Foam Mic Covers

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
Last summer I was riding my motorcycle on vacation, and I lost that foam cover that goes over the microphone for my intercom. I stopped at a hardware store to look for something, and all I could find was a package of six disposable 1" foam paint brushes. I bought them for a dollar, and proceeded to pull the foam off one of the handles. There is a spade like piece of plastic that extends into the foam, however it is only attached at the very end where it meets the handle. It was perfect to slip over the mic, and attach with a rubber band. Just last week the foam cover fell off the mic on my Sigtronics headset, and I lost it. I went out to the garage, and got one of those brushes out of the saddlebag, and put the foam pad over the mic, just like I did with the motorcycle intercom. It looked like I was trying to talk into a disposable paint brush, so I got out the scissors, and trimmed it up. You can't tell the difference now. Just for anyone caught too far from a pilot shop, and needing a mic cover.

Last edited:
Man, I like a creative solution!

You should get an STC for that...you could make some serious money! Personally, I think I'd leave it looking like a paintbrush...good conversation piece!

very nice max, ill bring a fresh set of paint brushes to your next lesson :)

But neither of those are acoustic foam that is PMA and FAA approved. Won't the audio response of your microphone be adversely affected such that ATC may not be able to hear your radio calls?

;)

Look for the note in the NTSB report listing the unapproved equiptment as a factor...

Look for the note in the NTSB report listing the unapproved equiptment as a factor...

"Pilot failed to maintain directional control due to foam paint brush on his headset. Weather was not a contributing cause."

Back