Flying too much, got infection

Scud_072

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scud
Well, got my ticket May 17 and by July 12 I had flow 51 hours. At about 40 hours, I flew up to a place and did some serious hiking in an area known for having lots of ticks. About two days later, on my return flight home, I felt like I had been hit in the back of the neck with a baseball bat and could swear I had been bitten by a tic. Trouble was, I had to go on a weeks business trip (commercial) so I didn't see the doctor until I got back. I had everyone I know look at my head for tics... my wife, my daughter, my haircutter, and then the doctor. No tics. But I had an infection that went down my neck.

Turns out those places on my head where I thought I had gotten bit weren't from tics at all... the metal button on my baseball cap and the ends of my sunglasses had rubbed my scalp raw given the extra pressure from my headset and a bacteria had worked its way in. I figured it out about the time I had finished the perscription. I have since removed said button.

I don't wear a baseball cap, but I remember reading on here somewhere that pilots who do cut that stupid button out. But not for this reason (although it's a good one). Imagine hitting your head against the ceiling in turbulence with the button still there.

A buttonechtomy, we do that all the time to glider pilots that show up to fly with baseball caps.

I don't wear a baseball cap, but I remember reading on here somewhere that pilots who do cut that stupid button out. But not for this reason (although it's a good one). Imagine hitting your head against the ceiling in turbulence with the button still there.

Imagine hitting your head on a canopy (plexiglas) is a snug fitting glider. Single point stress on the canopy can shatter or at least crack it. Also a single point pressure on your head at a vulnerable spot could knock you down or at least seriously daze you.

I've pulled more of those stupid buttons off than I can remember. Why do they even out them on? Its just a decoration. It does nothing for the hat.

Well, got my ticket May 17 and by July 12 I had flow 51 hours. At about 40 hours, I flew up to a place and did some serious hiking in an area known for having lots of ticks. About two days later, on my return flight home, I felt like I had been hit in the back of the neck with a baseball bat and could swear I had been bitten by a tic. Trouble was, I had to go on a weeks business trip (commercial) so I didn't see the doctor until I got back. I had everyone I know look at my head for tics... my wife, my daughter, my haircutter, and then the doctor. No tics. But I had an infection that went down my neck.

Turns out those places on my head where I thought I had gotten bit weren't from tics at all... the metal button on my baseball cap and the ends of my sunglasses had rubbed my scalp raw given the extra pressure from my headset and a bacteria had worked its way in. I figured it out about the time I had finished the perscription. I have since removed said button.

Do you use a DC headset?

That's why aviation baseball caps, at least those ordered by organizations and retailers without cranial-rectitus, don't have squatchees!

Last edited:
Imagine hitting your head on a canopy (plexiglas) is a snug fitting glider. Single point stress on the canopy can shatter or at least crack it. Also a single point pressure on your head at a vulnerable spot could knock you down or at least seriously daze you.

I'm also pretty sure that canopy is the most expensive part on my glider!

With my Halo headset, I can wear any hat-- button or not, wide brimmed, my wool Indiana Jones hat in winter, etc., without worried. They don't squeeze my glasses into my head, either. Best flying gear I have ever bought!

I like to think that if my hat was rubbing my scalp raw I might notice and remove said hat? :confused:

So yes... performed buttonechtomy.... and then read the latest issue of Plane and Pilot where the guy in the back wrote about it... I LOVE LEARNING!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back