FOI and CFI study materials

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
i don't recall seeing a list or discussion of good materials for the Fundamentals of Instruction or Certified Flight Instructor. We have lots on PPl, IFR, and CPL, but not FOI and CFI.

How about we build up such a list for studying and passing both the written and practical tests for these.

Sheppard air will cover the writtens. Now just study the usual suspects for the checkride.

FAA website and download the pdf on thr FOI. Everything else comes from PHAK and the other FAA docs. There are a few questions on helicopters, ultralights and balloons.

There is no checkride for BGI, AGI or IGI, nor so you need any signoff, just take your ID and over to a testing center. FOI is a separate exam, so it can get expensive. Ignore the BGI and take the AGI.

Sheppard Air for the written and Aviation Instructor's Handbook for the practical. It's really dry material and most of the FOI is common sense stuff.

Should have added providing links to the FAA specific web pages would be a good thing

And while Sheppard Air is good for memorizing the test, I wanted to list resources that would aid in understanding the information (like resources from ASA or King Schools)

I bought the FOI and FIA prep books from Gleim. Still haven't cracked either one of them, been too busy with other projects. One of these days I'll get around to it, probably..maybe :)

Hm....I never thought to post this in my reply...I just assume everyone has it bookmarked.

Sorry.

That Aggie (Roll Tide) character requested it, so I helped. No big deal, as you say, big boys should be able to find this shet on their own anyway.

The other half of the desired discussion was to hear from our members who are CFI's about what they used to study/prepare.

A look on both Gleim and King Schools shows some different offerings.

If they offer free trials of the course, I might take advantage, and then post details of what they are like.

The other half of the desired discussion was to hear from our members who are CFI's about what they used to study/prepare.

I thought you were only looking for written test stuff. I read the OP again and realized you were looking for checkride study sources as well.

For the practical:
- King CFI checkride video course
- AFH, PHAK, AIH — each studied very closely
- ACS/PTS for CFI, Commercial, and Private — each studied very closely
- POH of the airplane you're flying
- ASA Oral Exam guide by Hayes
- lots of practice explaining technical concepts and maneuvers

I read the OP again and realized you were looking for checkride study sources as well.
Looking for anything that will help PoA members get busy with the instructor ratings.

For those of you that like audio books, Librivox.org has the Airplane Flying Handbook, Pilots Handbook of Aeronutical Knowledge and the Aviation Instructors Handbook available for free download. They really helped me and the recordings are done quite well. The only downside is the AFH and PHAK are done from the previous versions. Highly recommended.

https://librivox.org/search?q=FAA&search_form=advanced

Last edited:
I'm getting ready for my cfi checkride the beginning of March (I have a thread on it).
For the writtens I just used the free materials off the FAA's website. Just read over the foi and take a few practice test, you'll be fine. Yes, it's dry and some common sense but it's nothing earth shattering that I felt the need to buy books/testprep.
As far as the practical test prep goes I'm reading through the oral exam guide from ASA, the ACS/PTS for appropriate certificates, and while going through those documents referencing the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Airplane Flying Handbook.
I'll let you know how well it works out for me in a few weeks lol.

I'm getting ready for my cfi checkride the beginning of March (I have a thread on it).
For the writtens I just used the free materials off the FAA's website. Just read over the foi and take a few practice test, you'll be fine. Yes, it's dry and some common sense but it's nothing earth shattering that I felt the need to buy books/testprep.
As far as the practical test prep goes I'm reading through the oral exam guide from ASA, the ACS/PTS for appropriate certificates, and while going through those documents referencing the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Airplane Flying Handbook.
I'll let you know how well it works out for me in a few weeks lol.

For the written all that stuff is great. Then remember for the ride to turn it all into teaching.

Recommended: Print and have some of the more common advisory circulars as handouts for your lesson plans. Just like you'd bring to teach a student the material. There's too many of them to have all of them unless you download them into a device that has the ability to search them.

Depending on the examiner, some will give you time to grab some materials from any source for the lessons they "spring" on you during the oral. Worth asking yours how they handle that.

@AggieMike88

I took the FOI/CFI/AGI/IGI tests, passed them all first try with very high marks.
I recommend the ASA test prep books (CFI/AGI/IGI is super covered) and FOI.
BUT I also strongly recommend the Dauntless pc program for the FOI.. the dauntless pc program has about 150 extra questions more than the ASA test prep book on the FOI questions. Some are just repeat worded differently.. but having ALL the questions is a plus (96% score here). I think you can purchase the FOI ALONE from Dauntless, since not everyone who takes the FOI are flight instructors. You will not need to buy the entire CFI test banks.
Some people have issues with the FOI dry questions..

good luck

Back