Flying Tomorrow Morning To Monterey

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I've never done this before, but the plane is free ALL DAY on New Years Day, and my last two planned flights have been scrapped due to weather, and I thought "what the heck why not."

It is 9pm and I just had the idea to fly South to Monterey. I've never flown anywhere that far away before since my long solo XC (It is about 100nm), and I've never flown anywhere to "do" something before (lunch, etc). The BF and I would go there, rent a car (not sure about that), and visit the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Several questions:

In my training, when planning a cross country, I always thought 3,500 and above, no matter what (even, odd, etc). But when you fly from Petaluma towards Half Moon Bay, they often tell you to stay clear of the Bravo (and DON'T give VFR pilots a transition), which puts you below 2,000 feet out over open water.

So can you simply fly the coast, below 3,000 feet? And would you? I know it might not be recommended, but it seems much more scenic, avoids terrain and airspace issues, etc. etc. etc. And if you look at the route from Petaluma to Monterey, it won't add that many extra miles. And I certainly can't get lost following the coast line.

I'm not home, so I don't have my FAR / AIM, etc. I don't even have my plotter or flight plan sheets, I'm going to have to use online tools for the first time!

Of course, I rarely go to class "C" airports, and without my AFD I'm going to rely on AirNav for frequencies etc..... this is going to be a challenge for sure but not beyond my abilities.

My "dream" flight, if weather cooperates. Fingers crossed. So far, the IFR isn't predicted to clear until after 11am but I'll keep my eyes on it tomorrow.

Anyone ever been to Monterey? Is it a pretty busy airport? I need to figure out information on where to park etc and if they would like me to buy gas I can do that too.

Don't over plan it, stay out of the "B" go VFR and have fun.

First tip, for easy cross-country planning - fltplan.com. It's good stuff, and it's free! (And the navlog will give you all the freqs you need, as well as easily allowing you to print the airport diagram, if you so desire).

We go to Monterey quite often. It's a great little airport - friendly controllers, easy taxi layout, and lots of restaurants near by. We usually park at the Monterey Jet Center (http://www.montereyjetcenter.com/) but I've been to Del Monte and Bay Aviation, too. They're all quite nice, but I'm somewhat partial to the Jet Center as they have free ice cream in the freezer by the TV (among many other free things kept on the front desk). And they're really good about lending out crew cars for a quick lunch run (I'd bet they'd let you keep it long enough to see the aquarium, too).

FWIW, I wouldn't have any compunction about flying the coast below 3,000, but do whatever YOU'RE comfortable with. I don't see what it wouldn't be recomended, either. Doing my cross countries in Iowa, I don't think I EVER got above 3,000 for anything!

Oh yeah, and what Tom said. :yesnod:

We used to go to Monterey quite often and used Monterey Jet because the owner of the airplane also owned part of the FBO. Monterey is not that busy for a Class D. You should have no problem.

Hope you don't get shut out by the marine layer. We tried to go to Santa Barbara tonight but we had to divert to Camarillo because KSBA was reporting 1/4 mile 1000 RVR. It was unforecast.... until they amended the forecast.

Please post a trip report when you get back. The wife and I are thinking about going down to Half Moon Bay.

Please post a trip report when you get back. The wife and I are thinking about going down to Half Moon Bay.

Teller and I went to Half Moon Bay late at night, in the dark. I loved it. Not sure where you are departing from but you should do the Bay Tour on your way there. During the day, I've been the passenger of another pilot who did many landings there and I was blown away by how beautiful that airport and surrounding areas were.

If I go tomorrow, my passenger will DEFINITELY take pictures and / or videos, and if it is affordable I'd love to shoot a landing or two at Half Moon Bay, but I probably won't.

Don't over plan it, stay out of the "B" go VFR and have fun.

Thanks, that's kind of the idea. I used to spend hours planning my cross countries, and I want this to be more of a just go and have fun thing.

Kimberly

I notice there appears to be a small segment of Class B shelf extending out a few miles over the ocean and down to 1500 near Rockaway Beach and Pacifica (if I'm reading the TAC chart correctly.) You'll need to either fly a few miles out or go under 1500 ft there

Also, various segments will likely take you over marine sanctuaries, so you may want to fly at least at 2000 AGL to avoid annoying anyone.

