FlyQ EFB supports Stratus 2

As a ex software developer, choosing to limit your design to a closed architecture limits your options and ongoing sales. Once you reach market saturation in a limited marketplace, you are out of luck

When all is said and done, I can't believe Sporty's or Appareo will lose sleep over more unit sales for use with alternate EFBs.
What "more unit sales" are those? Other than maybe a few folks who don't know any better, why would anyone buy hardware that is not supposed to work when one can buy hardware that is supposed to work? I would hope the typical EFB purchaser knows enough not to buy a metric wrench for English sized bolts just because he might be able to make it fit for a while.

As a ex software developer, choosing to limit your design to a closed architecture limits your options and ongoing sales. Once you reach market saturation in a limited marketplace, you are out of luck
That's a software developer perspective. A business perspective might be very different. My guess from a business perspective is that at least part of the decision was based on the advantages often associated with product integration - control of the product to enhance consistent operation, quality control, and feature development. You know, that strategy that never worked that well for that poor failed company, Apple Computer ;)

Btw, whadayamean Florida without old grumpy people? Plenty of old grumpy people in the Florida of the mountain west.

Last edited:
What "more unit sales" are those? Other than maybe a few folks who don't know any better, why would anyone buy hardware that is not supposed to work when one can buy hardware that is supposed to work? I would hope the typical EFB purchaser knows enough not to buy a metric wrench for English sized bolts just because he might be able to make it fit for a while.

Some might be reluctant to commit to a product supported by a single vendor. Have multiple options is never a bad thing.

I've been using FlyQ for a while and it is a great app. Although I am thinking of switching to FF when my subscription expires. The one thing I like about FF is the ability to load a pattern entry into the flight plan. FlyQ has the runway extensions so figuring out where you need to be for any particular pattern entry is not that big of a deal, but FF does make it dead simple.

I've been using FlyQ for a while and it is a great app. Although I am thinking of switching to FF when my subscription expires. The one thing I like about FF is the ability to load a pattern entry into the flight plan. FlyQ has the runway extensions so figuring out where you need to be for any particular pattern entry is not that big of a deal, but FF does make it dead simple.

For the record, we invented that feature about 8 years ago for our Windows app (Voyager). It's coming to FlyQ EFB although it's not in the next release. Also, FlyQ EFB version 2.0 is scheduled for an April (or so) release. In my completely unbiased opinion, you'll love it ;)

Thanks, Steve

know, that strategy that never worked that well for that poor failed company, Apple Computer ;)

Btw, whadayamean Florida without old grumpy people? Plenty of old grumpy people in the Florida of the mountain west.

And does Apple have 100% of the market place ?

As for "old grumpy people" - Florida is the Mecca for them.

For the record, we invented that feature about 8 years ago for our Windows app (Voyager). It's coming to FlyQ EFB although it's not in the next release. Also, FlyQ EFB version 2.0 is scheduled for an April (or so) release. In my completely unbiased opinion, you'll love it ;)

Thanks, Steve

Thanks Steve. It will definitely be worth waiting for.

Some might be reluctant to commit to a product supported by a single vendor. Have multiple options is never a bad thing.
I don't disagree at all. Different business philosophies attract different types of consumers. Sometimes even the same consumer for different products.

I'd love to see numbers on aviation app market share but I don't doubt Steve's statement that Apple exceeds Android. I think it likely it's at least in part because the closed iPad system is perceived as more reliable for something that important (even without the incredible head start the iPad had).

And I wouldn't be surprised to see FF on top with late-comer to the app work Garmin either exceeding or quickly catching up to second place, both systems that only use their own ADS-B hardware.

Steve? You probably have numbers on that.

And does Apple have 100% of the market place ?
Of course not. Your point? That a market strategy that doesn't capture 100% of a market is a failure? That Apple's closed-system strategy for the tablet is a failure (as it was in the original Apple/PC wars)?

I know that "open" can be successful; that "closed" can also be successful; and that market segments react in different ways.

I have a feeling we are misunderstanding each other? Are you thinking I'm arguing the religious viewpoint that "closed is good; open is bad"? Hardly. Are you arguing the opposite?

There is no question that pilots tend to prefer (or be stuck with, depending on your POV) Apple products. We make FlyQ Pocket for both iOS and Android and the iOS version dramatically outstrips the Android version and always has. And that's for a phone app where you'd expect a higher percent of Android than iPhone. For the tablet, just look at the apps. Other than Garmin, there is no major app on Android. I know how many requests we get for an Android version of FlyQ EFB and while it's not trivial, it's no where near as many requests that we get for any number of misc. features for the iPad version. If Android demand for a tablet app were high, it would attract more players. This isn't a statement about the relative merits of each OS; I think it's simply that the best apps have always been on iOS so most pilots aren't put-off by spending $400 for an iPad to run them even if they don't plan on using the iPad for anything else. Remember the days of $2000 annual Garmin x96 handheld GPS updates? Today is a lot better!

