Flying Tomorrow Morning To Monterey

If you are going to use flight following, I would not bother with a vfr flight plan. The controllers never see it, and flight following acts as a flight plan. The controllers know where you are, your destination, and if you suddenly disappear from their screen, they'll come a looking.

I use FF whenever possible.

And those people telling you to climb and descend are controllers, not briefers.

Congrats on really getting out there and using your ticket! I'm glad you had fun!

. . . again, need to continue the long story but GUESS WHO FORGOT TO CLOSE THEIR FLIGHT PLAN....... yikes. I nearly had a heart attack at the aquarium parking lot in my crew car from the FBO when I looked down and saw the missed call that I'd never heard THIRTY MINUTES EARLIER on my cell phone.

If you are going to use flight following, I would not bother with a vfr flight plan. The controllers never see it, and flight following acts as a flight plan. The controllers know where you are, your destination, and if you suddenly disappear from their screen, they'll come a looking.

The problem with that is that you can't count on always getting flight following. Sometimes the controllers are too busy, and there are gaps in radar coverage, especially here in the West. Did you notice that she flew through such a gap during her flight, and had to reestablish flight following afterwards? And I've head that it's not uncommon for pilots to terminate flight following without saying anything, so ATC doesn't always initiate a search.

I'm also not comfortable with telling other pilots not to use a safety-related service.

Kim -

Great write up.

You do know, don't you, that controllers will not work with you like that if they don't get a good and professional "vibe" from you? Clearly, you are handling yourself very well and adding valuable pieces to your experience bag.

And, as for the increased confidence: you go, girl!

No I did not know that. But in thinking about it - it sure would have been easier for them to just tell me to stay out of the Bravo. Perhaps you are right and they thought I would "work with them".

Kimberly

. . . again, need to continue the long story but GUESS WHO FORGOT TO CLOSE THEIR FLIGHT PLAN....... yikes. I nearly had a heart attack at the aquarium parking lot in my crew car from the FBO when I looked down and saw the missed call that I'd never heard THIRTY MINUTES EARLIER on my cell phone.

I've done that too, before I started using a trick one of my instructors taught me, which is to move my watch to my other wrist until I close it. It seems to work well as a reminder.

I'm also not comfortable with telling other pilots not to use a safety-related service.

good point. I guess an appropriate disclaimer would be to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing both ff and a flight plan.

And you're also right about the radar coverage. A flight plan is probably more important in her area. Around here i can expect radar coverage pretty much anywhere above 1000agl and if 7700 is selected, multiple approach controllers are going to have alarms going off.

good point. I guess an appropriate disclaimer would be to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing both ff and a flight plan.

And you're also right about the radar coverage. A flight plan is probably more important in her area. Around here i can expect radar coverage pretty much anywhere above 1000agl and if 7700 is selected, multiple approach controllers are going to have alarms going off.

I regularly lose them around here (high-ish mountains over 3000 or 4000 feet around me). The first time it happened was on my solo cross country and I freaked out a bit because I didn't know what was going on and I grabbed my sectional and kept switching to the CTAFs of the many airports on my way home to create my own "flight following" and listen for traffic in the area.

No I did not know that. But in thinking about it - it sure would have been easier for them to just tell me to stay out of the Bravo. Perhaps you are right and they thought I would "work with them".

Kimberly

If you are unsure about any instructions (like they are assuming you have GPS) or the stay west of xxx VOR you can ask them to suggest a heading that will keep you west of it. Just fly the heading while you get your bearings on the chart

If you are unsure about any instructions (like they are assuming you have GPS) or the stay west of xxx VOR you can ask them to suggest a heading that will keep you west of it. Just fly the heading while you get your bearings on the chart

I actually TOLD THEM on the way back (again, I need to finish my story) that I didn't have GPS. I did this because:

1. It was pitch black
2. I wasn't sure if there were any clouds in the sky (which probably means there weren't)
3. I'd been told to hurry home or it would be IFR 300ft ceilings so I was REALLY wanting a Bravo clearance at 3500 again directly over SF headed straight for my home airport with no detours. (And I totally got it, yay). I knew I'd have to be a slave to the weather at some point but I didn't realize how scared / focused I'd become on getting us home safely.