Fortunately there should be a fair number of beaches on that coastal route that can be used as emergency landing sites, so if you stay within a mile or two of the coast you should have plenty of options most of the time.

My wife and I used to live in Aptos (south of Santa Cruz) and walk the beaches there. I noticed flying low along the Monterery coast seemed to be quite a popular thing to do, so keep your eyes open for traffic doing the same kind of tour. Lots of pilots flew very low over the ocean in that area - so low at times that if one was at the top of the cliffs overlooking the beaches, you sometimes had to look down to watch the airplanes pass! (The few times I witnessed that, they were low enough over surfers and boats to be illegal.)

Hope the weather cooperates with your plans!

Oh - and saw on the 100 hour test pilot thread where you got to take your dad up at least around the pattern. Glad to see he approved! He should have - as I pointed out in another thread - as a woman pilot, you're a rare bird!

First tip, for easy cross-country planning - fltplan.com. It's good stuff, and it's free! (And the navlog will give you all the freqs you need, as well as easily allowing you to print the airport diagram, if you so desire).

We go to Monterey quite often. It's a great little airport - friendly controllers, easy taxi layout, and lots of restaurants near by. We usually park at the Monterey Jet Center (http://www.montereyjetcenter.com/) but I've been to Del Monte and Bay Aviation, too. They're all quite nice, but I'm somewhat partial to the Jet Center as they have free ice cream in the freezer by the TV (among many other free things kept on the front desk). And they're really good about lending out crew cars for a quick lunch run (I'd bet they'd let you keep it long enough to see the aquarium, too).

FWIW, I wouldn't have any compunction about flying the coast below 3,000, but do whatever YOU'RE comfortable with. I don't see what it wouldn't be recomended, either. Doing my cross countries in Iowa, I don't think I EVER got above 3,000 for anything!

Oh yeah, and what Tom said. :yesnod:

Matt, as always, thank you. I did a POA search for Monterey (haven't looked at my sectional yet or AirNav) and found the following:

1. Alt restrictions above sanctuary (2000 requested, 1000 required)

2. Someone recommending "Del Monte" aviation but warning they charge $25 for landing fees.

Thanks for name dropping the other FBO's. I will call them all tomorrow morning since after taxes a rental car is over $50 and the aquarium is less than 6 driving miles away so it really doesn't make sense.... I could take a cab, or perhaps a crew car, or ask them to drop us off, for WAY less than a rental car. And without a rental car there is less to worry about.

I am STOKED about the flight and the fact that the BF is NUTS about reef tanks (even was once the vice president of his reef club) but has NEVER been to the world famous aquarium. If you know anyone that has large salt water tanks in your house, you'll know they can be an obsession.

Kimberly

Ask the FBOs if they have coupons for the aquarium. Monterey Jet used to have seasons passes but I'm not sure if they do that any more.

I notice there appears to be a small segment of Class B shelf extending out a few miles over the ocean and down to 1500 near Rockaway Beach and Pacifica (if I'm reading the TAC chart correctly.) You'll need to either fly a few miles out or go under 1500 ft there

Also, various segments will likely take you over marine sanctuaries, so you may want to fly at least at 2000 AGL to avoid annoying anyone.

Fortunately there should be a fair number of beaches on that coastal route that can be used as emergency landing sites, so if you stay within a mile or two of the coast you should have plenty of options most of the time.

My wife and I used to live in Aptos (south of Santa Cruz) and walk the beaches there. I noticed flying low along the Monterery coast seemed to be quite a popular thing to do, so keep your eyes open for traffic doing the same kind of tour. Lots of pilots flew very low over the ocean in that area - so low at times that if one was at the top of the cliffs overlooking the beaches, you sometimes had to look down to watch the airplanes pass! (The few times I witnessed that, they were low enough over surfers and boats to be illegal.)

Hope the weather cooperates with your plans!

Oh - and saw on the 100 hour test pilot thread where you got to take your dad up at least around the pattern. Glad to see he approved! He should have - as I pointed out in another thread - as a woman pilot, you're a rare bird!

Thanks, but I wasn't expecting my Dad to have so many complements! Then again they let him loose at 30 hours so he remembers being less "steady" LOL.

