Flying with another student pilot? Allowed?

Yeah, not even a question.

Correct. If a student pilot is in an aircraft with another occupant, that other person MUST be an appropriately rated/qualified pilot and operating as PIC. The student is the passenger.

Under the current rules, unseparated siamese twins could never meet the requirements to get a PPL.

No it's not. We had this phone conversation already like a year ago.

Work through your flowchart with the following variables:

I am a student, with a student certificate. I am taking my check ride and the DPE is with me. Can I log PIC?

Yeah, on that one occasion, you can. Whats funny, is you've spent 7 years trying to break it.

Wrong. There is more than one scenario where the student is PIC - and it involves a passenger. Think about it.

Nope, at that point the flight operated without a PIC. Still not kosher, but there is a difference even if subtle.
Yes, there is the DE scenario, but let the plane crash and see who the feds go after as PIC.

Last edited:
Wait, why couldn't conjoined twins become pilot(s)?

Nope, at that point the flight operated without a PIC. Still not kosher, but there is a difference even if subtle.
Yes, there is the DE scenario, but let the plane crash and see who the feds go after as PIC.

I was explicitly told I was to be PIC for the flight by every DPE on each check ride where I couldn't legally be PIC with a passenger. Seeing as they were, and you aren't, I'll side with them.

I was explicitly told I was to be PIC for the flight by every DPE on each check ride where I couldn't legally be PIC with a passenger. Seeing as they were, and you aren't, I'll side with them.

I already said that and you said there was another.

Wait, why couldn't conjoined twins become pilot(s)?

They can. Conjoined twins form a single entity with two heads. Nowhere does it say that a two headed pilot is not allowed.

Is the other student pilot pilot in command with a solo signoff?

If yes, then you are not PIC and cannot use your solo signoff

If no, then you are PIC and he is a passenger.

Logic?

Solo = 1 PIC all alone

I read a story about a student that had been signed off for solo and was using his plane to commute and racked up a ton of hours before his checkride.

I racked up tons of hours before my checkride, but by CFI endorsement I could only fly on own within 25nm to two specific airports.

Every Cross Country, and there were a handful really far, required CAVU, daylight, and my CFI signing off on my flight plan.

See what happens when you look things up on your own, instead of saying "where?" :)

It is absolutely legal for two (PPL) student pilots to be in a plane at the same time without a CFI.

Wait for it...

As long as the plane is a Light Sport and one of them has a Sport license.

It is absolutely legal for two (PPL) student pilots to be in a plane at the same time without a CFI.

Wait for it...

As long as the plane is a Light Sport and one of them has a Sport license.

Well kinda. The sport pilot would have to be PIC, and the other student couldn't log the time.

Back