Flying to NYC...

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
In a 172. Looking for the least amount of hassle, and don't need the red carpet treatment.
I refuse to deal with places that charge $8/g for 100LL.

Suggestions? Or should I just take the train?

Flying into 23N looks like fun. :)

For NYC there is not many airfields with easy access to the city that don't charge $$$ for 100LL

23N does look cool, but I have never been there. Not sure what the condition of the field is, and it is pretty far into the city from there...

N07 is another really cool airfield in Jersey, nice resteraunt on field, small airport feel etc. However, I don't think there is a really good way to get from there to the city easily.

CDW has pretty high parking/landing fees

MMU has some fees but the FBOs are definitely the $6+/gal crowd

HPN is busy but not as bad as the other Class Ds around but you would have to rent a car or get to the train station to get to the city which is probably 1-1.5 hrs to get to the city from there...

Honestly even if you were willing to pay the fee$ short of flying directly into JFK there really isn't an easy or fast way to get in the city from any airport around NYC that I'm aware of.

Coming from New England if I am going to the city I usually just drive, its easier/faster than flying in unfortunately.

LDJ and take the train or uber?

Even for work, when I'm not paying for anything, I don't like flying into NYC, between the security theatre and the amount on congestion it's just not worth it IMO

Not sure about fuel prices or fees, but most people prefer Teterboro.

There are a lot of airports in new jersey, on your way in/out of new York where fuel would be more reasonable... If you decide to do it, you might consider a plan where you do your fueling outside the NYC area... Its been years but Linden or Teterboro would provide the nearest access to NYC, both by way of George Washington Bridge/NJ turnpike. I'm sorry but I cannot help you with cost estimates... I've not flown in there for 25 years...

And there are some people who wouldn't land at Linden if they were on fire! LOL

Last edited:
I've been spending one week per month in Manhattan for awhile now. I've yet to try to fly there from Nebraska but probably will this summer. Heading back to NYC this Sunday.

Let us how it goes.

Last edited:
First, do you need a car on the ground? Are you paying for a place to park it?

Next, it depends on where in NYC you are going, and where you are coming from. I wouldn't bother flying to Long Island from the south or west unless I had a need to be there.

Next, where are you going? Are you going to see family living in Queens? Go into FRG; I tend to use Sheltair -- you could just as easily use Atlantic -- they'll give you a lift or a cheap cab ride takes you to the LIRR commuter rail station. Not much purpose to going into ISP unless you need to be out that far. Same train goes to Penn Station, midtown.

Are you going to the East side of Manhattan? HPN ($7 100LL) will give you a lift to Metro North commuter rail into Grand Central.

West side of Manhattan? Fly into Caldwell and you can catch a bus to the Port Authority terminal.

From LDJ you can also get NJ Transit train to Penn Station.

NY Approach is unfailingly helpful; use advisories.

Safe flights!

Reactions: Leo
Not sure about fuel prices or fees, but most people prefer Teterboro.
Pretty sure most passengers prefer Teterboro because it is the easiest drive to Manhattan, and most of them use a car and driver or rental car. Not sure how easy it is to get to Manhattan using public transportation but I think there are some bus stops in the area. I believe you would need a ride to them, though. Uber from Teterboro might work too.

I flew my Tiger into Teterboro last spring. $17 dollar landing fee plus $40 ramp fee (the cheapest option on the field). Ramp fee was waived with purchase of minimum 10 gallons of $8/gallon 100LL.

Linden works. Uber or just call a local cab. They are readily available. I dropped my son off there and I think the cab to the train station was $10 plus the tip. Train fare into NY Penn Station is about another $10. There may be a ramp fee at Linden. They didn't charge me when I dropped off my son, though.

Reactions: Leo
I flew my Tiger into Teterboro last spring. $17 dollar landing fee plus $40 ramp fee (the cheapest option on the field). Ramp fee was waived with purchase of minimum 10 gallons of $8/gallon 100LL.

Linden works. Uber or just call a local cab. They are readily available. I dropped my son off there and I think the cab to the train station was $10 plus the tip. Train fare into NY Penn Station is about another $10. There may be a ramp fee at Linden. They didn't charge me when I dropped off my son, though.
And once you add the cab fees and the cost of your time how much do you really save? That's not sarcastic, it's a genuine question. I never did it privately so I never paid attention to the fees.

Meridian at TEB has treated me right. I use a rental because I stay in NJ, but there is a bus to the port authority from the corner of the field. Also, there is a train stop (Pascack valley line NJT, iirc Woodside stop) within 1/2 mile of the FBO, but it's commuter oriented service so you need to check the schedule. TEB is easy in and out VFR with a light plane. It is apparently miserable to get out on a IFR day. They have some quirky procedures, call up clearance before moving from your parking position. Tell them you can do an intersection or crosswind departure (if the winds are ok). That way you can bypass the conga-line of GVs and Latitudes waiting for NY approach to fit them into the departure flow. Print a copy of the airport diagram, look at Google Earth, practice your Chuck Yeager voice ;-)

I land at my home field and take the train or the Best Bus to Manhattan. I probably will beat you there.

Love this thread. We're going to NYC at the end of August for the US Open. Wish LaGuardia was an option, but there's no space for parking.

I'm looking at Teterboro and Farmindale/Republic and leaning towards FRG right now. That's a mix of cost and hearing stories of how hard it can be to get out of TEB.

I've always used Teterboro, and had a good experience. Yes, the fuel is expensive, but they will waive the ramp fee if you buy a certain amount.

