Flying west in an NA single

Hi Cowman.

Deviating from the general trend of the thread (i.e. flying to CA), but have you considered maybe flying out to maybe Sedona, AZ? You could deviate to the south a little and get there it looks like to me at around 9,600 msl or so, probably less. I haven't been there, but have heard Sedona is a beautiful place and a neat airport. You could see a lot of the west without having to fight the "traffic" in CA or having to sit in your airplane quite as long. Spend the extra time exploring around Sedona. Just a thought for consideration.

Hi Cowman.

Deviating from the general trend of the thread (i.e. flying to CA), but have you considered maybe flying out to maybe Sedona, AZ? You could deviate to the south a little and get there it looks like to me at around 9,600 msl or so, probably less. I haven't been there, but have heard Sedona is a beautiful place and a neat airport. You could see a lot of the west without having to fight the "traffic" in CA or having to sit in your airplane quite as long. Spend the extra time exploring around Sedona. Just a thought for consideration.
We recently drove up to Sedona from Phoenix. One of the best places to watch the sunset or sunrise in that absurdly beautiful place is the airport. There is a nice quaint hotel on the plateau next to the airport with fireplaces in the rooms, a hot tub, etc. For sunset and sunrise there is a parking lot nearby on the plateau and you'll be jockeying for views with people with $15,000 lenses on their cameras. If I were flying west and needed to plan an overnight stop in that area, I would stop at Sedona and stay right there on the plateau.

Hi Cowman.

Definitely second the idea of stopping at Sedona. I just passed through there for lunch/fuel in the Beech 18 a couple weeks ago. It is one of the better airport restaurants and fuel was pretty reasonable too.

Fly down to El Paso then straight west. You'll have 0 problems with an archer on that route

Fly down to El Paso then straight west. You'll have 0 problems with an archer on that route
Other than wind. Every time I've flown that route the surface winds in the ELP area were blowing 25+. Doable, but not the most pleasant.

Back