Flying to towered airports with medical restriction of “not valid for flying by color signal control”?

Ayeveeyayshun

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ayeveeyayshun
I recently took my first class medical and failed the color vision test. I now have a limitation of “no night flying or flight by color signal control”. I fly out of a delta, and my question is, am I allowed to fly into/out of controlled airports? Would I be legal if I carry a handheld radio with me? Just want to ensure I’m not violating any regs while I get the OCVT figured out.

Thanks!

If you lose coms while enroute, you might need to divert to an uncontrolled field. Or keep the towers telephone number on speed dial in mobile phone.

I recently took my first class medical and failed the color vision test. I now have a limitation of “no night flying or flight by color signal control”. I fly out of a delta, and my question is, am I allowed to fly into/out of controlled airports? Would I be legal if I carry a handheld radio with me? Just want to ensure I’m not violating any regs while I get the OCVT figured out.

Thanks!
You're OK except at night or flying (intentionally) without a radio at a towered field.

You should consult a GOOD AME before going for the OCVT. You get one hack at that for a fully unrestricted medical. Some AMEs have an array of alternate tests, starting from Ishihara plates in good condition displayed in strong natural light that you can try before heading out to the airport.

You could also do an unofficial test. Go with up with someone else and tell the tower you've never seen signal lights and ask them to give you some. Check if you can see them, I've heard they're much brighter than expected. The reason I say "someone else" is that if you can't make them out, you want someone there who can so you can take appropriate action.

I ‘think’ what he’s saying is if he lost comms and wanted to land at a towered field.
Maybe. In that case, (a) handheld that worked would be fine (maybe cell phone too), (b) diversion to another airport if non-critical, (c) land there anyway if an emergency.

In the diversion situation a post landing call might help.

He definitely should go have them shoot some lightgun signals at him. If the field isn't busy, the controllers are usually willing to oblige.

I can tell you in 43 years of flying, I've received a light gun signal in earnest only once, and I was on the ground at the time.

He definitely should go have them shoot some lightgun signals at him. If the field isn't busy, the controllers are usually willing to oblige.

I can tell you in 43 years of flying, I've received a light gun signal in earnest only once, and I was on the ground at the time.
You’ve got me beat by one. I landed NORDO at a class D once but got no light gun signals. Not even for the taxi.

I got one once. I had a loose alternator belt and had run the battery down a bit before noticing.

I called them about 10 miles out and said I may be NORDO any second. I did have radio for final, but they shot me a green light anyway.

You could also do an unofficial test. Go with up with someone else and tell the tower you've never seen signal lights and ask them to give you some.

Get a buddy and a handheld, and stand on the ramp in view of the tower. Your buddy can ask for practice light gun signals. You tell your buddy what you see. Your buddy can confirm with tower/ground to go to the next color. Hopefully you and your buddy see the same thing. Different times of the day will have different sun angles that can help or hurt. Isn’t this how FAA does the test?

I've heard they're much brighter than expected.
Not always. The ones at KCWA are World War II surplus and the red and green are sort of mixed together. And not very bright. They advise anyone who wants to test their color sensing ability go to a newer tower such as Appleton or Eau Claire.

I failed the Ishihara (color dots), the “black box” (at the FISDO) and one other test at the FISDO - I forget what it consisted of. I passed the light gun signals - the lamest of all tests, IMO. I had the night and signal light restrictions on my certificate for about 10 years until I passed the light gun test. I am still careful with night time approaches thought - I usually do a precision approach at night regardless of visibility at airports other than my home field.

I carry a portable hooked up to an outside antenna in case of comm failure. I would never be able to see the light gun at my busy class D .

PIA for sure. What you need to do sooner rather than later. There are more than one, infact many tests to validate color vision. They may make you take more than one as you advance through more advanced pilots licenses. But get with your AME an get the waiver. It's not that hard after you brave the FAA BS. Most men have a color deficiency.

You’ve got me beat by one. I landed NORDO at a class D once but got no light gun signals. Not even for the taxi.
I did come into IAD with no transmitter. I could hear them so I didn't need the light gun. Didn't get any light signals.

Back