FOI fundamentals of instruction written - passed

crnaman77

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Wes
Since I used this forum to gather information about how others have done on the FOI written, I will post my results as well.

For the FOI, I used the dauntless app on my iphone/ipad with these options selected, study all questions once, shuffle answer choices, show explanation after each wrong question (and find out why I missed it), enabled question stacks with stack #5 turned off.

Then I answered questions until there were no more left to answer. My thinking is that as questions make it to stack #5 I know it well enough not to waste time on it again.

I made 88% on the actual test. Not perfect but achieved the desired outcome. The questions were mostly exactly like from the dauntless app. There were three questions I didn't recognize and the others I missed were my fault.

So it's safe to assume from my experience the dauntless app will adequately prepare you for the FOI written well enough to pass it. I guess their app has the updated questions since the supposed change back in 2011.

Congrats! I had similar results last year with the exact same study method.

Congratulations! I took the FOI a while ago but let it expire after two years... Good luck on the next test.

I've started back on the other test just today after a long hiatus from discouragement in the aerodynamics section (my knowledge of flight and the faa terminology wasn't jiving). But I delved back into it and hope to be ready for the next test at the most by end of January and will post those results here as well.

Incidentally, what is everyone going for cfi-a doing for and logging for the ground training requirement?

Incidentally, what is everyone going for cfi-a doing for and logging for the ground training requirement?
Sheppard Air for everything:
ATP: 93%
FOI: 96%
AGI: 96%
FIA: 89% (only studied for two hours and went over "correct answer only" once. lol. I'm still mad about it. The AGI is similar, but a harder test IMHO.

In response to crnaman,77, I went over a predetermined list of oral lessons and taught them to PTS standards. Everything else is self-study. In the airplane, I taught all Private and Commercial maneuvers to PTS standards.

Everything in the Private and Commercial PTS. Line by line making sure I know everything or at least can look up an answer for everything. I should be taking my ride either at the end of the month or the beginning of February.

Congrats on passing the FOI!

Another satisfied Sheppard Air user:

FOI - 100%
FIA - 99%

I read Flight Instructor's Handbook, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, and Airplane Flying Handbook cover to cover.

And probably the only person to ever do so.

Sheppard Air is great...used them for Commercial Helicopter and all of my fixed wing ratings and have done well on all of them. Also read the required books cover to cover.

Sheppard Air

98% and it took exactly 7 minutes to finish the exam.

Yeah, they think you are sketchy when you knock out 3 exams inside of 45 minutes....

Back