The coastal stratus is not entirely predictable. (I found this out the hard way!)

A few years ago I took off from an airport (RBD) just southeast of DFW, needing to go northwest. I was expecting to get vectored all over creation, but was cleared direct which took me right over DFW! Here I am putting along in a 172 with really big jets all around and landing below me. Very cool!

It gets easier the more you talk to controllers and can anticipate what they are going to ask of you. Sounds like you had a great flight.

When on FF, be sure to advise ATC of your descent. I know on these wonderful CAVU days you want to do some sight seeing or drop down for a pic, but imagine when you suddenly drop off the radar.

If they do lose radar contact, be sure to advise when you are back to your altitude. It's not a rule or reg, just a nicety.

Yes, ATC won't respond too well to you saying you are unfamiliar with a navaid or landmark. As pilot, you are expected to familiarize yourself. Use your tools (sectional chart, etc)

You get excellent marks for telling BF not to rush you. Outstanding PIC authority.

Looks like you had a great flight. BTW: that's Pigeon Point lighthouse.

Sorry about the misinformation on the aquarium tix. Twice the MJC offered em for free. I'd been to the aquarium so many times that the 2nd offer I turned down.

^ This brings up one question I have

When on flight following, I call up with my altitude and position. I've had some controllers say "VFR altitudes at your discretion, advise of any change" and some say nothing at all about altitude. I've had one or two who did not ask me to advise of altitude change jump down my throat for changing altitude and not telling them, and sometimes i've called up and told the controller I was going to change altitude and he/she acted like "why are you telling me this??"

Yeah. Sometimes with flight following, I feel like I've stepped into a club where I'm not quite familiar with the jargon and traditions, even though I try to do everything the way I was taught.

I think this is probably because there are loads of guidelines to follow regarding IFR communication - VFR flight following is less defined

My 'policy' now is to tell them when I change altitudes if they ask me to keep them advised, otherwise i'll just use the VFR altitudes as I please and not bother reporting a change in altitude (assuming I am not in class D, C or B airspace). If a controller jumps on me for this... well its just VFR flight following, I haven't broken any rules.

When on FF, be sure to advise ATC of your descent. I know on these wonderful CAVU days you want to do some sight seeing or drop down for a pic, but imagine when you suddenly drop off the radar.

If they do lose radar contact, be sure to advise when you are back to your altitude. It's not a rule or reg, just a nicety.

Yes, ATC won't respond too well to you saying you are unfamiliar with a navaid or landmark. As pilot, you are expected to familiarize yourself. Use your tools (sectional chart, etc)

You get excellent marks for telling BF not to rush you. Outstanding PIC authority.

Looks like you had a great flight. BTW: that's Pigeon Point lighthouse.

Sorry about the misinformation on the aquarium tix. Twice the MJC offered em for free. I'd been to the aquarium so many times that the 2nd offer I turned down.

Thanks, had to crash early last night and didn't finish my writeup. Staying up until 3am to post photos and the first part of the writeup the night before really took its toll. I wanted to get sleep since tonight I am meeting some POA pilots from out of town and even bringing them to my first EAA meeting!

About your post: I did not change my alt with FF. When they "let me go" told me "freq approved squak 1200" and "you might be able to pick up FF in a mile or two on such and such freq" I then went "offline" and did my photo taking, descent, etc. When on with FF like you said it is best to keep my course and alt steady since they are watching me and the more predictable I am the more they can help.

Kimberly

BTW, I didn't get the idea you were on FF. My comment was more of a general nature. However, you can climb or descend or scribe lazy circles to your heart's content when on FF. Just let ATC know.... Especially in mountainous terrain (pretty much most of CA).

Example: "Hey y'all, we'll be descending below 1,000." Or, "N1234X maneuvering present location." ATC will respond with, "Advise when back up." Some ATC may say something like, "That'll be fine pal.", in a voice like why did you call us?

Someday when you get super bold and wealthy enough :), you can fly down to KSBP for lunch at the best on field restaurant. (The best since Matthew's at PRB closed. :sad:)

The 94th Squadron at VNY has an excellent brunch. SeaVenture and Steamers is within walking distance of O52 Oceano. I mean, land, secure the plane, walk north on the sandy beach....you'd love it. Super friendly and super easy.

