. Just tell the controller that you are declining radar service or negative flight following, something like that.

(There are actually some instances where a flight will receive IFR Flight Following but it's relatively rare and I'm not aware of anywhere in the CONUS where that occurs. It would be in areas with significant areas of Class G airspace in which ATC does not have any authority to issue IFR clearances.)

Great point.

Back