Flying to (Near Cooperstown)

duc750sport

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
duc750sport
Just curious if anyone knows any GA friendly airports in the area of the Baseball HOF.. I'd like to do a flight up that way (From Jersey).. Renting a car from the airport is ok..
Thanks!

I was thinking of going up there this summer...Looks like there is a grass strip k23 close to town.

Oneonta? I'd recommend the Neptune diner, but it looks like they closed a couple years ago.

I've used K23 once or twice, but not in the past year or so. It was okay. It was better-maintained than most of the grass strips around here. If you basically need a runway and a tie-down that's close to Cooperstown and don't mind grass, then I'd say it's your best bet. But again, it's been a while since I've been there.

If you want asphalt or need ILS, then N66 is your best bet. It's maybe 35 minutes by car and a fairly pretty ride.

Rich

Last edited:
I did Oneonta (N66). Nice airport, great folks, and rental car available with prior reservation. Stayed the night in Oneonta & spent the better part of 2 days in Cooperstown.

That would be my choice.

I flew into K23 about 10 years ago. It was very nice, at least back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my list of places to see. I'll have to flight plan and check hotels, a nice get-away now that I can fly weekdays!

K23 was a nice grass strip,well maintained,haven't been there in a few years.

KVGC, Hamilton, NY. Reserve a rental car at Nilles Ford . The baseball owners fly in here for summer meetings at Cooperstown. So do often the inductees.

Just curious if anyone knows any GA friendly airports in the area of the Baseball HOF.. I'd like to do a flight up that way (From Jersey).. Renting a car from the airport is ok..
Thanks!
Sidney is doable, as is Utica.

Might as well fly into Oneonta. You can visit the National Soccer Hall of Fame as well, located right in the city there ... much better sport than baseball! :goofy:

I lived nearby there in Stamford for some time. Beautiful countryside. If you have your rental car, I highly recommend a drive down into the Catskills.

Sidney is doable, as is Utica.

The closed the nice municipal airport in Utica a few years ago. There is one small strip to the SE of the town, but it doesn't seem to have too much in the way of services. Avoid Rome (Old Griffiss AFB, the parking charge is a rip off, fuel is expensive, and the service indifferent.

Might as well fly into Oneonta. You can visit the National Soccer Hall of Fame as well, located right in the city there ... much better sport than baseball! :goofy:

I lived nearby there in Stamford for some time. Beautiful countryside. If you have your rental car, I highly recommend a drive down into the Catskills.

X 2... our favorite place to visit when home is the Farmers Museum just north of Cooperstown plus the Hanford mill in the town of Davenport. and always hit the Bear Pond winery, just north of Oneonta on rt.28 and the Fly Creek Cider Mill just up the road.

The closed the nice municipal airport in Utica a few years ago. There is one small strip to the SE of the town, but it doesn't seem to have too much in the way of services. Avoid Rome (Old Griffiss AFB, the parking charge is a rip off, fuel is expensive, and the service indifferent.

thanks for the update. we use Sidney, and a private when we are back there.

Thanks for the tips all.. We flew into Oneonta.. Had Enterprise come pick us up and spent the day at Cooperstown. Greeted us at the plane with two bottles of water, got fuel and they tied the plane down. We didn't stay overnight but will next time for sure. Good Fun!

Back