Flying Wild Alaska, July 13

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Here we go!

Ariel to do her long XC Unakleet to Bethel and back. Narrator says the trip is 430 miles (no clarification if statute or nautical). But... But.... 430?!?!? :eek::eek: And her third time PIC in that 172?

Last edited:
Taxiing out... The shoulder portion of the seatbelt is behind her.

On a flight like this, in the G1000 equipped craft, is use of the autopilot permitted? (I know, not recommended when the pilot be practicing "traditional" methods of navigating)

I love the G1000 as much as anybody, and did my instrument training in one, but I still can't believe she's really switching to it right before her solo cross country and checkride. Just seems like overload for someone who was already struggling to stay ahead of the plane. I wonder how she handled the transition in "real life" and how much of it is warped by the tv editing.

On a flight like this, in the G1000 equipped craft, is use of the autopilot permitted? (I know, not recommended when the pilot be practicing "traditional" methods of navigating)

Shouldn't be any different than using an old Nav-O-Matic in a steam gauge plane. I.e., the instructor's requirements are probably no AP, but the FARs don't say anything specifically forbidding it that I know of.

Dang, a chartered 737 full of building materials to build a cabin? The flying business seems to be doing well in rural Alaska :)

Learned one thing.... Girls don't like *bleep* in a bucket.

At 0:48, there is an "under nose" view of the 172 ascending while over a runway. What is the clear tube flapping in the slipstream to the right of the nose wheel?

At 0:48, there is an "under nose" view of the 172 ascending while over a runway. What is the clear tube flapping in the slipstream to the right of the nose wheel?

I saw that too. My guess its the battery vent tube, but ive never seen one that long.

1. Anyone notice the closing credits - the 172 is supplied (loaned?) by Cessna.
2. I really can't believe that she does NO flight training while going to school in California.
3. Snug's wearing a Cessna cap.
4. Let's assume the shots from above looking down onto the 172 were NOT taken during the XC.
5. I wish I had that much coverage/assistance when I took my long XC.

Dang, a chartered 737 full of building materials to build a cabin? The flying business seems to be doing well in rural Alaska :)

Really? Is that the business they are in, the flying business? And the Kardashians are in the makeup business, right?

Did I hear correctly that she was 40 miles off course? How is that even possible?

The last couple episodes I've found myself thirsty and had to go get me some "Juice". :)

4. Let's assume the shots from above looking down onto the 172 were NOT taken during the XC.

Of course they were, right around the time she was 'lost' and nobody knew where she was ;) .

Why do they keep counting how many hours she needs, as if she's getting this done in exactly 40 hours? With months of no flying, is that even possible?

Did you see where they threw the drunk off the flight? Pretty mean of them to do that to me, :rofl:

He wasn't drunk

He was, well, just sort of
Mellow ...
(and ****ed after the one-one and being pointed towards the hangar -- but then just sat on a pile of pallets)

From what I understand of those parts of Alaska, bringing alcohol into the villages is very much a bad thing to do.

It looks like next week is the last of season 3 after 8 episodes and possibly the end of the series. Can anyone confirm? I thought it had high ratings for this type of show.

Pretty cool to see a 737 with a gravel landing kit on it, though. Those are pretty rare these days I believe.

Pretty cool to see a 737 with a gravel landing kit on it, though. Those are pretty rare these days I believe.

Notice that the engines were pure jet engines, not a typical commuter turbofan engines. Usually seen on older 737s ....wonder if its preferred in snow country?

Notice that the engines were pure jet engines, not a typical commuter turbofan engines. Usually seen on older 737s ....wonder if its preferred in snow country?

I believe only 737-200s can have gravel kits installed, so they're popular for flying into unimproved areas. The -200 is powered by a JT8D, which is not a pure turbojet but rather a low-bypass turbofan. Not nearly the same bypass ratio as modern high-bypass turbofans like those on the 737-800 etc.