Teller and I flew in the 172 that low, in the area you mentioned, since his REALLY GREAT radio skills, even at night, didn't get us a VFR Bravo clearance and they made us stay underneath all the way to Half Moon Bay. He got us through on the way back, though, so for a few miles I was in Bravo for the very first (and probably last) time!!!

I plan to get flight following, which should help with traffic, but I agree. When I was a passenger in the back of a Piper shooting multiple landings to Half Moon Bay and practicing maneuvers along the coast, I noticed MANY other planes near us.

I also plan to file a flight plan, something I haven't done in forever.

We used to go to Monterey quite often and used Monterey Jet because the owner of the airplane also owned part of the FBO. Monterey is not that busy for a Class D. You should have no problem.

Hope you don't get shut out by the marine layer. We tried to go to Santa Barbara tonight but we had to divert to Camarillo because KSBA was reporting 1/4 mile 1000 RVR. It was unforecast.... until they amended the forecast.

Tonight, tomorrow, and the next night are saying clear in Monterey. What will hold me up is the marine layer in Petaluma. I'll have to check the updated Santa Rosa TAF tonight but the briefer told me it is going to be my determining factor. He also said there is Tuley (spelling?) fog in the Central Valley tomorrow so I can't plan a trip to places like Sacramento, etc.

Ask the FBOs if they have coupons for the aquarium. Monterey Jet used to have seasons passes but I'm not sure if they do that any more.

Wow, great idea, hadn't thought of that, and paying full price plus food etc can get pricey. Honestly I'm only doing all this because I have some extra money and I haven't - in my mind - fully exercised my PPL except with you and Teller (pilots). This will be a true PIC experience, without any help from my passenger. A real confidence booster. And it would take us 3-4 hours in a car so a time saver too!

Kim-

CJane and I did just this flight (O69 to MRY) in 2003, lots of fun, and we just flew along the coast. NorCal (they had *just* changed from being called "Bay Approach") was very helpful.

We took a cab, it was not too much and much easier than jacking around with rental and traffic and parking.

Coming back, completely unforecast marine layer threatened to give us trouble, but we were able to work our way in through the valleys, safely and without much difficulty.

Great trip, hope to be back again.

Kim-

CJane and I did just this flight (O69 to MRY) in 2003, lots of fun, and we just flew along the coast. NorCal (they had *just* changed from being called "Bay Approach") was very helpful.

We took a cab, it was not too much and much easier than jacking around with rental and traffic and parking.

Coming back, completely unforecast marine layer threatened to give us trouble, but we were able to work our way in through the valleys, safely and without much difficulty.

Great trip, hope to be back again.

Spike, thank you, and happy New Year. My Dad remarked today on the phone, after thanking me again for the short flight around the pattern, how RELAXED I was in the 152 yesterday. I hope that I can remain relaxed tomorrow since I won't lie, I'm nervous about the radio work and "finding the airport" and the planning, weather, etc. I try not to think of the other stuff (what can go wrong in a rental), since I'll just have to deal with that as it happens. I've had radio issues in the 152 before, but I have 2 radios, two cell phones, and even a $30 handheld radio (doesn't transmit).

(And of course that time I lost two cylinders on takeoff.....)

A pilot on the Purple Board said:

"I think it sounds like a great flight.

If the weather cooperates, I'd fly O69-HAF-CA66-MRY. That's 107 NM. Going south, I'd fly by the Golden Gate Bridge at 2500, which is below the 3000' Bravo shelf. On the other side of the bridge, I'd descend to 1500', follow the shoreline south, and descend to 1200' or maybe even 1000' by the time I was abeam Daly City, to clear the 1500' section of the Bravo. If I didn't have an aviation GPS with me, I'd just descend to 1000' after the Bridge and fly along the shoreline until I was approaching HAF. At that point, I'd likely climb to 3000' and fly to CA66 at that altitude and then turn south to MRY.

However, what I'd really do first is see if I could get flight following through the Bravo. That would make things easier.

Be very careful of the weather. If there's a marine layer, then it may be time for plan B, which might be O69-CCR-LVK-MRY, which happens to be exactly the same distance."

And then he asked (and I will research):

"Have you considered landing at OAR instead of MRY? It might be more fun, might be cheaper, and it might be easier. It's still only 8 miles away from downtown Monterey."

