Flying while waiting on Med Cert

nab101eg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
IWRBF
I got my Private Pilots Cert many years ago, but have not flown in a number of years. I am now taking steps to get curent on everything and begin flying again. I even bought an interest in a plane. I have taken my medical exam but am waiting on FAA response regarding any special requirements. Must I have the Med Cert in hand before flyin with a CFI? Keep in mind, I already have my pilot cert and am just wanting to take lessons to "refresh" thoroughly. I do understand that I will have to have the Med Cert to checkride.

I got my Private Pilots Cert many years ago, but have not flown in a number of years. I am now taking steps to get curent on everything and begin flying again. I even bought an interest in a plane. I have taken my medical exam but am waiting on FAA response regarding any special requirements. Must I have the Med Cert in hand before flyin with a CFI? Keep in mind, I already have my pilot cert and am just wanting to take lessons to "refresh" thoroughly. I do understand that I will have to have the Med Cert to checkride.

As far as I'm aware, to fly WITH a CFI you do not need your medical. However you have to have it before you fly solo or with any passengers besides CFI.

You do not need a medical unless you are acting as PIC or as a required crewmember. You can fly with a CFI or with a friend who is a pilot who is willing to allow you to do the flying while he or she acts as the pilot in command.

And before it's asked, yes, you may log the time you are the sole manipulator of the controls as PIC time in your logbook.

:yeahthat:

Get back in the air. You can still fly, you just cannot ACT as PIC. Be aware that if you're flying in a rental with a pilot friend that he will probably have to be the one to rent the airplane, and he'll probably have to sit in the left seat, due to insurance requirements and rental agreements.

As others have said, you're good to go as long as there is another pilot at the controls is is capable (legally and physically) and willing to ACT as PIC. Make sure that they AR aware before the flight that they will be acting PIC!

You don't need a "checkride". You do need a flight review with a CFI. You do not need the medical to do that or to get signed off on the flight review.

You just need the medical if you plan to solo or carry passengers in an aircraft that does not qualify as an LSA (or glider...)

You don't need a "checkride". You do need a flight review with a CFI. You do not need the medical to do that or to get signed off on the flight review.

You just need the medical if you plan to solo or carry passengers in an aircraft that does not qualify as an LSA (or glider...)
Actually, absent the medical, he doesn't even need the flight review, but you're right. He can be sole manipulator with another PIC qualified pilot at a control station. Once he has the medical, he would then need a flight review, not a checkride.

Hopefully not opening up a can of worms, but even though you cannot legally act as PIC in this situation, can you still LOG PIC time when flying dual while waiting for your medical/SI?

YES. Any time you're the sole manipulator in an airplane in which you're rated, you can LOG the time as PIC. Of course, it might be a good idea to make a note that someone else was acting as PIC in the case where you're not getting dual from a CFI.

Hopefully not opening up a can of worms, but even though you cannot legally act as PIC in this situation, can you still LOG PIC time when flying dual while waiting for your medical/SI?
Yes, Mark answered in Post 3. Sole manipulator of the control logs time if your rated to fly the plane.

No problem, he was trying to head off another 100+ thread on logging.:D
..or start one :D.

Amazing thing. As little as maybe 3 years ago the logging question would have started a heated debate. Looks like it has been discussed enough, with the applicable FAA references, that it barely elicits a murmur.

How that for educational progress?

Actually, absent the medical, he doesn't even need the flight review, but you're right. He can be sole manipulator with another PIC qualified pilot at a control station. Once he has the medical, he would then need a flight review, not a checkride.

I needed a flight review without a medical.

And there is no need to wait for the medical to get the flight review (unless there is a risk that the medical will fall through.)

:yeahthat:

Get back in the air. You can still fly, you just cannot ACT as PIC. Be aware that if you're flying in a rental with a pilot friend that he will probably have to be the one to rent the airplane, and he'll probably have to sit in the left seat, due to insurance requirements and rental agreements.
Nothing say's the acting PIC must be in theleft seat.

I needed a flight review without a medical.

And there is no need to wait for the medical to get the flight review (unless there is a risk that the medical will fall through.)
You're right, you could do them in either order. They're both required in order to ACT as PIC.

Nothing say's the acting PIC must be in theleft seat.

Unless the rental agreement says so. Every FBO in my neck of the woods requires that, passed directly on from their insurer. Otherwise, the PIC in the right seat MUST have documented a right-seat checkout. One operator requires the checkout and a CFI cert, the others will check out a non-CFI in the right seat.

Of course, if either one of you own the airplane, you just need to check the insurance. You might be surprised to find that requirement in your policy.

..or start one :D.

Amazing thing. As little as maybe 3 years ago the logging question would have started a heated debate. Looks like it has been discussed enough, with the applicable FAA references, that it barely elicits a murmur.

How that for educational progress?

Small steps and repetition. It did take several thread and a flow chart IIRC.

Thanks for all the good info. It didnt take long for me to learn firsthand that this forum is a great resource. I am excited about the opportunity to "get back to flying" and appreciate the help.

Back