Follow up from "lost on flight planning" thread

Hey, Jon,

The timing sucks since I'm about to be out of town for a week or so, but if you want to just go up with me on a $100 hamburger run or something let me know. (A trip to KSIK for some "throwed rolls" is pretty easy from here.) I think maybe a calm ride somewhere where you can sit back and observe and/or work the radios might be good for you.

And to reiterate what some others here have said, it sounds like you've lost confidence or compatibility with your CFI. This happened to me with one of my instructors in Memphis, and in hindsight I wish I'd found someone else. I wasted a lot of time trying to bridge the gap between her teaching style and my learning style. Something the student shouldn't be doing, IMO. She was also fond of yelling at her students, and one of the last times we flew I literally had to say, "You need to shut up for a while." It worked--but it doesn't need to come to that.

Mark

I'd love to. I need for this to have some semblance of fun again.

I'm not looking forward to switching CFI's but the more feedback I get here the more I think I should....ugh.

I guess I should cancel my XC with my current CFI for this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As usual, everyone is rushing to blame the instructor based on one person's telling of the tale of the flight. Instructor most likely has a different take on what actually transpired.

So maybe the CFI's side of things is different, but this quote from the OP says it all. He's not having a good time. Maybe the CFI is a yelling risk taking fool, and maybe not. It really doesn't matter what the truth is if the student isn't happy with the instruction he's getting though. The customer may not always be right, but generally the customer should at least be happy when they leave.

Your 135 must be different than mine, that's for sure. Its just another item for us, plan on how to get around, but you're going no matter what, unless its not legal.

Sounds like you should find a new employer.

If we can get around it we will, but we ain't playing with a squall line, or landing at a airport with a huge cell planted above it.

I'm not looking forward to switching CFI's but the more feedback I get here the more I think I should....ugh.

I guess I should cancel my XC with my current CFI for this weekend.

You know the answer, what does your gut tell you? Do you feel safe with this guy? Do you feel that you will actually learn from him?

No one on here can really tell you what is best for you, but you can!

Lots to comment on here, but the getting "yelled at" by your instructor troubles me. When does a service provider yell at a paying customer/client? That makes no sense to me. I think you should find a better instructor.

That was my main concern as well, L.D.

Jon: If I were you for the weekend XC, I would first talk to my CFI and discuss the yelling. If he is determined to keep it up, tell him you are not a Marine recruit and he is not Sargent Carter, then find another CFI. If he is ruining flying for you, stop flying with him.

Find a new CFI.

I agree completely. For multiple reasons.

My first XC had NO use of electronic navaids. None. All compass courses and pilotage. I don't know about where you fly, but that's quite doable where I live. In fact, the route for my first XC was such that if you could get lost you really needed to find another way to spend your disposable income. Look up a flight between KOLM and KKLS. :D Having a student struggle to keep a VOR needle centered is a whole different exercise, at least to this non-CFI.

Launching in that sort of weather for a VFR XC was not the sort of thing I would do as an instrument rated pilot. The idea of the XC in training, as I understand it, it to teach you how to get from point A to point B and back without a bunch of other distractions.

You hadn't flown in a while and you are student. The weather was crappy. And your CFI yelled at you because your landing wasn't great? That would be the final straw. Find someone else who teaches, rather than intimidates.

BTW, don't worry about the landing. You didn't bend anything. I haven't flown in over a year due to medical issues and I don't plan on getting back into the air until next spring. When I do (with a CFI in the right seat) I expect a few of my landings would make America's Funniest Home Videos if recorded. We all can stink them up now and then. Get a new CFI and carry on.

Almost all my XC flights were visual navigation and pilotage, with some VOR use when he would give me the "you are lost, how are you gonna find yourself" scenario. If I tried to use the GPS he would switch it to heading display only and tell me it was broken.

So I've decided to definitely switch instructors, I just need to figure out how to tell my current CFI in a respectful and professional way.

I spoke to a friend who recommended a CFI out of KJWN who isn't with a school, so he teaches in his Piper Cherokee...does anyone have any thoughts on switching from a high wing to a low wing mid-stream? I think it could be good because the flying club I want to join has both.

There are also other instructors I could get with at my current flight school. I have no problem with the school so that is still an option. There are 10 instructors or so, so I have no idea which one to consider.