Like has already been said-
  • don't over think this flight
  • fly the coast, avoid Bravo
  • Monterey Jet
The jet center has cookies, aquairum tix (free), and crew car. I usually avoid jet centers but this one gets consistent high marks.
Oh yeah, keep your head on a swivel south of the GG bridge. Basically a pinch point for VFR traffic.

Last edited:
  • Monterey Jet
The jet center has cookies, aquairum tix (free), and crew car. I usually avoid jet centers but this one gets consistent high marks.
Oh yeah, keep your head on a swivel south of the GG bridge. Basically a pinch point for VFR traffic.

I thought tickets were $50 - $60. I'll call them in the morning, their site says they have bicycles (worst case). Saving $50 would be great. Thanks!

I only did a stop and go at Oakland (class C). I remember contacting approach who eventually handed me off to tower. I never left the runway.

So tomorrow:

Approach (far out)

Tower

Ground

(Park Plane).

When we come back, do I contact departure before ground? I've never done that before and I can think of perhaps only less than 4 times I've ever turned on an airplane and had to talk to ANYBODY..... I will have to tell my passenger to be very quiet during all this, for sure. Lots to do / remember. And heck if I know that what I say will come out the right way. This is kind of why I wanted to explore the thought of avoiding a class C airport. I am so bad with the radios. Then again, what better day to jump off the deep end than New Years day, when hopefully they will be less busy.

If there's a marine layer, then it may be time for plan B, which might be O69-CCR-LVK-MRY, which happens to be exactly the same distance."

This is the route I took earlier in the fall. Given that the distances were the same, I opted not to deal with the altitude restrictions on the west side of the bravo.

Have a great trip.

I only did a stop and go at Oakland (class C). I remember contacting approach who eventually handed me off to tower. I never left the runway.

So tomorrow:

Approach (far out)

Tower

Ground

(Park Plane).

When we come back, do I contact departure before ground? I've never done that before and I can think of perhaps only less than 4 times I've ever turned on an airplane and had to talk to ANYBODY..... I will have to tell my passenger to be very quiet during all this, for sure. Lots to do / remember. And heck if I know that what I say will come out the right way. This is kind of why I wanted to explore the thought of avoiding a class C airport. I am so bad with the radios. Then again, what better day to jump off the deep end than New Years day, when hopefully they will be less busy.

One amendment:
ATIS
Approach
Tower
Ground (if assigned, sometimes Tower will work you all the way to the ramp, or tell you just just "monitor ground."

Make sure you check in with Approach with the current ATIS code, though.

On the way out:
ATIS
Clearance Delivery
Ground
Tower
Departure

The ATIS MAY say something along the lines of "all aircraft contact Ground for clearance" if they're running combined freqs, or it may say "VFR departures contact Clearance delivery on ---.-- prior to taxi," or it may say nothing at all, in which case just call CD with the ATIS code and tell them what you want.

Make sure you have a pad of paper handy, and if you have ANY questions about your clearance or taxi route or anything, don't hesitate to ask! They'd much rather you ask once or twice than wonder off somewhere they don't want you.

Why not just go over the Bravo if your uncomfortable under 3K, what is the ceiling there 6K?

Without asking, they cleared me through Bravo (on the way there). On the way back I sort of asked for it, but I was super worried about the weather. The briefer said the updated TAF predicted IFR by 9pm.....

More to come tomorrow, I'm DONE for the day. Many small mistakes, as predicted, but I'm home in one piece. Thanks to all the controllers, so wonderful, as always, with my questions / mistakes / requests for repeats.

I am not ashamed of my beginner mistakes and will post a full trip report with photos soon.

Goodnight,

Kimberly

Without asking, they cleared me through Bravo (on the way there). On the way back I sort of asked for it, but I was super worried about the weather. The briefer said the updated TAF predicted IFR by 9pm.....

More to come tomorrow, I'm DONE for the day. Many small mistakes, as predicted, but I'm home in one piece. Thanks to all the controllers, so wonderful, as always, with my questions / mistakes / requests for repeats.

I am not ashamed of my beginner mistakes and will post a full trip report with photos soon.

Goodnight,

Kimberly

Kim, you are right where I was when I did the same flight, sounds like you did better than I. Beginner mistakes are how you learn, so you can make not-beginner mistakes, and feel dopey like me.

