Flying to KMCO

EminiTrader

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Emini Trader
Hey guys

I have family flying into MCO this Friday. Normally I fly down to KISM grab a crew car and pick them up.

This time I want to fly right to MCO and pick them up..

I've flown into 2 Class Bravos before but not nearly as large as Orlando.

Any tips, tricks, or gotchas I need to be aware of?

Hey guys

I have family flying into MCO this Friday. Normally I fly down to KISM grab a crew car and pick them up.

This time I want to fly right to MCO and pick them up..

I've flown into 2 Class Bravos before but not nearly as large as Orlando.

Any tips, tricks, or gotchas I need to be aware of?

VFR or IFR? If VFR try to approach the Bravo from the west side. That will help you get your desired runway, 18R / 36L. That runway was closed for a while, but I believe it's open now. If that runway is unavailable try for 18L / 36R. Anything else and you will have quite a taxi, as both Signature and Galaxy are on the west side..

If landing south on the 18's, be prepared for ATC to instruct you to maintain 2500 until passing ORL, in order to keep you clear of KORL traffic.. This puts you a bit high in the approach, but is plenty doable especially in a smaller airplane.

Overall I have found KMCO to be a fairly easy airport, both in the air and on the ground.

Have fun!

I'll be going IFR just to be in the system. Figured it'd be easier. It did appear to be a "straight shot" in and out if I can get 18L/36R. Haven't checked notams yet.

I appreciate the input!

I'll be going IFR just to be in the system. Figured it'd be easier. It did appear to be a "straight shot" in and out if I can get 18L/36R. Haven't checked notams yet.

I appreciate the input!
Be sure to let us know how it goes. I have thought about doing this, but have always opted for the KISM strategy.

What are you flying,once your in the system ,should be no problem,controllers are very professional. Good luck,let us know how it went.

I have flown into MCO many times in a Mooney. No problem at all. Sometimes if landing to the south you get vectored west, then in on a high right base and slam dunked for landing. Not really a problem because the runway is long, just watch your speed. The FBOs are happy to shuttle you over to meet your pax, and then bring you back to your airplane.

Be sure to let us know how it goes. I have thought about doing this, but have always opted for the KISM strategy.

I absolutely will!

What are you flying,once your in the system ,should be no problem,controllers are very professional. Good luck,let us know how it went.

Thanks Ron! I'll be in a Cirrus SR22

I have flown into MCO many times in a Mooney. No problem at all. Sometimes if landing to the south you get vectored west, then in on a high right base and slam dunked for landing. Not really a problem because the runway is long, just watch your speed. The FBOs are happy to shuttle you over to meet your pax, and then bring you back to your airplane.

They did that to me at Louisville Innl - and asked me to maintain 145 knots on final :) Broke out at 600 feet and pulled back the throttle...

I also have thought about doing the MCO thing but have always done KISM instead. I appreciate the upcoming pirep.

The cheap gas and the cheap rental car at the Kissimmee Jet Center are pretty nice but I am sure that you can find some things at MCO that will be nice. I am wondering about the landing/ramp fees there.

** Update **

I ended up NOT going to KMCO. I started my multi-training the day I went - so we went to KORL and used the crew car to drive down to MCO and get a passenger.

Sitting in the cell phone lot, I tuned into liveatc and saw 1 GA plane land in the middle of a bunch of jets. Seemed to be straight forward - so I will do it next time.

BUT I am LOVING multi engines!

I also have thought about doing the MCO thing but have always done KISM instead. I appreciate the upcoming pirep.

The cheap gas and the cheap rental car at the Kissimmee Jet Center are pretty nice but I am sure that you can find some things at MCO that will be nice. I am wondering about the landing/ramp fees there.

It's ridiculous - they wanted around $85 unless I put on 30 gallons.. Kinda glad I didn't go for that reason alone!

Back