FlyQ EFB Inexpensive Offering

Flybuddy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flybuddy
Just received the following email from FlyQ offering new subscribers $49 first year subscriptions for their new 4.5 release. That's their full VFR/IFR package that's normally $159.

"I hope you and your loved ones are doing as well as possible during these difficult times. As a Lifetime subscriber, we think of you as part of our extended family.

As you're likely spending more time at home than usual, I hope you've had a chance to download, or at least learn about, the just-released FlyQ EFB 4.5. It has what we believe is the very best weather analysis tools of any aviation app, bar none. In fact, the reviews from your fellow customers have made us blush a little. Here is the link to a video and more info: https://seattleavionics.wordpress.com/2020/04/06/flyq-efb-4-5-now-available/

If you feel so inclined, we'd appreciate it if you'd pass this info to your fellow pilots -- esp. the ones who don't currently use FlyQ EFB ;) In fact, since we're so excited about this release, we're doing a special deal where folks w/o a current subscription to FlyQ can get their first year for just $49! That's for both IFR and VFR. They can buy at that price from https://seattleavionics.com/eCommerce/Buy1.aspx?CouponCode=V45EFB49ff

Again, we hope you're doing well. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Sincerely,
Steve Podradchik
CEO"

Thanks for sharing. I am going to get the full package soon. With the commercial and the CFI rides soon.. am hoping to make the switch to an EFB.

I recently switched WingX to FlyQ...and very pleased. Especially with all their new weather layers in 4.5.

Looks great. I use and love iFlyGPS, but they have a two-device limit and would like a third for my wife and/or backup. Almost pulled the trigger on this offer, but saw it was only available on iProducts. We are Apple-free. Sigh.

Looks great. I use and love iFlyGPS, but they have a two-device limit and would like a third for my wife and/or backup. Almost pulled the trigger on this offer, but saw it was only available on iProducts. We are Apple-free. Sigh.
You probably know this - an extra $25 gets you another two devices on your iFly subscription.

Still using foreflight, the more I see Flyq the more impressed I get. May consider a change in the near future.

I recently switched WingX to FlyQ...and very pleased. Especially with all their new weather layers in 4.5.

I did exactly the same..Had WingX for years and they seem to have abandoned their product. I still have Ifly also as I have a 740 and also run it on an ipad. FlyQ does most everything that everybody's favorite EFB does with much better and simpler pricing.
One tip, The only minor issue I had on FlyQ was that even though I entered my N number in the ignore ADSB data field I would still have my own ghost haunting me. Finally gave up and asked, got a quick email back that said to try the FAA registry hex number in the field instead of the N number--that took care of it. Flew today and the ghost is finally gone. The field below that one also allows for entry of buddy aircraft N numbers. As I fly with friends a lot, this is a nice feature as it turns their data box blue and is easy to spot wherever they may be on the screen.

Just downloaded the free trial. My FF subscription is coming due. May switch for the comin year. I especially like the temporal weather ability with the time slider. Wish FF had that. Wish FlyQ had a little more preflight weather available like ForeFlight. I guess hence the name Fore flight.

Last edited:
Just downloaded the free trial. My FF subscription is coming due. May switch for the comin year. I especially like the temporal weather ability with the time slider. Wish FF had that. Wish FlyQ had a little more preflight weather available like ForeFlight. I guess hence the name Fore flight.

If you're playing with it the night before does that make it Fore-Play?

I did exactly the same..Had WingX for years and they seem to have abandoned their product. I still have Ifly also as I have a 740 and also run it on an ipad. FlyQ does most everything that everybody's favorite EFB does with much better and simpler pricing.
One tip, The only minor issue I had on FlyQ was that even though I entered my N number in the ignore ADSB data field I would still have my own ghost haunting me. Finally gave up and asked, got a quick email back that said to try the FAA registry hex number in the field instead of the N number--that took care of it. Flew today and the ghost is finally gone. The field below that one also allows for entry of buddy aircraft N numbers. As I fly with friends a lot, this is a nice feature as it turns their data box blue and is easy to spot wherever they may be on the screen.
I also was plagued with ghosts until I entered both #s....but be aware it seems those #s need to be reentered on each device - iPad, iPhone ...

Around 2012, I switched from Foreflight to FlyQ because I genuinely liked the features of that generation of FlyQ more. I recognize that Foreflight has made more impressive enhancement to their products over the years such as their synthetic vision, flight planning, and 3D maps. Frankly, I think that FlyQ's buddy list feature was a waste of their time as no one I know uses that. So, I bit the bait when I was recently challenged and encouraged to give Foreflight a trial run one more time. After a 1 week and a half of using Foreflight, I do recognize that it has more features, but it's really not applicable to a light-IFR/VFR single-engine pilot like me. Especially with the time slider and other new weather features on this FlyQ 4.5 update, there is really no discussion in my mind regarding which product makes more sense for me. I do not need performance profiles of Foreflight as I have 3 different profiles for my plane on FlyQ each with their takeoff, cruise, and descent fuel flows combinations (low-speed cruise, mid-altitude high-power cruise, and high-altitude mid-power cruise); I land within 1-2 gallons of predicted on pretty much every flight which is fine as I don't ever fly the planned route given ATC deviations. I do not need 3D flight planning; I use the Aerial view on FlyQ and Google Earth for that, but I understand why it is a nice feature if you want to stay in one app. I bought the lifetime membership many Black Friday's ago, and I no longer have to worry about monthly or yearly subscription costs. I do try to get the word out that the people at Seattle Avionics are responsive to their customers' suggestions and their app is likely worthy of most GA pilots' consideration.

I use both FlyQ and Garmin Pilot. I always use FlyQ for my pre-flight planning (along with other resources) and filing my flight plans. I've kept my Garmin Pilot subscription (VFR only) for two reasons, for in flight ADS-B in coming from my GTX345, and the log book feature. Now that I have my ADS-B in/out working on my IFD440, which shares with FlyQ, I could just use FlyQ in flight all the time, EXCEPT i do not like FlyQ's logbook nearly as well as Garmin Pilot. The biggest difference is tracking currency, Garmin Pilot makes is very easy to track approaches & holds, FlyQ does not. If they ever do get the logbook up to the level of Garmin Pilot I'll end my Garmin Pilot subscription. It needs to be much more user friendly, and be able to import my current logbook entries from Garmin Pilot, or at minimum be able to put in a beginning balance for hours.

Back