Glad you had fun!

Goodnight,

Kimberly
Mistakes? what Mistakes? you went, you had fun, you got back OK, What mistakes ?

"mistakes" are unplanned actions/lack of actions. But Spike and Tom spoke of the right attitude.

Carry on, bend no metal, break no rules.

I will wait until I get home tonight, where there are pictures to back up my stories, but the clearance through Bravo with SFO jets swarming all around me was epic.

I have been one of those stay at home people for many years now, not doing much / gettting out due to lack of money etc. I will say that it is so worth it to just save up and do big things. The feeling of accomplishment was overwhelming this morning and has already inspired me to do better in other areas of my life. Getting things done that once seemed impossible / too difficult to even attempt is a huge confidence booster. It makes you feel like you can really take life head on and face any future challenges.

Part One: Flight from untowered airport Petaluma (O69) to Class Charlie airport Monterey (MRY)

This all started at dinner on New Years Eve. I had reserved the plane for New Years Day (starting at 11am since according to the weather briefer that was when KSTS’s TAF said the IFR conditions would clear).

The only reason I reserved the plane was because it was available all day (unheard of) and my last two flights had been scrapped due to weather (my uncle from LA’s Bay Tour and my Dad’s Bay Tour)…. So I had a few extra dollars to my name left over from the flying budget.

Over sushi I decided to try and download a free aviation app on my android to look at a sectional. Scrolling down past Half Moon Bay, I saw Monterey. That is the place (including Carmel) I used to go for a weekend getaway, so where better? Only problem: all my “cross country tools” were in my apartment, an hour away. No plotter, no AFD, no flight plan (worksheet), no nothing. I was going to have to use the internet. On the other hand, I couldn’t “get lost” since all I had to do was follow the coast, right?

Every pilot I’ve ever met says I need to quit thinking so much and “just go” so I did very little planning. I printed out the airnav airport page with the runway information, I printed the PDF from the FAA (airport diagram with taxi layout), and I talked to Teller (pep talk) who reminded me about “clearance delivery” (never done that before) and fltplan.com. I knew the nm was close to my long cross country back in training so I checked my logbook and estimated it would be the same – 3.0 hobbs hours. (And it was, almost exactly).

I woke up and decided I should have left earlier since I felt unsure about a night flight back over dark open ocean waters. That predicted morning IFR was non existent and even at 9am everyone was VFR. I called the briefer and filed two flight plans – one going there and one coming back – and got a standard, preflight weather briefing. Still the “perfect” day to fly but with a new twist – an Airmet enroute for the area (IFR) – the briefers looked at their satellites and as usual said it was “clear” which of course disagreed with the airmet, as always.

I had so much to do (printouts etc) and though I tried to rush out the boyfriend and I had to take care of the dogs, coffee, breakfast, etc. and didn’t get to Petaluma until after 11am. One thing I did was call an FBO recommended by POA to see if they had crew cars, aquarium tickets, etc. (I knew I had to pick one because I would have to tell the airport where I was parking.) There were a few unexpected events, such as a misunderstanding (they were closed and had not left a spare headset for me in the lock box) – but thank goodness a CFI showed up and unlocked the flight school for me to borrow one. If not I guess my boyfriend would have gone without a headset which would have sucked big time. I need to get a passenger headset, sheesh.

I was stoked but knew the responsibilities. I knew I’d be flying somewhat low, over open water, etc etc etc. So after a few more hold ups (the bathrooms were locked, we had to go across the airport to another bathroom, the two gas pumps were full for what seemed like forever)….

Around 11:40am I filled up with gas (self serve of course):

6626560137_698f50f42e_b.jpg

I was late. And I was really worried about having almost NO TIME to see the aquarium if I wanted to fly back with any daylight at all. I love night flying but I wasn't sure a long night cross country would be a good idea at this point, because a lot of the coastal areas / mountains aren't well lit at night and the fog / haze seemed to be a factor flying in. Even though I was running at least an hour behind schedule, I briefed my boyfriend that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was he to rush me or ask why it was taking so long or wonder when the heck we were going to get there. I told him we would be there when we are there, and that there were predicted 16 knot headwinds (according to my flight plan from online).