BP, Might have been a P&W JT8D turbofan engine. I think only the JTBD and the CFM56 series was used in the 737. Not sure but, I do not think the 737 ever had a pure jet engine. By pure jet I assume you mean turbojet as opposed to turbofan. It is very possible I am wrong. Should be some 737 people here to chime in.

Not an expert on 737 power plants, MI is probably right that it is a low-bypass turbofan. Just happened to noticed the cigar shaped jet engine as opposed to the fat turbofans I see on current commuter 737s. I just thought that the narrower engine profile might have been to reduce potential FOD intake, particularly ice, in snow country operations.
Cheers.

I just thought that the narrower engine profile might have been to reduce potential FOD intake, particularly ice, in snow country operations.
Cheers.

Could very well be related to why there's a kit for gravel runways only available for the -200. The ground clearance on the later models appears much less, as you say. Either that, or there was a great need for the gravel STC when the -200 was the latest thing out there, and there's been no need to spend $$$ on developing an STC for newer models.

It is my understanding that the earlier 737 models have very good short-field capabilities and that the 'cigarette' engines are less prone to FOD than the large inlet turbofans with the 'squashed' cowlings. So while they have a healthy thirst, the lower capital outlay and better suitability for the marginal field operations will keep them around as freighters for a long time.

He wasn't drunk

He was, well, just sort of
Mellow ...
(and ****ed after the one-one and being pointed towards the hangar -- but then just sat on a pile of pallets)

Remember the passenger who stumbled going up the steps into the plane? Same guy. Tell him to take off the backpack before he squeezes down the aisle.

I love the G1000 as much as anybody, and did my instrument training in one, but I still can't believe she's really switching to it right before her solo cross country and checkride. Just seems like overload for someone who was already struggling to stay ahead of the plane. I wonder how she handled the transition in "real life" and how much of it is warped by the tv editing.

Shouldn't be any different than using an old Nav-O-Matic in a steam gauge plane. I.e., the instructor's requirements are probably no AP, but the FARs don't say anything specifically forbidding it that I know of.

I had to pass a written and oral test from my CFI before solo.

I had to be drilled on lost procedures and emergency landings. (Kinda thought those two things were a requirement)

I knew how to operate the radios.

I knew to write stuff down.

I had taken two dual cross countries with my CFI...and not just a few days before my solo XC.

But then I had over hundred hours in hi-perf when I soled and over 200 at PPL because I'm such an airhead. Had I only known that I would be automatically issued the PPL at 60 hours.

I've never been lost. Disoriented once or twice, yes.

I'm just glad that Ariel is flying so far away from me.

It's treated the same as smuggling drugs up there.

That's correct. Most of the villages have a TOTAL ban on alcohol. Where the guy was going, a jug costs about $300 because it is totally illegal. The pilot did that guy a big favor whether the guy realized it or not.

I had to pass a written and oral test from my CFI before solo.

I had to be drilled on lost procedures and emergency landings. (Kinda thought those two things were a requirement)

I knew how to operate the radios.

I knew to write stuff down.

I had taken two dual cross countries with my CFI...and not just a few days before my solo XC.

But then I had over hundred hours in hi-perf when I soled and over 200 at PPL because I'm such an airhead. Had I only known that I would be automatically issued the PPL at 60 hours.

I've never been lost. Disoriented once or twice, yes.

I'm just glad that Ariel is flying so far away from me.

I think you are being a little tough on her. Remember! This is all edited for suspense and drama. I doubt that anything she ACTUALLY did was much beyond the normal learning mistakes that many student pilots deal with on a regular basis.

That's correct. Most of the villages have a TOTAL ban on alcohol. Where the guy was going, a jug costs about $300 because it is totally illegal. The pilot did that guy a big favor whether the guy realized it or not.

That pilot placed him self in a very bad position. he now can be arrested for aiding and abetting a criminal.

he should have involved the police directly by radio that he had a drunk on board with a bottle. They would have met the aircraft and solved the problem.

Well he confiscated the bottle, so prevented the smuggling. I would put more faith in his knowledge of how "things are done" up there than in anybody else's (outside of Alaska) opinions on how things should be done.

Back