Absolutely, you need a CFI who does not yell - fire his butt. Be up front and twll it like it is.

Secondly, it seems to me you are not holding up your end. He cannot teach you ground school from the cockpit. His time there is to hold your hand while you develop muscle memory and judgement.

Why haven't YOU sat down with the King School videos (or any other source - not just King) so that you can show HIM how to calculate a W&B, and plan the fuel burn, and how to plan your track across the ground from knowing the winds aloft, the magnetic variation, compass deviation, etc. etc. yadda, yadda????
Can you chant East is least, etc. and understand how to add or subtract that number?
And if not - WHY?
It's YOUR responsibility to come to him after having done your homework - so that he can quiz and check your understanding and offer suggestions on any weak spots.

Consider your butt thoroughly chewed (without having raised my voice :D )

On the weather and clouds, etc. I don't have enough information to have an opinion. I will give you that the picture you post does not look like primary student flying weather (might have snuck up on him).
But, what a student might consider a dicey situation - while squeezing the yoke with a death grip - an experienced pilot might be having trouble staying awake during.

Keep talking to us.

Last edited:
Absolutely, you need a CFI who does not yell - fire his butt. Be up front and twll it like it is.

Secondly, it seems to me you are not holding up your end. He cannot teach you ground school from the cockpit. His time there is to hold your hand while you develop muscle memory and judgement.

Why haven't YOU sat down with the King School videos (or any other source - not just King) so that you can show HIM how to calculate a W&B, and plan the fuel burn, and how to plan your track across the ground from knowing the winds aloft, the magnetic variation, compass deviation, etc. etc. yadda, yadda????
Can you chant East is least, etc. and understand how to add or subtract that number?
And if not - WHY?
It's YOUR responsibility to come to him after having done your homework - so that he can quiz and check your understanding and offer suggestions on any weak spots.

Consider your butt thoroughly chewed (without having raised my voice :D )

On the weather and clouds, etc. I don't have enough information to have an opinion. I will give you that the picture you post does not look like primary student flying weather (might have snuck up on him).
But, what a student might consider a dicey situation - while squeezing the yoke with a death grip - an experienced pilot might be having trouble staying awake during.

Keep talking to us.

You're absolutely right, I haven't done my part. In my defense though, I have been working through the jeppesen book, but I don't think the jep book does a great job on the cross country piece. Even with that, I could calculate most of the individual items for a XC, like all the different courses/headings. I was just struggling with some of the POH related tasks.

This week I signed up for the online ground school at m0a.com and have been really benefiting from the information there so far. They also have weekly webinars so I'll be doing that and watching past webinars as well. right now I'm working through the webinars on XC planning. So I'm at least making an effort to not go to my next CFI unprepared.

So I've decided to definitely switch instructors, I just need to figure out how to tell my current CFI in a respectful and professional way.
Just tell him you're changing instructors because you're not getting what you want from him. Keep it short, simple, and polite.

I spoke to a friend who recommended a CFI out of KJWN who isn't with a school, so he teaches in his Piper Cherokee...does anyone have any thoughts on switching from a high wing to a low wing mid-stream? I think it could be good because the flying club I want to join has both.
It's not a matter of high-wing/low-wing, it's a matter of changing types, and it's never something you want to do. However, in this case, it appears to be necessary, so you do what you have to do. But before you pick someone, make sure that person is going to do the things your current instructor does not -- organized syllabus, good ground training lessons before flight, etc.

As for changing instructors within the current flight school, you should discuss this with the Chief Instructor. Explain why you wish to change instructors, and see if they can arrange a different instructor who will meet your needs. You may find you don't need to change schools, just instructors. Or the Chief may be able to work things out with your current instructor so you get the training you want from him.

Last edited:
My CFI told me he was going to be very strict during check ride prep, but he never yelled. Its stressful enough without adding that to it.

He actually let me take off on a windy day when wind was way beyond my limits. I even knew i couldn't handle it. The second the mains left the runway I knew I should have said "we are canceling today". The wind was well within his abilities and I counted on that. But on the 6th attempt I sadly asked if he would mind taking over. He wanted me to know when to say its beyond my level of skill. Never feel like you have to go, if its to much say no. Doesn't matter if its to windy or weather, if your not comfortable tell him. If he gets testy find another CFI. Just my opinion.

Back