Last edited:
Kimberly, please finish your write-up.

Sorry I've been spending HOURS (there are 5-10 channels on LiveATC to listen to) trying to find the audio. I've found most of it but there were so many people talking you can't hear my responses (the dumb ones where I say I'm unfamiliar with VORs God I'm an idiot). It is cool to hear them tell me they are RESTRICTING a "heavy" below me. Also cool when they call a 747 or 777 as my traffic and I say "looking" - how can you not see a giant airplane? Oh and I even ask them to repeat a frequency. Gosh I sound like a rookie. He does say "thanks" since he made me climb and descend to get out of the way of a heavy, though, which is nice.

I spent today meeting with pilots and a professor from Japan who wants to bring more GA and electric planes to Japan. The EAA talked about the Green Flight Challenge with him and I learned a lot, almost got a flight in an RV12 and even met with a student pilot to give him some of my old books / training materials. He even joined POA. I've been busy!

BTW, I didn't get the idea you were on FF. My comment was more of a general nature. However, you can climb or descend or scribe lazy circles to your heart's content when on FF. Just let ATC know.... Especially in mountainous terrain (pretty much most of CA).

Example: "Hey y'all, we'll be descending below 1,000." Or, "N1234X maneuvering present location." ATC will respond with, "Advise when back up." Some ATC may say something like, "That'll be fine pal.", in a voice like why did you call us?

Someday when you get super bold and wealthy enough :), you can fly down to KSBP for lunch at the best on field restaurant. (The best since Matthew's at PRB closed. :sad:)

The 94th Squadron at VNY has an excellent brunch. SeaVenture and Steamers is within walking distance of O52 Oceano. I mean, land, secure the plane, walk north on the sandy beach....you'd love it. Super friendly and super easy.

I still laugh when I think back to my first few lessons. I was You Tube'ing daily and found "Catalina". Now that I know the cost and the dangers I'll probably never land there but I started telling everyone and their mother that was my dream flight. Now, I get just as much joy out of landing at a place like Monterey. When that (very cute) ramp guy put out the red carpet for me I actually asked him out loud if it was for me. I was floored. So every airport is special, right now, to me. No matter how close.

Catalina is a fun place to land. When I did it, I was in a single, so I spiralled up to get enough altitude so that I could glide to a shoreline if the engine conked out. The bus ride from the airport to the town was interesting too, being on a winding mountain road through fields of grazing buffalo.

I still laugh when I think back to my first few lessons. I was You Tube'ing daily and found "Catalina". Now that I know the cost and the dangers I'll probably never land there but I started telling everyone and their mother that was my dream flight. Now, I get just as much joy out of landing at a place like Monterey. When that (very cute) ramp guy put out the red carpet for me I actually asked him out loud if it was for me. I was floored. So every airport is special, right now, to me. No matter how close.

KA- never lose that!

I still love the magic of arriving at a new runway, one where I have never been.

Some day, I'll fly to California in the Bo, and when I do, I'll make a point of landing at Petaluma, just because i like it there.

This is magic stuff we get to do, and we are very lucky people. :D

KA- never lose that!

I still love the magic of arriving at a new runway, one where I have never been.

Some day, I'll fly to California in the Bo, and when I do, I'll make a point of landing at Petaluma, just because i like it there.

This is magic stuff we get to do, and we are very lucky people. :D

Yes, and today, when I asked the student pilot why he was flying when he told me he was going to save up until March and do it all at once, he said "I just HAD TO FLY today, I couldn't wait" - I knew exactly what he meant. I even gave in and asked a CFI to show us (the two of us) the Skycatcher, the Tecnam, and the other planes. I sat in them, asked questions, and almost did a check out. Then I realized how expensive they were and how they require extra steps ($50 Class D airport badge, background check)..... I decided not to.

PS - I want to agree with the "lucky" part. I know people like to complain about the FAA but a lot of folks are still AMAZED at how I can wake up tomorrow, show up at the airport, hop in a plane, and go wherever I want. For the most part without telling anyone. That makes me feel truly lucky and it keeps the magic in flying.

Back