Folding wing 777...

Boeing has a hard time keeping their batteries from catching on fire. Not sure I want them screwing around with the wings.

Boeing has a hard time keeping their batteries from catching on fire. Not sure I want them screwing around with the wings.

Boeing already makes planes with folding wings that take a hell of a load.

Boeing already makes planes with folding wings that take a hell of a load.

For passenger or just military? A wing fails on an F/A-18, the occupants eject. The wing fails on a 777, hundreds die. Intesresting concept, yes. But that doesn't mean I want to fly on them until they get the bugs worked out.

Last edited:
Wonder who will be the first crew to launch with the wings folded. :D

Cheers

If I recall correctly, the 777 was originally designed with a folding wing option.

For passenger or just military? A wing fails on an F/A-18, the occupants eject. The wing fails on a 777, hundreds die. Intesresting concept, yes. But that doesn't mean I want to fly on them until they get the bugs worked out.
Josh, look up how many folding wing aircraft have had a wing-folding incident. Report back... how often does this happen?

-Skip

Boeing does not make batteries.

Boeing barely makes airplanes -- they just stick together all the pieces the subcontractors build. :wink2:

787 Subcontracted assemblies included (lifted from wikipedia):
wing (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Japan, central wing box)
tail and horizontal stabilizers (Alenia Aeronautica, Italy Korea Aerospace Industries, South Korea)
fuselage sections (Global Aeronautica, Italy; Boeing, North Charleston, US; Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Japan; Spirit AeroSystems, Wichita, US; Korean Air, South Korea)
passenger doors (Latécoère, France)
cargo doors, access doors, and crew escape door (Saab AB, Sweden)
software development (HCL Enterprise India)
floor beams (TAL Manufacturing Solutions Limited, India)
wiring (Labinal, France)
wing-tips, flap support fairings, wheel well bulkhead, and longerons (Korean Air, South Korea)
landing gear (Messier-Bugatti-Dowty, UK/France)
power distribution and management systems, air conditioning packs (Hamilton Sundstrand, Connecticut, US)​

Boeing barely makes airplanes -- they just stick together all the pieces the subcontractors build. :wink2:

787 Subcontracted assemblies included (lifted from wikipedia):
wing (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Japan, central wing box)
tail and horizontal stabilizers (Alenia Aeronautica, Italy Korea Aerospace Industries, South Korea)
fuselage sections (Global Aeronautica, Italy; Boeing, North Charleston, US; Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Japan; Spirit AeroSystems, Wichita, US; Korean Air, South Korea)
passenger doors (Latécoère, France)
cargo doors, access doors, and crew escape door (Saab AB, Sweden)
software development (HCL Enterprise India)
floor beams (TAL Manufacturing Solutions Limited, India)
wiring (Labinal, France)
wing-tips, flap support fairings, wheel well bulkhead, and longerons (Korean Air, South Korea)
landing gear (Messier-Bugatti-Dowty, UK/France)
power distribution and management systems, air conditioning packs (Hamilton Sundstrand, Connecticut, US)​

And your point is?????? :rolleyes:

Josh, look up how many folding wing aircraft have had a wing-folding incident. Report back... how often does this happen?

-Skip

Why don't you look? I really don't care if it's never happened before. There is a first time for everything.

Boeing does not make batteries.

No. But they made the plane designs, specified the type and number of batteries, and contracted the company for the batteries. They are responsible for the products they use and the ultimate assembly. Seems like a pretty big failure on a non-structural part.

If Airbus did it, we'd find a time that the computer decided to fold the wings in-flight because...well, just because.

So I wonder why the idea has been resurrected now.

From what I read the 777x has too much wingspan for current gates, so rather than have to limit operations to specially modified airports and gates like the A-380, they're choosing to go with a folding wing. Also, the 777 wing was aluminum, the 777x wing will be carbon.

No. But they made the plane designs, specified the type and number of batteries, and contracted the company for the batteries. They are responsible for the products they use and the ultimate assembly. Seems like a pretty big failure on a non-structural part.

Building an airliner that goes right to Level 400 and cruises at Mach .85 while burning 9000 lbs per hour total is pretty far away from a being a failure. Yet, I have feeling you would not be smart enough to recognize that as a success.

Amazingly from just a few posts I feel I have learned a great deal about you as a person.

Can you see the wing tips from the cockpit of a 777?

I'm wondering if the pilots will rely only on indicator lights to verify whether the wing tips are up or down.

Can you see the wing tips from the cockpit of a 777?

I'm wondering if the pilots will rely only on indicator lights to verify whether the wing tips are up or down.

No you can't see the wings.

I don't see why we wouldn't rely on indicators. We can't see anything else from the cockpit (gear, flaps, etc) and we rely on indicators for those.

Building an airliner that goes right to Level 400 and cruises at Mach .85 while burning 9000 lbs per hour total is pretty far away from a being a failure. Yet, I have feeling you would not be smart enough to recognize that as a success.

Amazingly from just a few posts I feel I have learned a great deal about you as a person.

Oh no! Someone on the internets passes judegment from what I post and doesn't like me for that! Sorry I'm not as smart as you or view things differently. I'll work to change myself.....not.

You think this is crazy, wait until you hear that Tupolev seriously proposed air-to-air refueling for the MS-21 project a few years ago. Apparently they could not meet the numbers for Frankfurt to Tokyo route otherwise.

If they had the technology to build the Boeing carbon wing, they would've ramped up the aspect ratio too.

Why don't you look? I really don't care if it's never happened before. There is a first time for everything.

Actually it has happened before. An A-7 corsair was catapulted from a carrier with the outer wing panels folded. Best of all, it flew and they made it back!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back