I hopped in the plane, scrambling through way too many printouts for the things I needed and scribbled them on a tiny clipboard:

Petaluma AWOS freq (I know this one by heart)
Petaluma CTAF freq (I know this too)
Oakland Radio freq (to open my flight plan)
Oakland Center freq (to start my flight following)
The freq for the approach (purple ring around airport) even though I knew I’d probably be handed off to them automatically
Monterey tower freq
Monterey ground freq

Started the non-GPS version of Google Maps on my android to save battery (first time trying this in a plane), got out the sectional and TAF, and off we went.

Oh, and before / during all this (my “non planned” cross country) my boyfriend was saying how much work it was. I reminded him what work a REAL cross country is, fuel planning, way points, precise timing, measurements, etc…. I commented this is why some pilots never make it past the “fun” parts of training, due to “all the work”.

There were stronger than normal winds, and they were straight down the opposite from usual runway. It was strange to taxi to runup at the “wrong” end but it shot me out towards the south which was helpful. Oh and I forgot to mention, an airmet for moderate turbulence. Yikes.

I tuned in to Oakland Radio to activate my flight plan and then to Oakland Center to activate flight following.

As I climbed out I stayed clear of Novato’s pattern / area (a very close by airport), then headed towards the coast while still flying south. Saw what that Airmet for IFR was all about and got a bit concerned (I’m used to “perfect” days). This is what I saw:

6626562259_6f7cd20aa8_z.jpg

I can’t even count how many times I was passed off from one frequency to another throughout the round trip, and I even asked stupid questions such as what the name was of the new people (as in “is that Nor Cal Approach also?”) so I would greet the next controllers correctly.

Then, out of the blue near the Golden Gate Bridge, they asked me if I would be taking a Bay Tour. When I said something plain English like “No, I’m flying down the coast, VFR, directly to Monterey” they CLEARED ME THROUGH THE BRAVO at 3500 feet - ! I didn’t even ask. Of course I had to read back their instructions, which were something like stay west of San Francisco and West of the something or other VOR through the Bravo. Stupidly I said (and looking back I have NO IDEA WHY I didn’t glance at my sectional) “I’m not familiar with that VOR – if I stay off the coast will that work?” I could tell immediately they were annoyed and they only repeated what they said before – stay west of the VOR. Darn it. Anyhow, this is when things got exciting. All of a sudden I see jets EVERYWHERE. The closest one, at first, was flying right above us:

6626563807_a51dcfee78_z.jpg

That was really cool, and I continued to watch jets in all directions (and the briefers also asked me to verify I saw these other planes – how could I not), while trying my best to hold steady at 3500 and keep a pretty predictable flight path, off the coast, especially to avoid the often busy traffic pattern of Half Moon Bay, a coastal airport.

6626561055_8997e64bb6_z.jpg

Then, in a brisk tone, a briefer asked me to climb 500 feet immediately. I read this back right away, adding that I’d be climbing 500 feet to go from 3500 to 4000. I then heard him tell me that he was RESTRICTING A JET BELOW ME – he even asked the jet to report ME in sight! This guy was making jets go around tiny me! The plane came so close but I knew I had to trust ATC and stay at exactly 4000. This was a photo – you can see every detail on the plane as it flies below us. Holy crap. I felt like a million bucks. SFO jets moving around me?!

6626568097_cd186a11d9_b.jpg

6626570681_0233a1d4cb_z.jpg

They told me to descend back to 3500 again and never did tell me when I was clear of the Bravo but I think they handed me off to another frequency and then the new guy warned he might lose me (not voice but radar). This entire time there were between 1-4 small airplanes around me which made me nervous since they were manuevering and lower than I was. Such a busy place to fly, ATC constantly calling out traffic for me, so crazy. When he did lose radar contact he asked me to try another frequency in about a mile or two but until then to squak 1200 again. I kept trying the new frequency but then remembered when I can hear the voice of PILOTS but not CONTROLLERS it means the mountains are in my way and I either need to climb or wait. I had gone down lower for my boyfriend to take photos (and he’d been helping with maps / verifying where I was etc) but I told him I needed more altitude.