You could land Princeton and have someone run you over to Princeton Junction for the NJT to Penn Station and switch to either the LIRR or the 7 train (you may have to walk a few blocks depending on the time of day).
I suppose you could go to Princeton station itself and take the Peanut over to the junction.

Land at Republic, take the bus to Babylon and take the LIRR in. Or the bus to Ronkonkoma and take the 7 train down.

Love this thread. We're going to NYC at the end of August for the US Open. Wish LaGuardia was an option, but there's no space for parking.

Even better, Flushing airport. A little GA field 2miles from La Guardia. You can still see its little cutout in the LGA class B.

There are a couple of seaplane bases. Doubt you can anchor there though maybe?

KCDW is a good option, public transportation is available nearby, parking is relatively cheap and fuel isn't too bad.

(47N) Central Jersey Regional, No landing fee, 10.00 per night parking, fuel is currently 3.90 per gallon. Short cab ride to train station, take
train to NYC. You may even find one of the regulars hanging around that will give you a ride to the train. Good luck in your travels.

I think NYC on a nice day is an incredible experience from the air, and if you're flying a 172 there, you might as well get close enough to enjoy it. In other words, carry some gas into town and land at Teterboro. $8 gas isn't a big deal when you're only buying 10 gallons. Stop screwing around with New Jersey and long train rides and do NYC like a baller.

JMO. :)

And once you add the cab fees and the cost of your time how much do you really save? That's not sarcastic, it's a genuine question. I never did it privately so I never paid attention to the fees.

For me the difference is significant. Both the cost and the convenience of taking the train (from Linden) vs. the bus (from KTEB). Travel time is similar for the two getting into midtown, although the train is more consistent because the bus has a material chance of getting caught in traffic and taking much longer. Plus, once the novelty wore off, waiting 30 minutes to depart KTEB behind a line of jets was much less convenient than departing non-towered Linden.

I can think of one circumstance where I would opt for Teterboro. If I wanted to impress my passengers. Then the ambiance of the KTEB FBOs (vs. what I will charitably call utilitarian Linden facilities) is important. And I would be hiring a limo for the trip into Manhattan from either spot.

We're going to be there 5 days with friends and then hop up to Cape Cod. Sounds like TEB and FRG may be a coin toss. One of the friends grew up in NYC and still goes there to visit family. Riding the LIRR should be pretty straightforward, if we end up going to FRG.

5days, compare parking charges. Further out and a limo may be cheaper.

For NYC there is not many airfields with easy access to the city that don't charge $$$ for 100LL

23N does look cool, but I have never been there. Not sure what the condition of the field is, and it is pretty far into the city from there...

N07 is another really cool airfield in Jersey, nice resteraunt on field, small airport feel etc. However, I don't think there is a really good way to get from there to the city easily.

CDW has pretty high parking/landing fees

MMU has some fees but the FBOs are definitely the $6+/gal crowd

HPN is busy but not as bad as the other Class Ds around but you would have to rent a car or get to the train station to get to the city which is probably 1-1.5 hrs to get to the city from there...

Honestly even if you were willing to pay the fee$ short of flying directly into JFK there really isn't an easy or fast way to get in the city from any airport around NYC that I'm aware of.

Coming from New England if I am going to the city I usually just drive, its easier/faster than flying in unfortunately.
I keep my plane at HPN ....recommend you take the train or drive.

You might look into landing at JFK and leaving the plane there. Its not going to be cheap, but it may actually be possible.

I liked HPN a few years ago. Easy commute on the train and the FBO dropped us at the station.

I'm looking at Teterboro and Farmindale/Republic and leaning towards FRG right now. That's a mix of cost and hearing stories of how hard it can be to get out of TEB.

If you are coming for the US open, do FRG. Much easier to get transportation to where you are staying and to the stadium.

Just thought here. Lyft(estimated) from TEB is $23(25 to lower Downtown) and 22 min(no traffic) to Times Square. From LDJ: $35(32 to Downtown) and 36 min(no traffic).

I've never flown either, but my friends flies TEB all the time VFR only SE

I worked there when it was Kupper Airport. I am still friends with the Kuppers now, like a second family to me.
Took flying lessons there in 1970's in their shiny new aerobat! Cool stuff for a 16 year-old! I really liked that place! Later, my dad based his Skyhawk there for a while until he moved it to Solberg... Dad's no longer flying these days, but we reminisce fondly about the place...

Took flying lessons there in 1970's in their shiny new aerobat! Cool stuff for a 16 year-old! I really liked that place! Later, my dad based his Skyhawk there for a while until he moved it to Solberg... Dad's no longer flying these days, but we reminisce fondly about the place...
Stop by someday and I'll give you the Platinum treatment. Still a really fun place with lots of Misc foolishness.

Stop by someday and I'll give you the Platinum treatment. Still a really fun place with lots of Misc foolishness.
I'm in NC now and since dad moved down here I don't get up there much anymore... But appreciate the invite...

Is it possible to fly the Skyline Route to KTEB, i.e., fly north up the hudson to Teterboro? I flew the Hudson River Exclusion SFRA Friday for the first time, it was outstanding.

Is it possible to fly the Skyline Route to KTEB, i.e., fly north up the hudson to Teterboro? I flew the Hudson River Exclusion SFRA Friday for the first time, it was outstanding.

Yeah, just call up Teterboro tower on 119.5, did it yesterday in a helicopter actually.

Back