FlyQ and holding

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Can FlyQ provide a radial or inbound course to a fix for holding?

If your question is whether one can select a fix and get a course/bearing to that fix that begins a hold, then yes. You can double tap on the fix on the sectional or low altitude IFR map, select it and then press the direct button. You will get the course and a magenta line. If you know the fix, you can do the same by entering into the search bar before selecting the fix and direct. However, you cannot double tap on a fix appearing on a georeferenced approach plate to get the course.

If your question is whether an inbound course on the actual hold can be selected, it depends. If you can identify 2 fixes composing the inbound leg, such as an IAF to an IF, or vice versa on, for example, a GPS IAP, then yes by entering the two fixes into the search bar which creates a flight plan with a magenta line on the map.

Of course, once at the fix defining the hold on the approach, the FLYQ georeferenced approach plate shows you where you are in relation to the inbound course segment. However, I'm usually following the approach procedure on my IFR navigator and HSI.

major, I think Kobra us asking about a feature that will, regardless if other points, create a magenta line extending from, say the 080 radial off a VOR. So long as you specify a distance, it's easy enough to to in ForeFlight and WingX. I don't do it for holds but I use the feature for some ODPs. It's a simple route from, say VOR08010 to VOR that creates a waypoint at the VOR 080 degree radial 10 nm from the VOR and draws a line to the VOR.

Sorry I can't help with FlyQ. You might give it a try abd see.i think it's becoming a bit if a standard. It think tha Android app I use fir backup has the same ability.

Mark, with my hands I could not do it using various formats off a VOR using a distance. Using points however, I could double tap over a point to create a user defined waypoint, or I could put the long/lat for any waypoint and create the magenta that way.

Interesting. I'm not sure whether any method would work particularly well in flight but guestimating the location with a double-tap is too likely to be off and entering lat/longs sounds like a heck of a lot of calculating (to convert that radial/distance to a lat/long) and typing to be of much real world use.

As I mentioned, I've only used the functionality for ODPs that have, say a climb on a heading or course to a certain altitude before a turn but that's done on the ground as part of preflight planning, not in the air.

No guarantees, but the feature below (as explained in the FlyQ FAQ), combined with the earlier suggestions, might be a way to get where you want:
---

You can enter a lat/lon as relative to a navaid or fix by using the navaid or fix ident, a slash, a radial (or bearing for a fix), and a distance in NM. For example:

• SEA/87/35
  • This is the point 35 NM along the 87 radial from the SEA VOR. If a fix is used instead of a navaid, the first number is a magnetic bearing rather than a radial.
And you can find the intersection of radials from two navaids as follows:

• SEA104/TCM74
  • This is where the 104 radial from SEA meets the 74 radial from TCM. It also happens to be the RADDY fix.

Using this syntax, your suggestions work for the most part. The caveat is that for some reason, intersecting radials using the HFD VOR are off by 10-20 miles or the radial off of HFD is off, but other VOR intersections and distances I tried work fine.

Bug reported.

Last edited:
Back