Here are some of the photos he took:

6626578429_13a5ca7e38_z.jpg

6626579821_b7edaf401a_z.jpg

He didn’t like that but I would rather have ATC flight following than not. I went back up and sure enough they came in loud and clear. Good thing too since I kept thinking I was close to the purple circle around class C. (But in reality I’m nowhere near it and I think I’m scaring my passenger by asking to see the map / figure out where we are. I never used the cell phone map, I wanted to be old school). I wonder when / if I’ll have the airport in sight because I know it is near the Santa Cruz area and we have spotted the famous Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, including roller coaster:

6626581407_3eccc1c344_z.jpg

So now I’m worried about the runways which I don’t yet have in sight and I pull out the airport diagram. I turn the paper around to get my bearings. I have obtained ATIS (while I was without ATC) but I know it is about to switch over to the next hour’s ATIS. I hear they are landing on both the little and big runways, on the side opposite the ocean. So I’m expecting a downwind entrance. I am on again with ATC and finally have the airport in sight WAY OUT. Kind of hard to miss:

6626583613_2077190fee_z.jpg

----------------------

(I’ve got to go to bed. More tomorrow and my “almost” runway incident…. Yikes)

Part One: Flight from untowered airport Petaluma (O69) to Class Charlie airport Monterey (MRY)
---------------------- big snip------

(I’ve got to go to bed. More tomorrow and my “almost” runway incident…. Yikes)

Pretty cool! Good for you - in retrospect, it wasn't all that hard, was it? Glad you had fun!

Gary

Good job Kimberley!

Staying away from the big jets is a good thing. Next time get familiar with the VOR's along your route of flight. Some instructors liken VFR Flight Following, as "IFR light" meaning you must know VOR's and follow instructions, and communicate WELL.

VOR's are ATC's primary way of knowing where you are and controlling your route of flight so when they tell you to go to one or stay west of one, you should be able to do it. Not a slam, you did fine! Maybe get a GPS with the nearest VOR feature, which you can also look up if you don't recognize it.

Again, great job, and great pics!

If you are going to use flight following, I would not bother with a vfr flight plan. The controllers never see it, and flight following acts as a flight plan. The controllers know where you are, your destination, and if you suddenly disappear from their screen, they'll come a looking.

I use FF whenever possible.

And those people telling you to climb and descend are controllers, not briefers.

Congrats on really getting out there and using your ticket! I'm glad you had fun!

If you are going to use flight following, I would not bother with a vfr flight plan. The controllers never see it, and flight following acts as a flight plan. The controllers know where you are, your destination, and if you suddenly disappear from their screen, they'll come a looking.

I use FF whenever possible.

And those people telling you to climb and descend are controllers, not briefers.

Congrats on really getting out there and using your ticket! I'm glad you had fun!

yes:wink2: out here in the NY metro area, flight following is a blessing! I'll be using it for sure on my flight out to Block Island,RI in a couple of days.

Nice pictures. Looks like you had a nice flight.

Last edited:
Kim -

Great write up.

You do know, don't you, that controllers will not work with you like that if they don't get a good and professional "vibe" from you? Clearly, you are handling yourself very well and adding valuable pieces to your experience bag.

And, as for the increased confidence: you go, girl!

Every pilot I’ve ever met says I need to quit thinking so much and “just go” so I did very little planning.

For me, a lot depends on how familiar I am with the route I will be flying, as well as the compexity of the airspace. When I fly in the LA Basin, for example, I plan carefully!

• Monterey Jet

FYI the tickets, she said, were only 5 dollars off or less so the two came to over $50 in "fees" on my receipt. I went to this place because of your recommendation and don't regret it. What an awesome place. I'll explain more as I continue my writeup. Thank you for writing me so quickly and telling me where to go (and thanks to the others who recommended FBOs too).

Good job Kimberley!

Staying away from the big jets is a good thing. Next time get familiar with the VOR's along your route of flight. Some instructors liken VFR Flight Following, as "IFR light" meaning you must know VOR's and follow instructions, and communicate WELL.

VOR's are ATC's primary way of knowing where you are and controlling your route of flight so when they tell you to go to one or stay west of one, you should be able to do it. Not a slam, you did fine! Maybe get a GPS with the nearest VOR feature, which you can also look up if you don't recognize it.

Again, great job, and great pics!

Just wait until you hear about my huge VOR mistake going back (yikes). Worst case I'll finish the writeup tonight, after work. I need to make friends with VORs.

Back