Steve

There is no question that pilots tend to prefer (or be stuck with, depending on your POV) Apple products. We make FlyQ Pocket for both iOS and Android and the iOS version dramatically outstrips the Android version and always has. And that's for a phone app where you'd expect a higher percent of Android than iPhone. For the tablet, just look at the apps. Other than Garmin, there is no major app on Android. I know how many requests we get for an Android version of FlyQ EFB and while it's not trivial, it's no where near as many requests that we get for any number of misc. features for the iPad version. If Android demand for a tablet app were high, it would attract more players. This isn't a statement about the relative merits of each OS; I think it's simply that the best apps have always been on iOS so most pilots aren't put-off by spending $400 for an iPad to run them even if they don't plan on using the iPad for anything else. Remember the days of $2000 annual Garmin x96 handheld GPS updates? Today is a lot better!

Steve

I agree. I've never been a huge Apple fan and actually had an Android fan when I discovered ForeFlight on the iPad and immediately had to have one. I've since explored other options with Android tablets (and purchased two) but the overall experience with my iPad has just been better than Android...not that Android was bad, but Apple was just better. Since switching to an iPhone which gives me a backup to the iPad I dropped my Garmin Pilot subscription.

FlyQ is a close competitor to ForeFlight and is preferred slightly over the Garmin Pilot (the iOS version of which is way better than Android, but still not as intuitive as FF or FlyQ.)

But I'm a fan of competition, so I hope others enter the Android market. But as you point out, the cost of a top notch iPad and an annual subscription to any product is a fraction of what we used to spend for a handheld GPS! My 295 hasn't been out of the bag in almost five years since acquiring my first iPad!

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

Since you're an insider, what are the chances that you could offer a 1 month only plan. I work overseas and I really don't need the full year if I could just buy a month every now and then. Although, I'll admit the annual fee ain't that bad.

Even though I'm a long time Foreflight user, when I heard that FlyQ supports the Stratus II I thought I'd give it a try this week. Plus, their offer of a free year for Foreflight users was pretty enticing.

However, much to my dismay, it locked up on me tighter than a drum while I was trying it out (thankfully, on the ground). I don't recall Foreflight ever doing that to me, although I think I remember others complaining about that.

I don't think I'll be switching yet...but it was certainly a good-looking app.

Even though I'm a long time Foreflight user, when I heard that FlyQ supports the Stratus II I thought I'd give it a try this week. Plus, their offer of a free year for Foreflight users was pretty enticing.

However, much to my dismay, it locked up on me tighter than a drum while I was trying it out (thankfully, on the ground). I don't recall Foreflight ever doing that to me, although I think I remember others complaining about that.

I like the airport data presentation...but the hangs and ADS-B link drops are concerning...

I like the airport data presentation...but the hangs and ADS-B link drops are concerning...

You can't use ForeFlight and FlyQ at the same time on the Stratus, incl. on two different iPads. That's the only issue. Just reboot the iPad and the Stratus and only use FlyQ EFB and you'll have no issues.

Also we always suggest you turn Airplane Mode ON (disables all wireless) then just enable the WiFi to connect to the ADS-B receiver.

Thanks, Steve

You can't use ForeFlight and FlyQ at the same time on the Stratus, incl. on two different iPads. That's the only issue. Just reboot the iPad and the Stratus and only use FlyQ EFB and you'll have no issues.

Also we always suggest you turn Airplane Mode ON (disables all wireless) then just enable the WiFi to connect to the ADS-B receiver.

Thanks, Steve

"Since switching to an iPhone which gives me a backup to the iPad I dropped my Garmin Pilot subscription." I did the same. I use the mini between both of my Apple devices. Unfortunately FlyQ Efb does not show up as available on my phone whereas I have Wing X Pro on my phone. Note to readers, Steve has been great in attempting to address concerns on my trying to see ADS_B traffic using the various ADS_B In devices with my Garmin ADS_B out. When my wife's flip phone died last year, we went with the iPhone just to have a third option for position display. Speaking of position display, Steve, please consider displaying position display even on an outdated approach plate. The other option that would be nice would be to have an ADS_B in traffic display on the approach plate. it would have been interesting to see on my approach into Love Field, Dallas TX here http://clarityphotos.smugmug.com/Av...es-ADSB-In/Wing-X-Screen-Captures/i-49RJjhD/A . Sorry but you know I was using Wing X Pro at that time because of ADS_B in device issues.

Back